Got the Otterbox Defender : )

shanimal92

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=748nla033aI[/YT]I have to say, its a tough little case. When i say little, i do mean little; at least compared to what i thought it was going to look like in my mind after seeing the pictures on Droid Life. It does add quit a bit of heft to it, but to all my fellow ex OG Droid owners out we will feel right at home. I like they way it feels in my hand a lot more than it did naked, or even with the TPU case on it. To me, i like the extra thickness to accommodate the width of the phone. Not saying that its to thin, or to wide, just saying that it feels just right to me. For people without large hands, like me, holding the phone like you usually hold it, and then having to shift the phone to click the search button, menu button, or notification panel can be kind of awkward unless you're laying on your back and you can rest your phone on your belly. The "grippiness" makes it easier to handle so you don't have to have a solid grip to feel like it wont fall out of your hands; if it does fall, you will be safe : ) I was also worried that the bezel at the top would interfere with swiping the notifications bar down but it doesn't (pic below)

The same thing that makes this phone awesome to hold is also the same thing that makes it a pain in the ass to get in and out of your pocket, the rubber. The first couple times putting the phone in and out of my pocket was the equivalent of a P90X Arms and Shoulder workout! Seriously, i got agitated after a while. You get used to it though. i usually just grab the tip of my phone and pull it out because i usually don't have a case. Now i have to grab at least half of the phone to pull it out. Not a big deal, just a dishonorable mention. I really dont like the built in screen protector on this thing. once on, it makes a "rainbowey" effect on the screen; almost like its greasy. I have cleaned and cleaned but it hasnt come off so im convinced its just the look of it. the problem is, its not removable. well, lets me say it this way, its not removable AND replaceable. the screen protector is atttached by the same glue stuff you find on the back of gift cards that keep them attached to the piece of paper they're on. if you take it off, its off for good unless you glue it back on. I personally tore it off, i couldnt stand the greasy look on my screen. i heard the Steinheil protectors or good so ill eventually get one of those.

This case was a very good investment, and i am very happy i bought it.

Last edited:

HWill

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have this case but I dont like it. I have big hands and think it is huge. The main thing I didn't like was the screen protector. I'll be taking it back tomorrow.

TurbineTech

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I agree with OP and PaulDroid.

I love my Defender and feel secure in the fact that if I drop it no harm will come to my investment. I think I will go naked if I go out on weekends, but as far as everyday use and my job is concerned you can bet the Otterbox Defender will bring some much needed peace of mind. :)

whitecomet

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
beefy lol. in line with a rezound imagine that beast with a defender. I like otter box but I might try the incipio silcrylic it looks like a good option.

TurbineTech

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
No, unfortunately not. I bought the extended battery as well and was sad to find that it's not compatible. I'll end up selling the extended batt and buying the charger kit/plus extra battery.

I forgot to mention above, that Otterbox is usually synonymous with bulk. I was surprised at how much bulk the defender does NOT add the the Gnex. Couldn't be happier...

shanimal92

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
yea, i heard it works with it. which is awesome because i usually have to choose between the two on all my phones. like my moms Rezound/christmas gift, Otterbox or extended.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i have the defender and tried the extended battery. it is a very tight fit, and i felt like that kind of pressure shouldn't be applied to the phone everyday

kinda sucks, wish they would've adjusted this to fit one right

if i'm maybe doing something wrong with the fitting, please let me know...i would really like to get an extended battery for this thing!

Last edited:

TurbineTech

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Maybe ya'll have purchased a different Otterbox Defender than the one I got? I tried to get it to work with my extended battery and cover, but it would not fit. The extended battery cover is missing that divet which is molded into the back plate of the Defender. This caused the phone to stick out far enough that the case would not snap shut. Atleast for me.

Would love some pics or ideas? I'd like to be able to use my battery. :-[

Laramie

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
i have the defender and tried the extended battery. it is a very tight fit, and i felt like that kind of pressure shouldn't be applied to the phone everyday

kinda sucks, wish they would've adjusted this to fit one right

if i'm maybe doing something wrong with the fitting, please let me know...i would really like to get an extended battery for this thing!

I got the same impression. I had snapped all of the corners shut and it was such a tight fit, it seems like there was a lot of pressure on the phone. I didn't feel comfortable with it so I got a different case.

Kaizmuth

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I got the defender/holster combo. The case is great, but it takes a serious effort to get it to snap into the holster. I'm hoping it gets easier over time, but after 4 days it's still a pain to snap in.

Jim_1234

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
It works fine with my extended battery. I click the top one in 1st. Then I do the sides and finish with the bottom. It is snug but it fits fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma