[GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phone!!

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Galaxy Nexus MOD/Palm Touchstone-No soldering on phon

This may have been asked already, and if so I apologize for asking again, but is it possible to use the coil from the palm back with a different type of wireless charger, like one of the charging mats? These all work in a similar way, don't they? I've always liked the mats, but they don't make them for many phones.

ellesshoo

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
This may have been asked already, and if so I apologize for asking again, but is it possible to use the coil from the palm back with a different type of wireless charger, like one of the charging mats? These all work in a similar way, don't they? I've always liked the mats, but they don't make them for many phones.

There are a handful of inductive charging protocols and I don't believe they are cross compatible. I'm almost 100% certain there are none that are compatible with Palm's touchstone system. For a higher degree of compatibility you may try a Qi coil & charger. It's one of the standards competing to be THE standard for inductive charging, however small that race may be, so you may be more likely to find a variety of compatible chargers in that ecosystem.

xDarKnighTx

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site

besides HP's USB cable, what other USB cables fit the touchstone? I got 2 more touchstone pucks, but all of my micro USB cables don't fit, except the one that came with my HP Touchpad.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

That's actually what I was thinking of, if the Palm coil would work with a Qi charging mat. I know I could gt a Qi cover and probably rip the coil out of it as well, but Palm's design seems easier to take apart.

ellesshoo

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
That's actually what I was thinking of, if the Palm coil would work with a Qi charging mat. I know I could gt a Qi cover and probably rip the coil out of it as well, but Palm's design seems easier to take apart.
yes it's easy to remove Palm coils with your bare hands but I doubt it's much additional effort to remove any other coil.

You could probably assemble one without too much trouble using components like a Vishay coil (part# IWAS4832FFEB9R7J50) and a Texas Instruments IC that's Qi 1.0 compatible (part# BFQ500210).

EDIT: links for parts
TI inductive charging IC (even looks like they carry an IC/coil pre-assembled combo)
http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntk=P_MarCom&Ntt=180860444

and the induction coil
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay/IWAS4832FFEB9R7J50/?qs=LFVzBv9lGv5YHcNcQjy7Gw==

May 8, 2012
Visit site

The sound is normal of a inductive transformer. It is clicking on and off meaning either the magnets aren't situated correctly and the magnetic field isn't strong enough or the input source isn't strong enough as in non OEM HP charger base

There is a solution to what you are talking about on webOS nation website. What you need to do is try using a business card and putting it on the touchstone, then place your Galaxy on it and see if the on off problem stops. You need to do a search on webosnation and you will find out what to do next. If you are getting voltage intermittant, then you did not mess up the coils, its just that with all of the Touchstones made, some of them have a slight flaw that make the coil too close in the inductive part in the touchstone, hence needing more separation (thickness of a business card) to prevent on off problems.

May 8, 2012
Visit site

besides HP's USB cable, what other USB cables fit the touchstone? I got 2 more touchstone pucks, but all of my micro USB cables don't fit, except the one that came with my HP Touchpad.

I'm a Palm Pre user who just switched over to the Nexus after 3 years on WebOS. Just get an exacto knife and trim around it and then it will fit into the touchstone. No need for the official palm cable. I did this with 3 of the 6 touchstones I have accumulated over the past 3 years.

Headcase_Fargone

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site

If I put a continuity tool on the two outside pogo pins (ignoring the middle one) I only get a very short beep indicating continuity. I get a very brief beep when contacting the foil strips that wrap around near the battery (the contacts for the phone portion that come into contact with the back door).

I cannot for the life of me get a charge. I can hear the inductive coil working, I get continuity between the two foil strips on the back plate, etc. The door does bulge an awful lot right where they're making contact, but it certainly looks like they are making contact. I just can't tell...

Last edited:

eventnick

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site

I'm definitely using an OEM HP charger, and I'm using 8 magnets.

However, I removed the silver T-shaped sticker from the coil. Is this piece needed? I saw the picture in the OP and i didn't see the silver sticker there, so I thought it's safe to remove.

It is not a "silver sticker" it is a metal sticker. It is required. Do not remove it. It is a shield to prevent the magnetic field from energizing anything other than the inductive coils. You can potentially damage things in your phone if you remove that shield. USE IT.

eventnick

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site

I'm a Palm Pre user who just switched over to the Nexus after 3 years on WebOS. Just get an exacto knife and trim around it and then it will fit into the touchstone. No need for the official palm cable. I did this with 3 of the 6 touchstones I have accumulated over the past 3 years.

It's not that simple. The cable/charger combo must have the correct pinouts otherwise it will not charge. Other cables/chargers will work fine as long as they have the proper pins shorted (D+ and D-) and can provide adequate amperage.

txyaloo

May 29, 2011
Visit site

I did this mod in about 10 minutes this afternoon. I didn't use any solder and used an upside down Pixi coil instead. The phone is charging in A/C mode w/o fast charge enabled and everything seems to be working fine other than a slight bulge on the left side of the phone where the foam pads are. I think I may trim them down a bit.

Really easy and handy mod for under $20. Now I need some metal friendly NFC stickers to throw on the touchstones.

todini

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site

txyaloo -

I wanted NFC tags too, but had a hard time getting them to work the way I wanted. Then I heard about the app Tasker, which does even more than I hoped the tags could do.

strongergravity

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

I did this mod in about 10 minutes this afternoon. I didn't use any solder and used an upside down Pixi coil instead. The phone is charging in A/C mode w/o fast charge enabled and everything seems to be working fine other than a slight bulge on the left side of the phone where the foam pads are. I think I may trim them down a bit.

Really easy and handy mod for under $20. Now I need some metal friendly NFC stickers to throw on the touchstones.

The coil will interfere with the NFC when it is charging - electronic interference. I put an NFC tag on the underside of my dash - I just wave my phone in front of it before I mount it. I just got some NFC keychains from buynfctags.com. They were pretty cheap. I will use them in the future in the car.

txyaloo

May 29, 2011
Visit site

The coil will interfere with the NFC when it is charging - electronic interference. I put an NFC tag on the underside of my dash - I just wave my phone in front of it before I mount it. I just got some NFC keychains from buynfctags.com. They were pretty cheap. I will use them in the future in the car.

Have you tried the ones designed to go on metal? I ordered a few to test out. It's definitely not the coil. I can take the back off and still have problems.

I can get this one to fire if I hold the phone just right.

naqzar

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

OK so I have put mine inside a diztronic case. Last night I had the copper tape reading 5.6 on the multimeter and today it won't read past .2 I removed the copper tape from the coil and even re-soldered it. Still can't get 5.6 anywhere except at the coil itself. Any help would be appreciated.

smopoim86

May 22, 2012
Visit site

So, I have an interesting problem. If the phone is off, It will charge. If I plug a charging cable into the phone while on the touchstone and then unplug it, it will charge.

If I just put it on the touchstone, it doesn't charge.

Any Idea what's going on?

drew823

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
So, I have an interesting problem. If the phone is off, It will charge. If I plug a charging cable into the phone while on the touchstone and then unplug it, it will charge.

If I just put it on the touchstone, it doesn't charge.

Any Idea what's going on?

I am having this same issue anyone figure this out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

smopoim86

May 22, 2012
Visit site

For additional info. I'm using a Toroplus with Team EOS on it and franco kernel. I tried a different rom and had the same symptoms. Is it a hardware problem?

newsky4

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Help, the mod is working great just a little chalange with the franco fast charge but i think is that im not using the original palm charger and usb, just ordered it to see if it works but the problem that im having is, the phone has rebooted 3 times in two days when is charging on the touchstone but when it comes back on it says UNABLE TO ENCRYPT YOUR YOU PLEASE RESET YOUR PHONE. then nothing works i have to remove the batt and then it works, but the first time that it rebooted i lost permitions to all my google apps and the market i had to re-flash the rom for it to work fine. Any one seen this problem.
Im running a total of 12 magnets 4 original and 2 on top of each original, i just turned of the nfc to see if is a magnetic field issue if not gonna try removing 4 magnets.

newsky4

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

attachment

That is how I have the magnets setup, it looks like is shorting out but is not it has tape on the copper, also i have so many magnets cause im
did the mod inside a rinkle case that i use without the original battery cover. It works very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox