We need a screen protector shootout.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I want the absolute best screen protector for my Galaxy Nexus. No touch input lag, no screen degradation. And while there are a few review threads of certain brands, there's nothing that really compares them all. No before and afters coupled with conflicting quality reports makes finding the right one even more confusing; people saying that some have a rubbery feel, others don't work properly with a case... why anti-glare is/isn't bad because of AMOLED diffraction. Forget about us having it bad just think of the general consumer.

We either need someone to sit down with a bunch of these things or get everyone to collectively do the same style review. Pics of screen off/on, possibly a video showing input response (multitouch preferred) slash texture analysis, and definitely the before and after shots. Nothing crazy, just simple pictures on a desk: http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_phot...axy-nexus-hands-on-58-1020-2_gallery_post.jpg

I don't expect anyone to heed my call but I felt these issues were enough to warrant something like this. I think it would benefit everyone, even with everything I'm reading I know I still don't have a clue which screen protector to get.

SigEpFlipper

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I too purchased the Galaxy Nexus and have been stuck with the Verizon anti-glare screen protector that obviously takes away from the quality of the screen. I can't seem to find any good reviews for screen protectors and I'm too paranoid to go without one.

naqzar

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
If you can get past it being cut a little short (not noticable on the top or bottom but it covers just the screen portion side to side) the sgp ultra oleophobic is my favorite. I have tried the verizon anti-glare, XO skin, and now this one. It feels like glass, doesn't dull the screen, and it doesn't get finger prints like crazy.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
IMO screen protectors are sort of like cassette tapes, something who's time has passed away. I used to use Seidio hard plastic ones, but that was on a BB. The glass on these is so tough I don't think they are needed anymore on these modern smartphones. Only the companies benefit, not us.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP. I never used Screen Protectors on my phones because they all looked or acted cheap. But now Im starting to see some good reviews from people who have some top notch ones. And Im considering getting one even though Im OCD with my phones and take care of it real nice, I still want the feeling of a better garentee.

After looking at the display unit in the Verizon store when I went to get my replacement, I thought twice about the screen. People man handled that phone and the screen was like goused into bad. Probably with there teeth!

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Well then you should sprayclean a few of those screens and see if there are any scratches, that could be "the ultimate screentest" lol. I''ve seen or used a bunch of the once popular/ all that ones using spray or water that they supposedly use on Army helicopter blades (riiiiight) and they were a joke (bubble, scratches). Jeez, I saw a kiosk at a big mall in Scottsdale the other day and they were pimping screen savers and gorilla skins on TV monitors, put it on right there for about $30-40. :-$

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you can get past it being cut a little short (not noticable on the top or bottom but it covers just the screen portion side to side) the sgp ultra oleophobic is my favorite. I have tried the verizon anti-glare, XO skin, and now this one. It feels like glass, doesn't dull the screen, and it doesn't get finger prints like crazy.

+1
If your looking for a good quality screen protector try this one. Seem to last a few months before they need to be replaced and you can barely tell you have one on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: LabRat

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
+1
If your looking for a good quality screen protector try this one. Seem to last a few months before they need to be replaced and you can barely tell you have one on.

Is it easy to remove? That's actually my biggest concern--once it's on, I'd rather not have to take it off. On that note, does it get scratched or does the coating wear down?

And as far as the OP, I 100% agree. I'm carrying this thing around like my child until I find one I like.

ZipKicker

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site

+1 I've been using this company since the droid incredible

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Chalk another one up to SGP fandom. I've got a Razr right now (and a GNex on the way). I've used their products with my last few phones and love them. You can't tell that they're on, they're easy to clean, don't effect the screen clarity or touch functions. Plus, they're relatively cheap if you get them on Amazon with free shipping. I just purchased the Oleophobic ones for the GNex and I'm hoping I get them before the phone comes in. But at $13.99 with free shipping, I think that's a fair price to have some piece of mind. To save myself from the anger that a scratch on the screen would cause is well worth 14 bucks, in my opinion.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The SGP Ultra Oleophobic is looking better and better each day. It shouldn't have any problems with an Otterbox Commuter case, right? I don't mind the gap, particularly since the case is right there anyway.

If anyone has any pictures of the above setup, feel free to post!

Mthr1

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had amazing success with Ghost Armor. I have used them on my last 3 devices and both my kids' PSPs. They use urethane. Optically clear with no haze or orange peel, feels finger great, and are self healing (which works very well). Relatively easy to install and cut nearly perfectly. Lifetime guarantee. I have also heard good things about SGP products.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
look in my sig on the zagg and how I install it and how I revisit it a few weeks later.
It was for my DINC. I just got a replacement GN so I will do a video on how I put the shield on that one.
I have the one that came with the Diztronic case on my device right now.

If you want me to show that protector on, then with it off and then apply the zagg, I will do that this weekend....Video via flip video or still pics....your choice.

LegendsCrazy

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the Zagg InvisibleShield. The only thing I really don't like about it, is that it doesn't cover a large portion of area between the speaker and the camera. I wish it covered more of that area. Best Buy will put it on for you, for an extra $7.00.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Currently using the reearth dry app, its ok but nothing special. Waiting for sgp uktra crystal to come out, if it ever does, bc those are clear as day and feel like glass.

Also have the skinomi, wet app, in reserve but i didnt realize it was wet app when i bought it and wet app ones are almost always tacky which i find distasteful.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I purchased the Steinheil after reading about everybody raving about it online. I really like it, I feel its the best screen protector I have tried so far. The only problem with it is, it doesnt cover the whole screen. There are gaps all the way around the phone, more of a gap than I would like to see. They claim they did this due the screen having a curve in it. Im not really agreeing with them on that one, would like to see it cover the whole screen. All in all, its a good protector and I would recommend it.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the Steinheil after reading about everybody raving about it online. I really like it, I feel its the best screen protector I have tried so far. The only problem with it is, it doesnt cover the whole screen. There are gaps all the way around the phone, more of a gap than I would like to see. They claim they did this due the screen having a curve in it. Im not really agreeing with them on that one, would like to see it cover the whole screen. All in all, its a good protector and I would recommend it.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I've loved SGP products for awhile, but this one leaves me looking for a new protector. The screen looks great and feels great...but I HATE the area that isn't covered. Plus it covers the front facing camera, which is kind of pointless. I'm currently looking for a protector that actually covers the whole screen and has a hole for the camera. And I'm hoping SGP comes out with some updated ones that work a little better, because the film itself really is nice.

***I'm also not sure how the screen being slightly curved means they can't make a protector that covers the whole screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan