VZW GN pogo pins not charging

whitehat09

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
So I finally had time to revisit this and was going to check and see what charging rates the GN reports when using the pogo pins. The homescreen battery icon has a lightning bolt through it but to my surprise the Settings>Battery status says not charging. I dont really understand why, maybe it has to do with that middle pin because right now I have it grounded. I'll come back in a bit with another update.

bluesboss2

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
"The only thing left to do is to find a good base where the pins can be mounted, however its proving to be more difficult than I expected to mount the pins in just the right way. The pogo pins are pretty small, the case adds a layer that makes it hard to see if the pins line-up, and the fact that it takes 10+ seconds for the GN to indicate that its charging doesn't help either."

What about laying a thin layer of play-doh covered with a single layer of plastic wrap, on the the ledge where the pins will be mounted? Then you might be able to gently slide the phone into the dock, allowing the 3-pins on the phone to make a slight impression in exactly the right position, thus knowing where to drill the mounting holes. Just a thought. Hope it helps.

tanman87

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

fmmi

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: VZW GN pogo pins not charging / 4.0.4 changes / issue?

It's been pointed out somewhere in that thread that it can take up to 10-12 seconds before the phone shows that it's charging with the TS mod. Maybe you just need to keep the power there longer?

Hi. I did this a little differently - I bought a Palm Pre "touchstone" back cover and a Palm Pre touchstone charger (paid $8 for both) and then disassembled my GN. I soldered two wires to the + and - pins, then routed those wires through a small hole that was near the pins. I then bought an 'extended battery cover' ($6), stripped out the inductive parts from the Palm Pre cover, taped them on back of the extended battery cover, then connected the circuit board for the inductive receiver to the two wires. Using the 2100 mAH battery cover and the 1800 mAh battery allowed for just the right amount of space for all the stuff to fix inside; the cover snapped on nicely. Looking at the outside of my phone, you would never know it was changed. This has been a fantastic convenience to charge it daily.

So why am I bringing this up? Today, I was forced to the 4.0.4 update. Before that, I was able to drop my phone on the charger and in a matter of just 2-3 seconds it would show it was charging. Now it is taking over 10 seconds. You mentioned it was taking your phone 10-12 seconds. Are you by any chance on 4.0.4? And what is the TS mod?

Lastly, does anyone know if the upgrade changed anything associated with the dock? I find this long delay frustrating, as I must sometimes play with the phone to get the receiver and transmitter components to line up correctly. I would guess that anyone using the pins would also wonder if they are touching correctly as well...

Thanks

Frank
Michigan

Rob Mellor

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I know this thread is a year old, But I recently started modding my GNEX and found exactly this. If you connect middle and top pins to gnd the charging handshake cycle doesnt complete, and it stops charging.
If you watch the current When you connect just the top pin to GND and the bottom to +5V it performs a quick bit of cycling then the current ramps up to 400mA and it stops there. It says USB charging which is not ideal as it means it will only keep it alive if you've got the screen kept alive and stuff running (god forbid GPS!)

do you know how to configure it to get it to allow higher currents? say 1A? so it says AC Charging

noseph

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I know this thread is a year old, But I recently started modding my GNEX and found exactly this. If you connect middle and top pins to gnd the charging handshake cycle doesnt complete, and it stops charging.
If you watch the current When you connect just the top pin to GND and the bottom to +5V it performs a quick bit of cycling then the current ramps up to 400mA and it stops there. It says USB charging which is not ideal as it means it will only keep it alive if you've got the screen kept alive and stuff running (god forbid GPS!)

do you know how to configure it to get it to allow higher currents? say 1A? so it says AC Charging

You will need to turn on USB Fast Charge.