Do you honestly need a screen protector?

Josh515

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
GET A SCREEN PROTECTOR. I just picked up some of the clear Verizon screen protectors and as I went to put one on I noticed there is one tiny, tiny scratch on my screen. It looks smaller then a piece of dust, but it's definitely a scratch. Then I noticed another very thin scratch on the left size of the screen that looks just like a hair, but can only be seen under bright light and if you look at it on a specific angle. I have not dropped my phone and only have ever carried it in my front pocket with nothing else in there with it.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
GET A SCREEN PROTECTOR. I just picked up some of the clear Verizon screen protectors and as I went to put one on I noticed there is one tiny, tiny scratch on my screen. It looks smaller then a piece of dust, but it's definitely a scratch. Then I noticed another very thin scratch on the left size of the screen that looks just like a hair, but can only be seen under bright light and if you look at it on a specific angle. I have not dropped my phone and only have ever carried it in my front pocket with nothing else in there with it.

Pocket + no screen protector = scratches. Android central really needs to do a big article on what actually scratches screens and how its everywhere and dispel the myths about keys and change.

delkhouri

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Verizon screen protector when I bought my phone. I absolutely hate it. It collects fingerprints and the screen protector is full of tiny scratches that i can feel when i use my phone. Its only been 10 days but I am about ready to put another screen protector on. I cant handle feeling all the scratches on the screen protector. I am thankful that i have it on tho, because if any of those scratches were on my phone it would drive me nuts.

Are there any screen protectors that don't scratch up so easily?

Last edited:

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I keep a screen protector and case because I like to keep my phones value high because I change devices like I do socks. And I can guarantee scratches if you don't use them just from everyday use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Verizon screen protector when I bought my phone. I absolutely hate it. It collects fingerprints and the screen protector is full of tiny scratches that i can feel when i use my phone. Its only been 10 days but I am about ready to put another screen protector on. I cant handle feeling all the scratches on the screen protector. I am thankful that i have it on tho, because if any of those scratches were on my phone it would drive me nuts.

Are there any screen protectors that don't scratch up so easily?

Steinheil Ultra Series

RodBarnes

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I love the look of my GN without anything on it. I read this whole thread and all the declarations about keys, coins, etc. not damaging the screen.

Maybe I'm the only one here who still wears glasses but if you do, when was the last time you looked at your lenses? Those little scratches you see (that start appearing after about 12-18 months when the scratch-resistant coating wears off) likely didn't come from a key or coins. They come from the tiny grains of dust in the air that settle on everything, including the rag you wipe your glasses clean with -- or the shirt/rag you use to clean the fingerprints from your GN screen.

I expect the scratch-resistant coating Samsung uses is probably similar to that which they use on glasses and will wear off after 12-18 months -- maybe less since it gets rubbed way more often than once a day like lenses.

I bought a Zagg yesterday.

Reactions: crzycrkr

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I love the look of my GN without anything on it. I read this whole thread and all the declarations about keys, coins, etc. not damaging the screen.

Maybe I'm the only one here who still wears glasses but if you do, when was the last time you looked at your lenses? Those little scratches you see (that start appearing after about 12-18 months when the scratch-resistant coating wears off) likely didn't come from a key or coins. They come from the tiny grains of dust in the air that settle on everything, including the rag you wipe your glasses clean with -- or the shirt/rag you use to clean the fingerprints from your GN screen.

I expect the scratch-resistant coating Samsung uses is probably similar to that which they use on glasses and will wear off after 12-18 months -- maybe less since it gets rubbed way more often than once a day like lenses.

I bought a Zagg yesterday.

Someone with some common sense. Welcome. All I will say, is return that POS Zagg and get a good protector. Those things are horrible.

luigidk

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
So YES - need a screen protector.

And +99999 on the Steinheil.

As many of us have said - the negative comments about screen protectors are due to BAD screen protectors. Spend just a little bit more - get a good one - and the screen protector will enhance your overall experience. The fact you get protection is just a plus...

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the clear VZW screen protector paired with the blue silicone case and I don't mind it so far.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a sock until I find one that's adequate. Phone into sock, sock/phone into spacey pocket. So far, so good. No sand, keys, or coins!

Plus, there are some basic rules for phones in pockets. Screen in, no tight pants, keys/changes/other stuff in one pocket (i.e. you need a dedicated phone pocket), etc. I feel confident that this will work at least temporarily.

acousticgtarist#AC

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I scratched the screen of my Incredible in an empty jeans pocket, in a pair of jeans that were washed that same day. It really doesn't take much, but I'm sure some people get by luckier than others. If you want to keep it scratch free, use a protector...it's a no brainer.

philbw

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I didn't realize people really used screen protectors much anymore. I stopped using them when I got my Palm Centro. It said it had a "scratch resistant screen." Sure enough two years later I can look at that thing with a magnifying glass and find maybe a tiny ding or two. These days I just use a hard protective shell around the phone to give it a bezel around the screen.

Bottom line is that for as few scratches as these things actually get in the two years between upgrades its just not worth starring at a piece of plastic that I applied myself.

Note: I work in an industrial environment and drop my phones quite often, it's not like it lives a life of luxury on a desk.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I didn't realize people really used screen protectors much anymore. I stopped using them when I got my Palm Centro. It said it had a "scratch resistant screen." Sure enough two years later I can look at that thing with a magnifying glass and find maybe a tiny ding or two. These days I just use a hard protective shell around the phone to give it a bezel around the screen.

Bottom line is that for as few scratches as these things actually get in the two years between upgrades its just not worth starring at a piece of plastic that I applied myself.

Note: I work in an industrial environment and drop my phones quite often, it's not like it lives a life of luxury on a desk.

The smart ones do. Screen protector tech has gotten so good that it is nearly impossible to tell they're there if you know the right brands to get. With the cost of these phones, it makes no sense to not spend the $15 to protect the screen.

RodBarnes

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Someone with some common sense. Welcome. All I will say, is return that POS Zagg and get a good protector. Those things are horrible.

Hmmm... So far, the Zagg works okay. It actually fits the screen exactly such that it looks naked. It does have a rubbery feel to it which took getting use to. But I use Swype and am able to drag around on the screen fine. Since it is on, I'll keep with it for now until I have a reason to change.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm... So far, the Zagg works okay. It actually fits the screen exactly such that it looks naked. It does have a rubbery feel to it which took getting use to. But I use Swype and am able to drag around on the screen fine. Since it is on, I'll keep with it for now until I have a reason to change.

I can't stand the rubbery feel and the orange peel. Since you have it one, good luck. Next time around, try a Steinheil or another high quality protector and you'll immediately notice the difference.

naqzar

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I had the XO Skin and hated the rubbery feel so I ordered the sgp oleophobic dry ones. I had them before on my fascinate and loved it. I dislike that they are cut shorter because of the curved glass but it really does have the glass like feel that I love.

mjd9ball

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Finally got the right Ghost Armor model today, will apply and post pics after a day or so. I've had Ghost Armor on my last few phones and like it - clear, not tacky, and tough. I don't have anything against the other brands, just never tried them...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Finally got the right Ghost Armor model today, will apply and post pics after a day or so. I've had Ghost Armor on my last few phones and like it - clear, not tacky, and tough. I don't have anything against the other brands, just never tried them...

They're really not tacky? That's the sole reason I haven't gotten a Zagg or XO protector. I detest the tackiness!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Each of the phones that I have put the ghost armor on have been tacky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12