GNex silicone case

Absterged

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone! I'll be getting my GNex this coming weekend and I was wondering if anyone had researched pure silicone cases (keep in mind I'll be getting the extended battery, too). I know the Diztronic and Verizon ones fit well with the extended battery, but I'd like a case that covers the buttons as well. I am coming from a Captivate, and I found a black, silicone case that had raised buttons on it for the physical buttons.

Yes, I know they are dust magnets, but I like 'em. Also, I'd prefer matte, if possible. The VZW glossy case looks like a grease barrel.

Any suggestions? Sorry if it's been asked before, but I didn't see it.

I found these:
Amazon1

Amazon 2

But with next to no reviews, I'm reluctant to try them. Then again, they cost almost nothing.

Magnious

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The one Gel case I bought from the Verizon store works VERY well. It covers the volume rocker (raised so you can adjust volume easily), but leaves the power button open. I also have the extended battery, and this case works great with it!

eleeezy

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Just got my incipio ngp case (in matte black) and i am really liking it so far. All buttons covered and is def not a dust magnet. Check it out, though be forewarned...its a bit pricier than others

fabulas

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the silicone case from Verizon and it does work very well. I also have the extended battery. It does not get greasy or slippery IMHO.

kph3

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I originally bought the silicone case...it works well...very well made...and fits perfectly fine with the extended battery. The problem I had is that is added a bulk to the phone and consequently, the phone would not fit in my verizon horizontal leather case. I bought the Diztronic revision 2 case and I LOVE it. It does not get greasy and show fingerprints if you get the matte finish one. I got the matte black and it looks great on the GNex. It is so slim, the phone now fits into the leather case. It's all in your preference, but the Diztronic was best for me.

Absterged

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I ended up getting one that fit my specifications! I went with the Incipio NGP. How I missed that during my searches is beyond me... but alas, I have it now.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Its a good case...I bought mine at vzw with my 25% discount. I think amazon has them cheaper but I didnt want to wait.
I ended up getting one that fit my specifications! I went with the Incipio NGP. How I missed that during my searches is beyond me... but alas, I have it now.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Coleus

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Lots of people seem to use the terms silicone and TPU as if they are interchangeable. They are not.

A silicone polymer is one that has a backbone consisting of repeating units of Si-O-Si. OTOH, TPU is a polyurethane, which has a backbone or repeating ethyl carbamate (urethane) molecules.

Not to get too technical here, but the point is that silicone and polyurethane are not the same. I know a lot of the manufacturers use the terms interchangeably, but they are manufacturers from China, who the hell knows if they even understand what these terms mean in English or have any understanding of chemistry at all. And who knows if the stuff we are buying from them is even accurately labeled in the first place. God knows what they labeled the Chinese drywall as.

The point is, though, regardless, silicone and polyurethane are not the same materials.

Coleus

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Where did you get the Incipio NGP? Best price I can find is Amazon. Also, how easy is it to take off the phone?

I got mine directly from myincipio.com with a 15% off coupon and free shipping, no tax. Came to $17. They warrant them for life if you buy directly from the company. $3 more expensive than the Amazon price, but I wanted it in pink and I didn't see that on Amazon.

They are easy to take off if you start at a corner. If you try to take them off from the sides, it is hard and I worry about flexing the phone and cracking the screen.

The Incipio NGP fits BOTH the standard and extended batteries well so that is why I got mine.

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got mine directly from myincipio.com with a 15% off coupon and free shipping, no tax. Came to $17. They warrant them for life if you buy directly from the company. $3 more expensive than the Amazon price, but I wanted it in pink and I didn't see that on Amazon.

They are easy to take off if you start at a corner. If you try to take them off from the sides, it is hard and I worry about flexing the phone and cracking the screen.

The Incipio NGP fits BOTH the standard and extended batteries well so that is why I got mine.

I find the covered volume and power ports don't work as well and don't have quite as good tactile feedback, so I'm actually sending it back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Coleus

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I find the covered volume and power ports don't work as well and don't have quite as good tactile feedback, so I'm actually sending it back.
I agree, but I can't find any other single case out there that fits BOTH the standard and extended battery well other than the Verizon shell/holster.

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree, but I can't find any other single case out there that fits BOTH the standard and extended battery well other than the Verizon shell/holster.

Actually I have the Verizon case holster combo and I have to say the only way the Verizon case will fit with the extended battery is if the battery cover is kept off before the phone is put in the case. I am having difficulty finding anything with cutouts for the buttons that also fits the extended battery and the battery cover.

jpbass7

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
+1 for the Incipio NGP. It does make the buttons harder to press, but, IMO, that's a fair tradeoff for a good case. I had a silicone case to start with and didn't like the general 'floppiness' and dust-magnetism(!).

Coleus

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Actually I have the Verizon case holster combo and I have to say the only way the Verizon case will fit with the extended battery is if the battery cover is kept off before the phone is put in the case.
Hmm, there must be some variation in how they are made. I had one and returned it and it fit both the standard and extended batteries with their respective covers on. The VZW rep told me that the shell/holster was designed to fit both batteries, too.

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, there must be some variation in how they are made. I had one and returned it and it fit both the standard and extended batteries with their respective covers on. The VZW rep told me that the shell/holster was designed to fit both batteries, too.

Oh really? I'm not sure if there is a different holster and case from verizon but mine will only fit the standard battery and cover. Now you can MAKE it fit with the extended battery and cover on, but it does not fit as snug as the standard battery and the bottom of the phone sticks out beyond the edge of the case ever so slightly, but definitely noticeable enough

Coleus

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Now you can MAKE it fit with the extended battery and cover on, but it does not fit as snug as the standard battery and the bottom of the phone sticks out beyond the edge of the case ever so slightly, but definitely noticeable enough
That may have been the case with the one that I returned, I probably didn't look at it close enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt