I know there are some threads on "Reverse Tethering" on the forums, but nothing not using a ROM or nothing for the fascinate. Basically I'm doing some help at another department in my job for a month, so I'll be out of WiFi, but I still have LAN. I want to use my PC's LAN on my phone connecting to the PC using the USB cable. I don't mind adding an app to my phone, but I cannot add programs to the PC that I'll be using. My phone is only Rooted. Is there anything out of the box for us? I know we have DUN, but I don't know how that can be used for this.
    06-23-2011 12:14 PM
    I know there are some threads on "Reverse Tethering" on the forums, but nothing not using a ROM or nothing for the fascinate. Basically I'm doing some help at another department in my job for a month, so I'll be out of WiFi, but I still have LAN. I want to use my PC's LAN on my phone connecting to the PC using the USB cable. I don't mind adding an app to my phone, but I cannot add programs to the PC that I'll be using. My phone is only Rooted. Is there anything out of the box for us? I know we have DUN, but I don't know how that can be used for this.
    Not sure how to go about getting internet through a USB cable, but one option might be to pop a simple USB wireless adapter into a computer where you'll be, create a wireless network and share the computer's internet with that connection, then connect to that with your phone's WiFi. I've never done it personally, but in theory, it should work... I think...
    06-23-2011 07:58 PM
    You can share the lan connection using bluetooth...
    06-24-2011 04:04 PM
    Not sure how to go about getting internet through a USB cable, but one option might be to pop a simple USB wireless adapter into a computer where you'll be, create a wireless network and share the computer's internet with that connection, then connect to that with your phone's WiFi. I've never done it personally, but in theory, it should work... I think...
    if he has lan he already has a way to connect,...he can do it thru wifi on the lan
    06-26-2011 10:59 PM
    if he has lan he already has a way to connect,...he can do it thru wifi on the lan
    He said he was out of WiFi range, presumably the network's WiFi. Just because he has local computers on a LAN doesn't necessarily mean WiFi is available. That's why I suggested he could just pop a USB wireless adapter in a local PC, create a WiFi network then share the PC's hard-wired connection.
    06-27-2011 07:41 AM
    If you can't add any software to the PC, you will need to get a small wi-fi router or bridge, set it up for mac level security, no broadcasting, WPA2 (if possible) and plug it into a spare ethernet port where you can hide it (a jack under a desk, for example). That will give you access and shouldn't come under scrutiny from any local IT people. Note: I do not endorse breaking your local IT policies in any way, blah blah blah, you bear responsibility for your actions.

There is no "magic" app that will let you plug a phone (or any other device) into a USB port and suck internet out of the host without a dedicated software tool on the host.
    06-27-2011 08:33 AM
    damn. Too risky. Well I'll be starting a tech support job in my current company but they are super vigilant on what you do on the pcs, so no facebook or android central for me. Since we can DUN or tether devices to the phone without having to add extra software I thought maybe the reverse could be done. Oh well. Thanks.
    07-09-2011 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD