02-10-2014 10:57 AM
623 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    My question however is, is there a GSM version of the extended door?
    Yep, I ordered mine here: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...2F320847372918

There is another seller as well, but they are both located in Korea where the extended battery is standard.
    02-18-2012 02:37 AM
    I completed this mod yesterday and although I'm not sure, my battery run time seems shorter.

Can anyone else comment on their battery life since making this mod?
    02-18-2012 02:45 AM
    I completed this mod yesterday and although I'm not sure, my battery run time seems shorter.

Can anyone else comment on their battery life since making this mod?
    That's not even in the realm of possible. Unless you did something very very wrong.
    02-18-2012 08:11 AM
    Also I wanted to add to the folks complaining about a delay after putting the phone on the touchstone and before it indicates charging. The phone beings to draw current immediately in my testing... it is simply the software that is slow to report it. It does begin charging right away.
    02-18-2012 08:18 AM
    Fair enough.

Maybe you can chime in then on my issue - which is that I am charging but am not seeing the same results as others here in regards to charging rate. With bluetooth streaming audio, 3G on in a good reception area, and screen off - I'm getting power drain even while on the charger. I've tested the voltage at the pogo pins while charging in the car and seems to be getting juice (I posted a pic of my results earlier in this thread). With phone idle - my setup will charge the phone to full. That is why I asked the question about testing current. Any thoughts or tips? I am running AOKP build 23 with included kernel.

I thought about this for a while. First, if you are streaming over 3G with bluetooth it's not terribly unlikely that you are taking out as much as you are putting in (~400mA) .. on 4G it's without a doubt. So a gradual decline might be expected.

I tested a few of those market apps that estimate current based on battery size and voltage readings but they are woefully inaccurate. They would allow you to distinguish 400mA from 1000mA but that's about it. And there is no way to read current directly from the OS (at-least not into user space from what I've heard).

The only ways I can think of to measure current conveniently for you is with a multimeter. I saw yours, it doesn't look capable of a direct current measurement. What you can do however, is add a resistor with a known, but small, value in series with the phone's coil side. This is referred to as a current sensing resistor. You read the voltage across the resistor and since you know its resistance value and now its voltage drop- you can solve for I in V=IR. How 'simple' that is though to set up for you .. I don't know.

I can offer you a 3rd option. This might be the best. I can run my phone's battery down tomorrow all the way to the point where the phone shuts down. Then I will turn it on, put it in airplane mode, and start to charge it with the screen off on the touchstone. This is important because the two biggest drains are things using the radios and the screen. I will turn the screen on every 1/2 hour just for a second to record the charge percentage. If you're willing to do the same we can verify how similar our charging rates are.

I don't have any better ideas at the moment.
    02-18-2012 08:39 AM
    I'm really not thrilled with the idea of the extended battery door, but will consider it. My question however is, is there a GSM version of the extended door? It looks like you can pick the VZW one up cheap on eBay but I don't want a VZW door.
    From what I've been told the GSM doors won't fit on the LTE Nexus.
    02-18-2012 09:29 AM
    That's not even in the realm of possible. Unless you did something very very wrong.
    Why not? Current from the battery could flow back through the coil when the phone is not on the Touchstone dock unless there was a diode somewhere in the circuitry to prevent this.

Are you certain some type of discharge prevention circuitry is present?
    02-18-2012 11:59 AM
    Why not? Current from the battery could flow back through the coil when the phone is not on the Touchstone dock unless there was a diode somewhere in the circuitry to prevent this.

I see your concern. However, I am certain that is not the case. You could verify this, by removing the coil from the circuit, by removing one connection to it, and then measuring the voltage between the 2 pogo pins. You should see 0V across them.
    02-18-2012 02:53 PM
    From what I've been told the GSM doors won't fit on the LTE Nexus.
    I have a GSM Nexus, which is why I didn't want a VZW door.
    02-18-2012 05:24 PM
    I got it working, took forever to get the phone open, though (then I forgot to put the lock button back on). Even on GummyNex it takes about 10 second for it to start. It still won't recognize NFC tags though.
    02-18-2012 06:49 PM
    I got it working, took forever to get the phone open, though (then I forgot to put the lock button back on). Even on GummyNex it takes about 10 second for it to start. It still won't recognize NFC tags though.
    We explained the reason it takes 10 seconds back a few posts -> 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 have this issue. 4.0.2 does not. So, if your stock, it shows charging right away. If you're on a custom ROM, it takes about 10 seconds. No biggie.

Also, on the NFC tag thing, did you try putting the tag up to the phone when it's not on the touchstone, or unplugging the touchstone? My tags work flawlessly if my phone isn't on the touchstone, or if the touchstone isn't plugged in.
    02-18-2012 09:44 PM

I'm sure palm was smart enough to design the control circuitry just below the coil to prevent this.
    02-18-2012 10:29 PM
    I'm sure palm was smart enough to design the control circuitry just below the coil to prevent this.
    I'm sure that Palm thought about this issue, but I wouldn't know if they designed circuitry into the phone or into the coil assembly.

After another day of use, the battery life does feel more like normal. There's probably nothing to worry about.
    02-18-2012 11:26 PM
    We explained the reason it takes 10 seconds back a few posts -> 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 have this issue. 4.0.2 does not. So, if your stock, it shows charging right away. If you're on a custom ROM, it takes about 10 seconds. No biggie.

Also, on the NFC tag thing, did you try putting the tag up to the phone when it's not on the touchstone, or unplugging the touchstone? My tags work flawlessly if my phone isn't on the touchstone, or if the touchstone isn't plugged in.
    My tags aren't even on the touchstone though :/
    02-19-2012 08:49 AM
    My tags aren't even on the touchstone though :/
    Perhaps you need to reposition your coil or be more precise about where you touch the phone to the tag? The NFC antenna is in the battery, so you need to touch the phone to the tag on the lower half of the back of the phone. If I touch the phone to the tag on the upper half, it never works, but the lower half works every time. Maybe your coil is mounted too low and interferes with the antenna in the battery?

What happens if you take the back cover off and put the tag right up to the battery?
    02-19-2012 09:56 AM
    Perhaps you need to reposition your coil or be more precise about where you touch the phone to the tag? The NFC antenna is in the battery, so you need to touch the phone to the tag on the lower half of the back of the phone. If I touch the phone to the tag on the upper half, it never works, but the lower half works every time. Maybe your coil is mounted too low and interferes with the antenna in the battery?

What happens if you take the back cover off and put the tag right up to the battery?
    I have the coil up as far as it can go, even when I just had the magnets in, it wouldn't work every time. It works when I take the back cover off, and I always touch the bottom of the phone.

Edit: Also it seems that some coils have the ~10 second delay, because I tested it with an LED, and it still took the time before it lit up.
    02-19-2012 11:31 AM
    Also, in my 2-year experience with a dash-mounted Touchstone, they are very sensitive to heat. They will not charge when the temp in the car is over 75 or 80. I'm not sure if this was a battery protection circuit within the Pre or within the Touchstone, or possibly within the little board attached to the coil, but the phone would bounce between charging/not-charging every other second, which obviously meant it couldn't keep up with anything.
    I finally got around to mounting one of my touchstones in my truck yesterday. Due to the advise above, I did not mount on the dash, but instead near the front vents, like ohiomoto in the OP. It worked flawlessly all day yesterday. However, when I got in the truck this morning to come to work, it would not charge until about 15 minutes into my trip. So, in addition to heat, the touchstone must also be sensitive to cold (it was about 50 F out). Just FYI...
    02-20-2012 12:11 PM
    I have never had an issue with cold weather here in Ohio. Mine has worked in single digit temps.
    02-20-2012 05:28 PM
    I have never had an issue with cold weather here in Ohio. Mine has worked in single digit temps.
    When I had one mounted in my car with my Pre it also worked in single digit temps. Waiting on my magnets and tape to mod my nexus this week. Thanks for the write up.
    02-21-2012 12:11 PM
    Took a long car trip this weekend with my touchstone/diztronic setup (see previous posts). Here is what I found out:

-Navigation and pandora running through bluetooth will still kill the battery if the screen is on. Had to make sure for long stretches to turn the screen off and only use it when needed.
    -Heat is the enemy, once the back of the phone case heated up, I saw charging/discharging alternating back and forth. It would only get this hot after 60-90 minutes, and at that point I would use the vents to blow cold air on the mounted phone (I strategically placed my mount so the bottom of the phone is over the vents). About 2 minutes of cooling is all that was needed.

All in all, over a 6 hour drive, I lost just under 10% battery, with extensive music and navigation use. My only gripe is not being able to use the screen all the time for Trapster

Not sure how this mod will fare during the summertime. Still extremely convenient.

Anyone running this mod with ICS 4.0.4 yet? Or any other 3rd party ROMs that promise better battery life?
    02-21-2012 02:21 PM
    Just a little more charging info.

My phone on the touchstone in 4G, screen off, charges around 0.5% per minute. That is plugged into the wall with the touchstone cable and power block.

Yesterday I was driving with the screen on (car mode, mostly black screen, 4G), but no navigation or music, and it charged at around 0.25% per minute. That is with a cig lighter adapter that does give AC charging when plugged directly into the phone.
    02-22-2012 11:58 AM
    I just tried something with interesting results.

I plugged an AC charger into the USB port and as usual the phone reported "Charging (AC)". Then, still plugged in I put the phone on a touchstone, still charging AC. Finally, I removed the AC charger from the USB port and the phone still reported AC charging with only the touchstone.

I reversed the order, starting on the touchstone (USB charging). It remained as USB charging in the same way it remained as AC charging in the previous experiment.

Could be a quirk in how the phone reports charging or it could be real. I don't have time at the moment to test the actual current flow.

Thought this might be of some interest.
    02-22-2012 01:05 PM
    I saw today that the desk dock for the Nexus is finally available... at $90! Just another reason this MOD is amazing. Thanks again Ohio!
    ohiomoto likes this.
    02-23-2012 06:39 PM
    Sounds like Duracell may have arrived at an amazing idea: Duracell Powermat WiCC could bring wireless charging to any smartphone, we go hands-on (video) -- Engadget I wonder where they got that amazing idea?!
    ohiomoto likes this.
    02-27-2012 12:19 AM
    Has anyone gotten this to work with the coil inside the back cover and the phone in the diztronic case? I have read a couple people who have similar configurations that say it work, but I cannot get it.

When I have the coil+palm circuitry in the back cover on the touchstone I get a stable 5.6V across the two pads. However, when I put that in the diztronic case, I get an oscillating voltage ranging from ~0.3V to about 4.2V. Did anyone do something special? OR am I an *****? I ordered another touchstone to test, but I doubt that is the problem.

Thanks,
    Nkk
    02-27-2012 04:34 PM
623 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD