Can someone clarify. In the leaked Verizon sales docs, Verizon states that swapping batterys might lead to a less than optimal experience. Another member stated that they had to do a factor reset when changing the battery on Sprints Nexus. So, with NFC tied to the battery, how big of a headache is this going to cause? If it is a big deal, why the heck would VZN sell a spare battery/dual charger as leaked earlier this week? Any insight on this would be appreciated.
    12-07-2011 06:33 PM
    We will have to wait and see.

Ifixit tore a battery apart to only find an antenna no nfc hardware.

That would lead me to believe the contacts just connect an antenna from the battery to the phone where the nfc is actually housed. If that is the case then there shouldnt be an issue swapping batteries unless there is some sort of info embedded in the antenna somehow that nfc looks for...However from that pic there looks to be only 2 contact points and no data storage capability...
    12-07-2011 06:38 PM
    I think what Verizon is warning against is just buying a replacement battery somewhere without checking it has the NFC antenna in it. A phone without the NFC antenna would lead to a less than optimal experience. Or if you bought a replacement with lower capacity (like getting the GSM battery for the LTE model).

As far as saying a member had to do a factory reset after swapping batteries in their NS - is swapping the battery the only explanation for having to reset the phone? Could have been anything else.
    12-07-2011 06:43 PM
    I think what Verizon is warning against is just buying a replacement battery somewhere without checking it has the NFC antenna in it. A phone without the NFC antenna would lead to a less than optimal experience. Or if you bought a replacement with lower capacity (like getting the GSM battery for the LTE model).

As far as saying a member had to do a factory reset after swapping batteries in their NS - is swapping the battery the only explanation for having to reset the phone? Could have been anything else.
    I've been trying to find the thread with no luck. It's was in the leaked docs with the "warning" from Verizon. If I remember right (I've read a lot of threads) it was a battery/NFC relationship that required him/her to do a hard reset every time. I hope not, that would suck.
    12-07-2011 06:57 PM
    Folks, it's a whole lot of nothing.

Let's put it this way: is there any point in Verizon selling extra batteries and external charging kits if they didn't intend on folks changing batteries in a non-disruptive way?

Worst off, all it means is that they are encouraging you to buy authentic Samsung batteries, and they may have some sort of battery signature to prevent you from using NFC if you buy an aftermarket battery without an antenna on it.
    12-07-2011 07:02 PM
    This is one quote f/VZN " Customers attempting to use more than one battery with the Galaxy Nexus may have less than an optimal experience since the NFC chip within the battery must register a token between the device and the battery each time the battery is swapped."
    12-07-2011 07:11 PM
    " Posted by dodgebusta

December 6, 2011 - 19:24

I have a NS4G and I have broken my back cover 3 times now. Each time I have to do a factory reset to beable to use the NFC. Guy at sprint said "how many times will you ever have to switch your back cover?" When I asked him why I have to do a factory reset. Later I found out after some angry calls to sprint and Samsung that their has to be a calibration done when changing antennas and there is not native way other than doing a reset. I am not sure how ICS will handle the NFC antenna swap but the NS4G sucks. But then again how many people break their back covers as often as I did before I went to the seidio active case. Just my .02 cents worth."
    12-07-2011 07:16 PM
    " Posted by dodgebusta

December 6, 2011 - 19:24

I have a NS4G and I have broken my back cover 3 times now. Each time I have to do a factory reset to beable to use the NFC. Guy at sprint said "how many times will you ever have to switch your back cover?" When I asked him why I have to do a factory reset. Later I found out after some angry calls to sprint and Samsung that their has to be a calibration done when changing antennas and there is not native way other than doing a reset. I am not sure how ICS will handle the NFC antenna swap but the NS4G sucks. But then again how many people break their back covers as often as I did before I went to the seidio active case. Just my .02 cents worth."
    Interesting. I have the NS4G but have never had to change the cover (houses the NFC antenna).

Swapping batteries would be a real pain if the same method is needed for the GN.
    12-07-2011 09:28 PM
    P3droid tweeted that NFC still was working fine with the extended battery.
    12-07-2011 10:39 PM
    P3droid tweeted that NFC still was working fine with the extended battery.
    Did he state whether he had to do a reset when he switched the battery?
    12-07-2011 11:04 PM
    We will have to wait and see.

Ifixit tore a battery apart to only find an antenna no nfc hardware.

Click to view quoted image

That would lead me to believe the contacts just connect an antenna from the battery to the phone where the nfc is actually housed. If that is the case then there shouldnt be an issue swapping batteries unless there is some sort of info embedded in the antenna somehow that nfc looks for...However from that pic there looks to be only 2 contact points and no data storage capability...
    The battery sends a token to the NFC chip to authenticate it as 'real' before the user's information is able to be accessed by it. That's why they warn that there may be issues, and why you'll be unlikely to ever be able to use a non-samsung battery and have NFC work.
    12-08-2011 01:02 AM
    The battery sends a token to the NFC chip to authenticate it as 'real' before the user's information is able to be accessed by it. That's why they warn that there may be issues, and why you'll be unlikely to ever be able to use a non-samsung battery and have NFC work.
    Thanks, so not a big deal to swap battery then as long as its a Samsung?
    12-08-2011 05:36 AM
    Hello!

I just found this thread, and thought I share some facts... I recently found out about the battery-NFC binding thing regarding the GNEX.

I bought 2 spare batteries, but it turned out that I can't use NFC with either of them. The batteries look exactly the same as the one that came with the phone; Samsung brand, QR code and everything. OK, it still can be fake, but the main question is, can I register a new battery in some way...?
    03-14-2012 04:39 AM
    Hello!

I just found this thread, and thought I share some facts... I recently found out about the battery-NFC binding thing regarding the GNEX.

I bought 2 spare batteries, but it turned out that I can't use NFC with either of them. The batteries look exactly the same as the one that came with the phone; Samsung brand, QR code and everything. OK, it still can be fake, but the main question is, can I register a new battery in some way...?
    I have the spare battery and charger from Verizon. I hate to state the obvious, but look at your battery and under SAMSUNG on the top, the very next line of text should say "Near Field Communications." If it doesn't say that then I think you got batteries that work for the GNex, but don't have NFC in it.
    03-19-2012 03:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD