[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

Step666

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phon

How warm does the coil (the one that goes in the handset, not the one in the dock) get whilst charging?
Doe anyone know?

The reason I ask is when I removed the coil from the Pre battery cover, the adhesive tape that came with it wouldn't keep it stuck to the Nexus' battery cover.

So I'm going to glue it into place instead and, because I'm paranoid like that, use some of this insulation spray to ensure that I don't inadvertently short anything out.
And I just wanted to make sure that the first time I use it to charge, I don't end up gassing myself with noxious glue/insulation fumes...

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
How warm does the coil (the one that goes in the handset, not the one in the dock) get whilst charging?
Doe anyone know?

The reason I ask is when I removed the coil from the Pre battery cover, the adhesive tape that came with it wouldn't keep it stuck to the Nexus' battery cover.

So I'm going to glue it into place instead and, because I'm paranoid like that, use some of this insulation spray to ensure that I don't inadvertently short anything out.
And I just wanted to make sure that the first time I use it to charge, I don't end up gassing myself with noxious glue/insulation fumes...
I honestly haven't felt any at all. Not from the coil. And I'm going on a few months now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Step666

drparty

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

Well, I've spent several hours on this project so far and I just don't know whats wrong. I get a solid 5.6 reading when I test to pogo pins over the touchstone but the phone just doesn't register a charge at all, no matter what I do. I'm running Franco kernel Milestone 1, I tried the force AC script, even tried Chad's incredicontrol app (not sure if that works with a Franco kernel but I figured why not try).

It should be charging if I get a reading of 5.6 from the pogo pins, right? I've tested and rewired this twice now, I can't find a single place its shorting out and the readings seem good. Anyone run into this? Am I doing something stupid software wise or is this a pure circuit issue?

Thanks

eternalliphe7

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone have the original pictures from Ohiomotto's post I cant seem to view them :'(

Step666

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Well, I've spent several hours on this project so far and I just don't know whats wrong. I get a solid 5.6 reading when I test to pogo pins over the touchstone but the phone just doesn't register a charge at all, no matter what I do. I'm running Franco kernel Milestone 1, I tried the force AC script, even tried Chad's incredicontrol app (not sure if that works with a Franco kernel but I figured why not try).

It should be charging if I get a reading of 5.6 from the pogo pins, right? I've tested and rewired this twice now, I can't find a single place its shorting out and the readings seem good. Anyone run into this? Am I doing something stupid software wise or is this a pure circuit issue?

Thanks
The conductive tape only conducts on one side.
So if you've connected the coil to the pogo pins, it's possible that you haven't got a connection to the handset itself.

Just thinking out loud.

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

The conductive tape only conducts on one side.
So if you've connected the coil to the pogo pins, it's possible that you haven't got a connection to the handset itself.

Just thinking out loud.

But I would assume the pogo pins themselves are connected to the charging circuitry in the phone (otherwise the Samsung docks wouldn't work). So unless he broke that connection, if the pogo pins read 5V then the phone should be getting power.

comprocket

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

you could easily break that connection with your copper tape on the Pogo Pin connector.

Take it all apart, and follow the OP directions exactly, and you should be fine. It has worked for 99% of the others here. I have a feeling that you did something funny with the copper tape on your pogo pin connector. Maybe upside down or a bad connection?

Step666

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

But I would assume the pogo pins themselves are connected to the charging circuitry in the phone (otherwise the Samsung docks wouldn't work). So unless he broke that connection, if the pogo pins read 5V then the phone should be getting power.
If you look at the OP, the copper tape is attached so that the adhesive side is connected to the pogo pins, which means the copper side is connected to the contacts on the circuit-board.
So the power from the coil is supplied to the circuit-board but because the adhesive side is connected to the pogo pins, there should be no power connected to that.

If mr_schticker has connected the tape up in such a way that there is power supplied to the pogo pins, I suspect he has the tape backwards/upside-down in some way, meaning the adhesive side is attached to the contacts on the circuit-board and as such there's no power supplied to the handset.
Which would explain why it's not charging and also why he can measure a voltage across the pogo pins.

As I say though, it was just a suggestion.

On a separate note, I have all the parts I need for this mod, except the magnets, which I ordered weeks ago but haven't turned up yet.
So I'm going to get a refund and order from somewhere else.

Anyone got any opinion on which of these I should go for?
0.5mm thick, 0.1kg pull or 1mm thick, 0.2kg pull?

Theoretically, the thinner, weaker set should be fine - if each magnet can pull 0.1kg, between the 4 of them that's 0.4kg which is well more than double what the handset weighs.
That said, given the dimensions I can't help wondering if they're pretty much just the same as the magnets from the Pre battery cover, in which case should I go for the more powerful ones? But part of me worries that the stronger magnets may be more likely to interfere with the NFC.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Go for the thinner set but use 8 of them instead of 4. We found that you can use 8 magnets to get better hold. It updated the guide a few days ago.

Step666

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

I saw that but I can't get it to work.

I'm doing the mod with the extended battery/cover, so while I've been waiting for magnets I ordered to arrive, I've been playing around with the stock battery cover and the magnets from the Pre battery cover.
Literally, just the battery cover being held on to the Touchstone dock with the 4 magnets, allowing me to shift them around, get an idea where to situate them etc.

I cannot get two of the Pre magnets to sit next to each other and both to 'stick' - one always seems to be held on place much more than the other.
So I don't think the magnets are small enough that putting them next to one another helps.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

That's because the Pre discs are not magnets and don't have any polarity. They sit right in the middle of the two magnets used in the Touchstone. When you get your magnets you will see that they will not sit in the Pre cover like the stock discs. They will either be closer or further from center depending on which side you face down.

Last edited:

Step666

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

They're not?
How strange.

I assumed the '+' they all had on one side was to indicate polarity.

I'll go for the thinner ones then.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Me too. but after playing around with them I realize that they aren't.

ScooberJake

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

If you look at the OP, the copper tape is attached so that the adhesive side is connected to the pogo pins, which means the copper side is connected to the contacts on the circuit-board.
So the power from the coil is supplied to the circuit-board but because the adhesive side is connected to the pogo pins, there should be no power connected to that.

I'll bet you are correct. I forgot that the pogo pins were not hard connected to the phone board. But of course they are not, they are embedded in the outer shell. Probably has the wrong side of the tape down. When I followed the instructions I didn't fully appreciate what was happening there. This is why Ohio said that it might make docks which use the pogo pins not work without some solder.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

That's also why I updated the OP to show a method where I folded the tape so that the shiny side contacts both sides "just in case". :)

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Thanks
Any luck with this?

drparty

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

Any luck with this?

Not yet, I've been really slammed with school lately though I'll post once I get it figured out. I pulled it apart and checked to see the connection was good to the phone rather than the outer case (pins). Basically I made sure the shiny side was to the phone but still no connection.

I'm going to redo the project this weekend though when I get a bit of spare time. I'm sure as some have said I'm just missing something obvious, too many people have made this work for me to have an exception.

Thanks for the suggestions though I'm keeping them in mind when I go back to tooling around with it. I just can't wait to get this to work and give my poor microUSB port a break!

mikemck

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

Got zero volts! :(

After I mounted the coil on the back I had 5.6 volts.

After I soldered the tape to it I now have zero.

Do you think heat damaged the little circuit board?

Thanks.