[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

eandcent

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phon

Sure thing, here's a quick shot I took:
dropbox.com/sh/g4r7j6e1aaveoy1/7fo3hKcSf9/2012-04-10%2013.07.30.jpg

I scuffed it up a rubbing it into the touchstone simply to see how durable it is, but it's holding up great.

Thanks, that looks good. Is that the extended battery cover or the regular one? On my extended cover, the "SAMSUNG" doesn't look raised but in the picture, the Plastidip preserved the outline of the word.

Knolly

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, that looks good. Is that the extended battery cover or the regular one? On my extended cover, the "SAMSUNG" doesn't look raised but in the picture, the Plastidip preserved the outline of the word.

It's the extended battery cover. The SAMSUNG is raised enough on the cover that it becomes more pronounced when you spray it with Plastidip. I'm thinking of sanding the whole battery cover to be smooth then respraying it to have a nice smooth and grippy finish. It looks and works great with the black TPU bumper as well.

eandcent

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site

It's the extended battery cover. The SAMSUNG is raised enough on the cover that it becomes more pronounced when you spray it with Plastidip. I'm thinking of sanding the whole battery cover to be smooth then respraying it to have a nice smooth and grippy finish. It looks and works great with the black TPU bumper as well.

Nice. How well does the Plastidip help keep the phone on the charger in the car? For me, I noticed the issue is largely the weight of the phone (and probably how relatively weak my magnets are) so the phone can slide off in an abnormal acceleration/deceleration. If you do end up sanding/respraying, do let us know how that goes. I'm curious to see how it works out.

Knolly

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

Nice. How well does the Plastidip help keep the phone on the charger in the car? For me, I noticed the issue is largely the weight of the phone (and probably how relatively weak my magnets are) so the phone can slide off in an abnormal acceleration/deceleration. If you do end up sanding/respraying, do let us know how that goes. I'm curious to see how it works out.

The Plastidip is rubbery and grippy so it creates a LOT of extra friction to keep it on the dock.

What I've actually started over the last day or so doing because I have two battery covers is I wrapped one in 3M Di-Noc to look like carbon fiber, and I have that on most of the time, then I keep the Plastidip cover in my car in case of long trips or something I can swap them to ensure it stays secure on the Touchstone.

Like I said, I only just started doing this, although honestly, I somewhat expect I'll just start using the Plastidip cover all of the time. I just figured since I had some Di-Noc lying around and an extra cover I'd try it out, haha.

strongergravity

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I did this mod the other day, putting the coil inside a case. I tried several methods to use the pogo pins to get the juice inside, including solder on sticky side of tape. It just didn't make a solid enough connection. I finally decided to pop the back off the phone and go that route. I extended the tape to the outside of the phone, up to the pogo pins. This way I can use a coil inside the door or inside the case. I can use whatever battery size I choose now.

This mod is great! I have a TS in my car as my dock, plus one at home and one at work.

Many thanks to Ohiomoto.

kuchar09

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

I have an issue with the voltage dropping to 0 every 10 seconds but only when I have fast USB charge enabled (AC with usb) in Franco's kernel app.

First off I know my electrical stuff and have been going step by step with a meter and the results are interesting.
This all started when I received my stronger magnets (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices) I was previously using the weak/ not real original magnets.

(in case the url doesn't work these are my magnets)
Neodymium (NdFeB)
Grade - 42
Diameter - 3/16
Thickness - 1/32
Pulling Force - 58 lbs per Foot

The way I did the foil tape inside the phone I can still use the pogo pins FYI.
I set up the new magnets and everything on the cover and tapped it up and got a constant 5.6 volts (for more than 10 seconds!!) give or take.
Now this is where it gets interesting if I put the cover on the phone and put it on the charger nothing happens so I took the meter to the pogo pins and would get 5.6 volts for 10 seconds then it would drop to 0 quickly then go back to 5.6 volts for another 10 seconds and drop over and over.
I dont understand why this happening since the pins are basically attached right to the cover with the way I did the foil inside the phone.
Once I turn off USB fast charge in Franco's kernel app it charges no problem but of course at usb speeds.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm guessing this is a rom or kernel issue so I'm going to switch and see what happens, any ideas would be appreciated!!

This wouldn't have anything to do with my magnets would it?

Asdad123

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

Just wondering, is there anyone in the north jersey area that would be able to help me out with this? I'm not too handy with this type of stuff, but would love to get this working in my car.

I'll be willing to pay whoever does this for me :) thanks

Last edited:

Goethe

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

I ordered the parts from ebay, can't wait for it to arrive so I can try on my Atrix, however since I live in brazil, it'll probally take like a month.

jvm1982

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

So here's my problem and I hope I can get some help...

