So this is a bit of free-form narrative concerning the 3 hours in which I caved and bought a Zagg shield.

Last night, approximately 10pm @ Best Buy - my usual Best Buy routine is fairly simple; I root around the DVDs, accessories, then meander to see what they have for my phone. As usual, nothing other than the sem-garbage Rocketfish case, some case I've never heard of, and the Zagg shield.

This piques my interest. I had 2 of these--one for my iPod(s), one for my Incredible. Overall, it did the job, while looking somewhat terrible and with the dreaded tackiness. I had read about 2 months ago that their "formula" had changed, resulting in--theoretically--less of those dreaded qualities.

I can now you tell you that those are all lies.

This morning, approximately 12am @ my casa - the shield has been on for ~2 hours at this point. It is then I noticed this scratch, which appeared to be on the protector. But what if it wasn't? Well, of course I had to check. Screen was still scratch free, thank God. Reapplied the shield, and then proceeded to dream of the white scratch for 10 hours until going to BB in the morning.

This morning, approximately 11:30am @ Best Buy - I buy the replacement, go home to install it, and immediately notice some weird bump. That's fine; I "washed" it out, proceeding to get all forms of lovely pieces of lint on it. Most of which were removed, one of which was not. Fast forward to now, when frustration had me put it on the card and debate trying for a warranty replacement or scratching it all up to a "learning experience" . . .

Here are Dylan's morals of the story:

(1) While on, it still felt and looked terrible.

(2) These things have weird quirks; I watched some lady rip through 3 GS2 screens for defects. Kind of odd, eh?

(3) Self/home application, even with a shower going and immense OCD supporting the endeavor, is still a pain.

(4) My ladies sock that doubles as a "sleeve" looks and feels 100% better than the Zagg shield.

(5) I just bought an XO Skin, just cause.
    03-04-2012 11:55 AM
    That's been my experience with them too - either they go on perfectly or it's a absolute botch job of bubbles, wrinkles trapped dust/fingerprints.

Sorry for your pain and suffering, but I'm glad I'm not alone!
    03-04-2012 08:16 PM
    That's been my experience with them too - either they go on perfectly or it's a absolute botch job of bubbles, wrinkles trapped dust/fingerprints.

Sorry for your pain and suffering, but I'm glad I'm not alone!
    Oh yeah. To top it all off, my volume rocker started acting funny after the install so the height of my paranoia/disappointment knew no bounds yesterday!
    03-05-2012 10:49 AM
    I love them....
    I have it down to a science that eliminates all tackiness.
    They keep changing their system but a few months ago went back to the squeegee instead of the stupid credit card to smooth out bumps....

I soak the heck out of them and let them sit. 10 mins later I use them...I am guilty but I do use compressed air and don't put it in a case or pocket for 2 days. After a week, it's like butter for me
    03-05-2012 02:24 PM
    I love them....
    I have it down to a science that eliminates all tackiness.
    They keep changing their system but a few months ago went back to the squeegee instead of the stupid credit card to smooth out bumps....

I soak the heck out of them and let them sit. 10 mins later I use them...I am guilty but I do use compressed air and don't put it in a case or pocket for 2 days. After a week, it's like butter for me
    You know I think I remembered something you had in your sig regarding application, and I tried soaking it, but alas. The first one went on fine, but with this garish scratch thing. The second one immediately got lint on it, and while I could get off most, but the time I did it looked terrible (like I actually took off the adhesive/whatever that crap is).

Oh well :/

That and the install coinciding with the loss of my volume rocker has tarnished Zagg forever lol
    03-05-2012 02:34 PM
    I can't stand the tackiness that the Zagg Invisible Shields have. I really like the one I purchased for my GNex though. It's by SGP, it's the Steinheil Flex Series for the Galaxy Nexus. It has a much smoother feel than the Invisible Shield, and it has really no orange peel effect. I also like that it comes with two, rather than just one. However, I still think that wet applications are really hard to do...
    03-05-2012 09:56 PM
    I find the dry zagg invisishield dry are phenomenal. After a couple days they lose the tacky feel and are barely even noticeable. Orange peel effect seems to come mostly from the wet.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    03-06-2012 02:34 AM
    I find the dry zagg invisishield dry are phenomenal. After a couple days they lose the tacky feel and are barely even noticeable. Orange peel effect seems to come mostly from the wet.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    They make dry ones?! That's a product I'd get behind...
    03-06-2012 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD