[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD for Palm Touchstone without solderin

If you solder the wires, you just won't be to completely remove the battery door. You could use 28g or 26g wire if you want. Or cut up an old USB cable for wire, you know that works.

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a lot of soldering experience which makes it easy for me... now the only reason I would solder would be for reliability. Is there any advantage over the foil? And has anyone found any cheap foil

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

I don't think the tape has any advantage except that you can remove the battery door completely and you don't have to solder on the phone. But the wire might be a better conductor and it really isn't too hard to remove. Whatever floats you boat really, it's your phone!

nsurg found a more reasonable length of tape on eBay for less.

Looks great, thanks. I have some palm touchstone charging equipment for my wife's phone, and it such a cool feature that I've always been a bit jealous of. This will also be a good option for a car mount!
I appreciate the detailed links. For what it's worth, I found 1/4" by 9' copper tape shipped on ebay for under $5, and the magnets can be found for that price shipped as well on ebay. The amazon link is a bit pricey for the copper tape and the magnet shipping is a ripoff from the other site. It's hard to link ebay sales, obviously.

Thanks again, my parts are ordered, and I look forward to doing this.

Last edited:

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the tape has any advantage except that you can remove the battery and you don't have to solder on the phone. But the wire might be a better conductor and it really isn't too hard to remove. Whatever floats you boat really, it's your phone!

nsurg found a more reasonable length of tape on eBay for less.

Cool thanks! I looked for some tape..... but I'm not sure which one to order on eBay.... could you possibly throw me a link?

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Wow that's killer. If you post a cap of your battery usage in action you can compare the slope to regular charging out the reverse slope of not charging for the same action.

Fenris_Ulf

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

The phone will charge at USB rate, approximately 500ma, rather than the AC rate of 1+ amps. The coil and batteries shouldn't interfere with the NFC, but that hasn't been tested. They don't interfere with any other function of the phone. Stronger magnets are recommended, but the ones from the original Palm device will work as long as you don't knock the phone around too much. I recommend cutting up an old USB cable, the wires are about 26 gauge and just the right size. Foil is good if you want to play it safe; me, I like voiding the warantee.:D

Reactions: ohiomoto

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Your way is faster too. I was tempted, but I had it in my head that I was going to do it with the tape, so I did it that way. And THANK YOU for sorting out the pins!

As for voiding your warranty, I have a feeling you know how to clean that solder up so no one would ever know it was there. ;)

Last edited:

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Hey everyone. Thinking about it, I may change this guide a little. Not sure when I'll have time, but here are my ideas.

1) I mentioned that you could solder the tape to the pin contacts because the adhesive side is less conductive than the shiny side. You could simply fold the tape under itself so that the shiny side touches both contacts. I might make a difference if you plan on using an after-market dock that uses the pins.

2) When you get done with the back cover, don't assemble the phone just yet. Instead, finish tape on the battery door. You will be able to line the tape up easier from the "inside" of the back cover. Once everything is done, then put it back together. I think that might be easier. Hindsight is 20/20!

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
The phone will charge at USB rate, approximately 500ma, rather than the AC rate of 1+ amps. The coil and batteries shouldn't interfere with the NFC, but that hasn't been tested. They don't interfere with any other function of the phone. Stronger magnets are recommended, but the ones from the original Palm device will work as long as you don't knock the phone around too much. I recommend cutting up an old USB cable, the wires are about 26 gauge and just the right size. Foil is good if you want to play it safe; me, I like voiding the warantee.:D

Damn really? I wish it would AC charge.... how the hell was the USB charge keeping up with navigation in the car?!?!

dano272

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site

Are you saying it doesn't matter which car charger you use - this touchstone method will only give you a usb charge? The car charger Im using now registers as an AC charge. I was planning on using that to power the touchstone dock.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty sure that the Touchstone charges faster than a USB port. No sure the best way to test other than try both over a specific time period. I'll see if I can do that today while I'm at work. I'll poke around for some battery meter apps as well.

NNate

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

If anyone has a chance, please let us know about the NFC/compass impacts.

Thanks OP for the excellent guide!

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

You need copper tape with adhesive on the back. I didn't buy mine on eBay so you will have to do a search and read the descriptions.

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

Brilliant! Strongly considering this. Way cheaper than the Galaxy Nexus docks, which aren't even available yet!

Interested to know about charging rates before deciding. If it can charge in the car while running Pandora (even without nav and only on 3G) I will probably do it.

When doing the phone teardown, I'm sure this would technically void the warranty, but is there any adhesive (or tabs?) broken that would alert Verizon that the phone was tampered with? If not I don't think they would know as long as you don't break anything. Also, what would you say is the risk of breaking something when doing that? Low? Medium?

nsurg

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

Here is an ebay search for copper tape from US vendors... I think it is not helpful to list a given sale as it will expire.

In hindsight, I may not have ordered tape with adhesive on the back? It may also be wise to look for the word "conductive." Look in the descriptions to clarify this before buying, but it's pretty cheap stuff, and some of it for sure has adhesive on the back. I guess I'll just reorder if I bought the wrong tape.

EDIT: tried to make the link only search for adhesive, conductive tape

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=1

Last edited:

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Brilliant! Strongly considering this. Way cheaper than the Galaxy Nexus docks, which aren't even available yet!

Interested to know about charging rates before deciding. If it can charge in the car while running Pandora (even without nav and only on 3G) I will probably do it.

When doing the phone teardown, I'm sure this would technically void the warranty, but is there any adhesive (or tabs?) broken that would alert Verizon that the phone was tampered with? If not I don't think they would know as long as you don't break anything. Also, what would you say is the risk of breaking something when doing that? Low? Medium?
It will definitely gain charge while Playing Pandora through Bluetooth with 4G in the car if you are using the correct adapter. Should get around 15-20% gain per hour. No one would be able to tell you took the phone apart if you don;t break anything. The real worry for me would be the screen. The only thing you are removing is the back bezel, everything else stays with the screen.

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I found a couple but one said silver back and black back. Is there any difference? It says it was like solder art.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01