Seidio Active w/holster arrived - thoughts & pics..

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So my Seidio Active w/holster combo arrived today and I quickly tore it open.

The first thing I did was put the phone in with the stock battery to ensure it fit well - which it did. I then took it back off and put in the extended battery with door.

It fits perfectly fine as well - the only noticeable difference between the 2 is the space between the rubber sleeve and plastic skeleton just beneath the speaker cut out. That space is perhaps a half a mm larger than with the stock battery/door.

My only complaint would be the built-in kickstand is not so great - the phone will tip over very easily if it's bumped.

So far I really like it. Pics below:

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

Any questions feel free to ask.

~Bill

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey, great review there. Looks pretty functional. I was wondering...can you take internal measurements of the Active holster. Perhaps from the bottom edge of the interior of the holster to the top of the spring clip (preferably to the lowest and highest inside points of the spring clip). Edge to edge across measurements would be helpful too.

I'd like to compare it's dimensions against that of my Seidio Surface case and holster. I'm trying to determine if the Active holster is a better fit for my Otterbox Commuter case than my Surface holster.

I'm also going to amend my review on the Otterbox Commuter and Seidio Surface to reflect calipered dimensions of the case installed to reflect thickness, height, and width.

Would you mind doing the same for comparison's sake?

My initial thoughts on the Active, based on your review and pictures...I would have preferred more exterior hard plastic coverage.

Thanks.

Paul.

Last edited:

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Sure Paul - but I don't have a caliper so these aren't going to be perfect measurements by any stretch.

Top of inside clip to bottom inside of holster - inside dimensions at the highest are approximately 5 1/2" and at the lowest point of the clip (kind of where the rubber "bumper" is installed are about 5 1/4". The width of that U shaped area is about 1/2".

Side to side is about 2 13/16".

I'm assuming by thickness you mean from the back of the belt clip the outermost point on the top spring clip? If so it's approximately 1 1/2" thick. If that's not what you're looking for let me know and I can re-measure what you want.

Based on past experience with an iPhone 3GS and having the Commuter with Surface holster combo - I'd have to guess the Active Holster will fit better. When I had an iPhone my Surface holster barely fit the OB Commuter case without a lot of pushing - and it was a bear to remove one handed. Never had an Active on my old 3GS (not sure they ever made one for it back then). I really liked that old Surface being a 2-piece upper and lower portion deal where you slid the phone into the upper portion from below and then the bottom slid over the lower part of the phone and snapped into the top part of the case - rather than the 2 piece snap-together top/bottom half clamshell like most of the Surfaces are now - seemed much more secure to me.

I sort of agree with you about more plastic on the Commuter being better. But on my DX the rubber areas on my Active "smoothed out" and got sort of "shiny" fairly quickly and became less and less of a lint magnet with use - but initially that Seidio rubber sleeve does indeed pick up a lot of lint. Hope the same holds true with the GNex version.

I'm still probably going to get a Commuter since I do prefer the build quality of the Otterbox products to Sedio and I like the ports being covered vs. open. My concern with the Commuter was how well it worked with the extended battery. My other concern is the lower corners of the Commuter being rubber vs. the hard plastic on the Active - I think the hard plastic corners work better with the corners of the holster as far as in/out of the holster goes.

I still may end up going commando once Seidio releases a naked holster. We'll see...

Last edited:

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Bill,

Thanks for your measurements. I really appreciate it. Referring to my thickness measurement requests, it would be helpful if you could measure the inside space between one of the lower corners of the holster. On my surface holster, the space between the felt back to the inside of one of the corners is about 11/16"

If you feel so inclined, you can take overall measurements of your phone installed Active case as well. I'm preparing similar efforts now so to update my reviews threads on this forum.

Expanding on your comments, I agree that hard corners on the case would likely aid in an easier slide into the holster as opposed to the softer silicone corners. I would like to hope that the silicone will break in similarly to the Seidio's and smooth out better as well.

Thanks again,

Paul.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey Paul,

Oddly enough that inside holster measurement for me is also 11/16". Weird as I figured the Active would be a fair amount larger than the Surface.

The overall top/bottom of the cased phone is 5 7/16" and the width is 2 7/8" - overall thickness at the thickest point near the bottom is about 5/8".

Hope that helps.

samkatz

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
thank you for posting. Will go ahead and order since it works w/std battery w./o altering the products or leaving off the Gnex cover.

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey Paul,

Oddly enough that inside holster measurement for me is also 11/16". Weird as I figured the Active would be a fair amount larger than the Surface.

The overall top/bottom of the cased phone is 5 7/16" and the width is 2 7/8" - overall thickness at the thickest point near the bottom is about 5/8".

Hope that helps.

Wow, that is IDENTICAL to my dimensions with the Otterbox Commuter case. My guess is that there is only a VERY slight dimensional difference between the Seidio Active holster and the Seidio Surface holster. I will be reinstalling my Seidio Surface case and re-measuring it's measurements to see how it differs from the Active/Commuter measurements. But yes, for the record it would appear that both your Seidio Active case and my Otterbox Commuter case both share identical dimensions. Now if I can confirm that the Surface case is a different size, particularly shorter in height overall, I would guess that the Active holster would be a better fit for my Commuter.

Thanks...this helps tremendously. BTW, I updated my pics for the Commuter to reflect images with and without the extended battery cover installed. Also pure measurements as well, but I think we got that out of the way already. :)

GNex + Otterbox + Extended Battery +/- Battery Cover

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Took a couple of measurements from both Seidio Surface and Otterbox Commuter cases, using calipers. Measurements as follows...

Seidio: 5.445"H, 2.79"W
Otterbox: 5.50H, 2.86"W

Very little difference. I'm relatively surprised that either of the Seidio holsters would have been suffice for either of the Active or Surface cases. I'd love to physically have both holsters in hand to do a precise measurement of both. I'd hate to order an Active holster, just to conclude that it's no different than the Surface case that I already have.

I'll have to chew this one over. Thanks again, Bill.

Eggshen

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
It looks like this has a kickstand? I'm just starting to look for cases that have kickstands that can fit with the extended battery. Can you show any pictures with the case using the kickstand portrait and landscape please? From the side and the front? I want to see how far back the phone is angled when the kickstand is used.

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It looks like this has a kickstand? I'm just starting to look for cases that have kickstands that can fit with the extended battery. Can you show any pictures with the case using the kickstand portrait and landscape please? From the side and the front? I want to see how far back the phone is angled when the kickstand is used.

I sure can once my kids are in bed.

You cannot use the Seidio kickstand in portrait mode. It's pretty iffy even in landscape mode too and I'd not suggest anyone buy an Active if the kickstand is a major need. It's just not very well implemented IMO and phone is not terribly stable when it's deployed.

Eggshen

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I sure can once my kids are in bed.

You cannot use the Seidio kickstand in portrait mode. It's pretty iffy even in landscape mode too and I'd not suggest anyone buy an Active if the kickstand is a major need. It's just not very well implemented IMO and phone is not terribly stable when it's deployed.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take your word on it. I'll keep waiting then. :)

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Bill, I decided to order the Active holster a few days ago to test my Otterbox Commuter alongside my existing Surface case. It was to inconclusive between our two mearements to fully know whether or not there's a size variance. I'm banking that there's a bit more height clearance on the Active. We'll see.

icedmayhem

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
been debating on ordering the active case, i have the seidio innocase with holster, what is the code on the holster that they list which is located right under the rotating clip. curious to see if i can save without getting the whole kit. mine on my holster is ssgnlasc