I did the mod and it worked flawlessly for the first two days both bedside and in the car... Now I cannot get anything. I place my phone on the touchstones and all I get is the magnetism. No charge. Anyone have any ideas? I've checked the alignment of the connections and they all line up... Sorry just frustrated. Thanks in advance.

morrison0880

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

This is an absolutely amazing mod! I can't tell you how much I've missed the touchstone since moving over from my FrankenPre2. Having it as a car dock was perfect. Unobtrusive and edly convenient. My issue has been that I have an Epic Touch, and the only mod allowing for the touchstone involves some soldering, which I'm not willing at this point to get into. Really, with all the ICS roms coming out, it would be my perfect device if I were able to have touchstone functionality. Does anyone know if this mod would be possible with the Epic? I have got to think it's possible, since they are extremely similar phones.

todini

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

So here's my problem and I hope I can get some help...

I did the mod and it worked flawlessly for the first two days both bedside and in the car... Now I cannot get anything. I place my phone on the touchstones and all I get is the magnetism. No charge. Anyone have any ideas? I've checked the alignment of the connections and they all line up... Sorry just frustrated. Thanks in advance.

This happened to me a day or two ago. I rebooted, and was back in business.

EDIT: This morning, I was having the same issue; and reboot did nothing. I checked connections and they seemed fine; but I added more solder to the back cover - and that didnt fix it. I then re-fluffed the foam cushions under the tape, and that finally fixed it!

Last edited:

dp917

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Would it be more beneficial to try this with a qi inductive charger like legacystar since it's the future compared to touchstone (besides price difference and convenience of the dock of touchstones)? Is qi stronger, more able to charge through a case?

crimsonblake

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I have an issue with the voltage dropping to 0 every 10 seconds but only when I have fast USB charge enabled (AC with usb) in Franco's kernel app.

The way I did the foil tape inside the phone I can still use the pogo pins FYI.
I set up the new magnets and everything on the cover and tapped it up and got a constant 5.6 volts (for more than 10 seconds!!) give or take.
Now this is where it gets interesting if I put the cover on the phone and put it on the charger nothing happens so I took the meter to the pogo pins and would get 5.6 volts for 10 seconds then it would drop to 0 quickly then go back to 5.6 volts for another 10 seconds and drop over and over.
I dont understand why this happening since the pins are basically attached right to the cover with the way I did the foil inside the phone.
Once I turn off USB fast charge in Franco's kernel app it charges no problem but of course at usb speeds.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm guessing this is a rom or kernel issue so I'm going to switch and see what happens, any ideas would be appreciated!!

This wouldn't have anything to do with my magnets would it?

I had the exact same problem and it has nothing to do with you mod or kernal, believe it or not it's your charger. These palms are very finicky and only with with a few chargers, order some cheap palm branded 1a chargers. I've found not all 1a chargers work, for example Motorola chargers and apple chargers haven't worked for me. My Motorola one worked fine without fast charge but would not with fat charge on.

anon(35621)

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Just did this to my phone a few days ago and its been working great! I used 8 magnets and it holds just fine in my car. I am also using a Verizon wireless car charger and although tight, the micro-usb charger fits the touchstone and provides reliable charging.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

gobigred303

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

Ugggggh. Everyone seems to be able to get this mod to work so easily. I have tried the process twice, with 2 different coils, and I still get nothing.

Anyone in Denver who might be able to help? It would be much appreciated.

anon(35621)

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I found that if I could get 5.6V when just the back cover with inductive coil is on the touchstone and it wouldn't charge my phone, then it was the cable/wall plug that was the problem. Also another area that I can see causing problems is the contact between the battery door and the copper tape on the phone. I actually rolled up a piece of double died tape and that provided enough force to keep the pieces of copper tape in contact.

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ohiomoto

gobigred303

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site

I've tried multiple combinations of docks and cables and wall outlets to try to get 5.6v and I have always come up with nothing. Idk if I maybe I received 2 bad docks, 2 bad cables, 2 bad coils? It has been very frustrating. I might have to start from scratch, for the 3rd time, and buy all new parts.

stinkyfischer

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I've tried multiple combinations of docks and cables and wall outlets to try to get 5.6v and I have always come up with nothing. Idk if I maybe I received 2 bad docks, 2 bad cables, 2 bad coils? It has been very frustrating. I might have to start from scratch, for the 3rd time, and buy all new parts.

i just did this to my sprint gnex.
I have been using the touchstones for my pre phones for over 2 years. I would stick with Palm OEM AC chargers and cables. I have had nothing but trouble getting anything else to work with my touchstones. I have had some cables stop working but the touchstones and the AC adapters have been very reliable

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

Sorry I couldn't help out the past couple of weeks, I was out of town without internet access.

Anyway, most issues I've had in the past were almost always related to the connection between the battery door and phone. The last time I did the mod, I used a bit of foam under the copper tape on both the phone and the door. I found that if you offset the foam with just a bit of overlap, you'll end up with a reliable connection and the door still fits perfectly.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira