[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

ellesshoo

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
This mod looks very simple!! I just have a question about voiding the warranty. Does this void the warranty because you need to open your phone? I ask this because I see no stickers around the housing for them to know that the housing was opened.
As long as you don't solder the strips to the pogo pins I see no reason why this mod couldn't be undone for warranty replacement.
Am I missing something?

I wish I could answer this for you but in all honesty it just doesn't matter bc there is really no indicator to trip by opening the phone. If you have a small diameter soldering tip I'd even recommend to go ahead and solder in the phone (a desolder wick with a little flux will clean it up like nothing ever happened if you need to reverse the mod).

kuchar09

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phon

I wish I could answer this for you but in all honesty it just doesn't matter bc there is really no indicator to trip by opening the phone. If you have a small diameter soldering tip I'd even recommend to go ahead and solder in the phone (a desolder wick with a little flux will clean it up like nothing ever happened if you need to reverse the mod).

Ok thanks I was just curious... I order all the stuff so I should be able to do this by the end of week.

freeskier44

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Could some try this? What happens if I were to have the nexus connected to MHL and on the touchstone? Would it be safe? Would it charge faster?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ellesshoo

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Could some try this? What happens if I were to have the nexus connected to MHL and on the touchstone? Would it be safe? Would it charge faster?

I haven't tried MHL + touchstone but I have tried touchstone + power to USB port. It won't charge from both sources simultaneously, it will charge only from the first source that is connected. If you can force AC charging on the touchstone then putting your phone on it before attaching MHL should charge faster. Again, I haven't tried this specific scenario but I wouldn't worry that you will harm your phone

eandcent

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site

For my Car TouchStone -I have purchased the Palm Car Charger 3453ww which is 1000ma rated from Amazon for $12. This already has D+ and D- shorted internally. Here @ Amazon Plus its OEM so quality of the power delivered will most likely be much cleaner.

I hope this is useful to folks who can't get it working in their car especially with the FFC (AC MODE) mod going. If you're seeing an on/off dance with the touchstone you are using an inadequate car/wall charger.

Thanks for the info. I picked up the Palm Car Charger and that solved my problem with the Touchstone charging not working in the car.

gobigred303

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

So I tried this mod a second time, no dice. I ordered a new Palm Pre back and put it directly on the dock and couldn't get anything to show up on my multimeter. So I thought there might be something wrong with my multimeter (even though it is brand new and reads 1.5v and 9v batteries fine) and proceeded with the mod. I got nothing when I finally put my GN on the dock.

Any advice? Contemplating giving up. Is anyone interested in buying 3 charging docks, 2 wall chargers, 8 magnets and a car charger?

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

You should have seen 5.6 volts with the stock Palm battery cover. You have a problem with the dock or the wall charger that powers it and you have plenty of both. You can't get any of them to give you juice? Are you sure that outlet has power? Maybe a GFI needs reset?

I would take the Battery cover off of the GN and place it on the dock and test different wall chargers, cords, docks and outlets until you get something. If you get nothing then I would say you have a bad coil in from the Palm battery cover.

gobigred303

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the quick reply. It seems I may have another bad coil. I tried multiple combinations of cables, outlets docks and USB charging adapters. Very frustrating.

I could be doing something very wrong. This was my 2nd coil, thought it was the coil the first time. I have 2 battery covers. If I send all my parts, is anyone willing to try this for me if I pay shipping?

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

It seems crazy that you have all of those parts and none of them work, but there isn't much you can do wrong with the back cover and it appears that you haven't had any luck with that part. There is no way of knowing if the rest of the mod works until you know you are getting current through the coil.

I guess the thing to do is test the docks and chargers with a phone that you know works. Do you ow anyone with a Palm phone?

I could probably help, but I will be going out of town on the 15th so you would have to send the stuff out out soon. Send me a PM if you want.

Knolly

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

I'm dittoing the recommendation to try a different wall charger. I thought I had broken two different coils and it turned out I just wasn't using a good enough charger.

lu270bro

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

ok so i have been trying to get this mod to go for me and keep running in to a problem. when I set the battery cover only onto the TS i get 5.6mv, and i can hear a high-pitched buzz when i stick my ear near the coil. when I stick the battery door onto the phone and place on the TS, the phone does not charge, and I hear the high pitched buzz, but it sounds like it is cycling. So, I took the battery cover back off and sacrificed a usb cable and soldered directly from the coil leads on the cover straight to the leads inside the phone where pogo pins would make contact, like this.... Galaxy Nexus inductive charging mod - [H]ard|Forum (2nd pic down). I still get the cycling buzz like its trying to start charging but cont or wont. Not sure what is going on. I have used 2 separate TS wall chargers, and the wall charger that comes with my HP Touchpad, which has a greater output. Any ideas what might be the problem? any help would be appreciated.

Knolly

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

Is the buzz going on and off or is it constant? From my struggles before getting this to work, a buzz going on and off means that the charger isn't getting enough power to charge.

timinator94

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

ok so i have been trying to get this mod to go for me and keep running in to a problem. when I set the battery cover only onto the TS i get 5.6mv, and i can hear a high-pitched buzz when i stick my ear near the coil. when I stick the battery door onto the phone and place on the TS, the phone does not charge, and I hear the high pitched buzz, but it sounds like it is cycling. So, I took the battery cover back off and sacrificed a usb cable and soldered directly from the coil leads on the cover straight to the leads inside the phone where pogo pins would make contact, like this.... Galaxy Nexus inductive charging mod - [H]ard|Forum (2nd pic down). I still get the cycling buzz like its trying to start charging but cont or wont. Not sure what is going on. I have used 2 separate TS wall chargers, and the wall charger that comes with my HP Touchpad, which has a greater output. Any ideas what might be the problem? any help would be appreciated.

I have the exact same problem. I put my multimeter (of the el cheapo variety) on the connectors and I get a pulse that spikes up to 2 volts. I have tried 2 different coils and touchstone docks. When I put the coil in my battery door I get nothing.

lu270bro

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Is the buzz going on and off or is it constant? From my struggles before getting this to work, a buzz going on and off means that the charger isn't getting enough power to charge.

Constant when it's the door only, and cycles when the door is put on the phone

todini

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

I took a bunch of unrelated personal stuff out but this should still work. Contains 2 profiles with unnamed tasks and a named task.

Thank you so much!! I was trying to do the same thing, but i'm really unfamiliar with Tasker; Your file worked perfectly!!:D

Last edited:

Knolly

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

Wanted to mention to everyone, I tried out spraying my rear cover with Plastidip and it's awesome.

For those that don't know, Plastidip basically sprays rubber. So I put a few coats on the back of battery cover and it grips to the Touchstone incredibly solidly and it gives it a nice matte black finish.

Best part of Plastidip: Don't like it or scratch it somehow? Just peel it off. The coating bonds ONLY to itself and nothing else, so you can just peel it off the cover and it'll look good as new.

Reactions: ohiomoto

timinator94

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. I put my multimeter (of the el cheapo variety) on the connectors and I get a pulse that spikes up to 2 volts. I have tried 2 different coils and touchstone docks. When I put the coil in my battery door I get nothing.

Still having this issue :/

eandcent

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site

Wanted to mention to everyone, I tried out spraying my rear cover with Plastidip and it's awesome.

For those that don't know, Plastidip basically sprays rubber. So I put a few coats on the back of battery cover and it grips to the Touchstone incredibly solidly and it gives it a nice matte black finish.

Best part of Plastidip: Don't like it or scratch it somehow? Just peel it off. The coating bonds ONLY to itself and nothing else, so you can just peel it off the cover and it'll look good as new.

If you don't mind, could you post a picture of what it looks like with the Plastidip? Thanks in advance!

eandcent

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site

Still having this issue :/

I'm not quite sure what is going on but if I'd suggest taking things at a real step-by-step snail pace to see where along the line something is messing up, starting with known situations. To ensure that your coil/dock is not broke, start with them fresh out of the packaging. Put the unassembled Palm door onto a touchstone dock and use the multimeter to check the readings. You should get a steady 5V reading. If you do, then you are sure that the plug is providing the appropriate current to the dock, the dock is functional, and that the coil is functional. I'm not sure how familiar you are with electronics but this should give you a nice baseline of expectations.

Once you do that, carefully take out the coil and then put it onto your GNex battery door. Again, remember to also bring with it the black coil cover that originally covered the coil on the Palm Pre battery door as the coil won't work properly without the black coil cover. Once on the GNex battery door, put it onto the Palm Touchstone. The only thing you have done is switch covers so you should read 5V again. Try that out and then proceed from there.

Maybe that will help? Nonetheless, if you find the issue, please do share with the rest of us as it seems that more than one person is having the same issue. Good luck!

Knolly

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

If you don't mind, could you post a picture of what it looks like with the Plastidip? Thanks in advance!

Sure thing, here's a quick shot I took:
dropbox.com/sh/g4r7j6e1aaveoy1/7fo3hKcSf9/2012-04-10%2013.07.30.jpg

I scuffed it up a rubbing it into the touchstone simply to see how durable it is, but it's holding up great.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay