Where is the Car Dock?!

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Was hanging with my brother this weekend got the privilege of watching him enjoy his Nexus S paired with his car dock. What is going on with the Galaxy Nexus car dock?

I thought Google valued the use of Google Maps as a navigation tool to be used with Google Places etc. So why is Samsung screwing around with this accessory?

The Galaxy Nexus was released Dec. 16 in the U.S, over 3 months ago! It was released even earlier in Europe. Has anyone heard any news on the car dock for this phone.

I had the card dock for my Nexus One and I don't seem to recall it taking this long to get the dock. What a debacle...

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Where is the Car Dock???!!!!

Well I did find this one:
Galaxy Nexus

But is this the only one we are going to see? It's basically $50 for a piece of plastic and a suction cup. It has no internal electronics.

My Nexus One dock cost $55 and was constructed of metal and plastic, came with a USB cord, and charged the phone thru the pins on the side. Not to mention it connected to the phone via Bluetooth.

Does anyone have any coupons for Samsung.com. I sure as heck won't pay $50 for a plastic mount.

Dirty-Bird

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
It really feels like we've been hung out to dry with this phone. As someone who wasn't familiar with the "Nexus" thing before buying this it intrigued me. In some of those ways it hasn't delivered. I still like the vanilla ICS thing a lot but support hasn't been great (hardware or software). Although, nothing is too out of sorts with my phone so that good at least.

biggbrother2

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Apparently the Nexus One dock did take a while to come out as well. The Nexus One was released early January 2009 and the car dock wasn't released until April:

Behold, the Nexus One car dock... and no, you still can't buy it (update: oh, yes you can!) -- Engadget

Expansys got a hold of someone at Samsung who told them the GSM version with the POGO pin connector would not fit the Verizon Galaxy Nexus because of the thickness. However, Expansys got their hands on a European "HDMI Dock" for the GSM version and apparently the Verizon Gnex fits and works properly, despite the tad extra thickness.

So this may bode well for those of us looking to import the dock for the GSM Gnex.

nuchdog

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Rumors are that the current 4.0.2 does not play well with docks. The OS does not go into dock/car mode correctly. Samsung has said that they wont put out any more docks (the desktop dock was available for a short while) until the software can support it. Those that did get a desktop dock seemed to acknowledge that flashing the leak of 4.0.4 seemed to fix their issues. So hopefully, when the rumored 4.0.5 is released in April (crosses fingers) it will include the dock fixes and we may start to see real accessories at a reasonable price.

Keep in mind that is based on 2-3 rumors that are floating around.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Maybe we are not talking apples to apples here, but I just switched from the Captivate running CM9 (4.0.4), and it not only used the dock and dock mode perfectly, but would split the single USB input on the dock into USB power and Audio AUX (like it is supposed to!!) and it worked great. It was a bumpy ride for the dock on stock Samsung software, but it worked fine on CM. Since 2.3 update, or shortly after, it even worked on Samsung ROMs well.

Samsung dock, Samsung SGS I phone, and CM9. This dock situation is bogus for our phone. There must not be too many VZ Gnex phones by comparison... there is no reason Samsung would not try and make the mass dollars on accessories, unless they didn't think enough would buy them.

/rant

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I ask this crap every single day. Pisses me off so much. OG Droid had it, Droid X had it, Charge had it and now the Nexus, supposed to be flagship and still no dock. I got the cheap plastic one for free and hate having to plug in the charging cable every time. Lame ass Google/Verizon/Samsung.

winthropboy41

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I WANT THE 3 PIN CAR DOCK AND AM TIRED OF ASKING BEST BUY AND VERIZON WHEN IT'S COMING IN. I CALLED SAMSUNG TODAY AND THEY TOLD ME THAT IT IS ONLY BEING SOLD OVERSEAS. THEY SAID THAT HAPPENS SOMETIMES WITH SOME ACCESSORIES. THIS JUST HAPPENS TO BE ONE THAT THE US IS NOT GETTING...AT LEAST FOR TODAY (04/11/12), BUT I THINK IF WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN IT YET, IT'S NOT COMING. THE SAMSUNG REP HAD NO INFO ON IT FOR ME EITHER. BLAH! I AM DUE FOR AN UPGRADE SOON AND I'M THINKING OF GOING BACK TO THE HTC BRAND. THEY HAD EVERY ACCESSORY, JUST AS MOTOROLA DOES FOR THEIR PHONES. I LOVE MY NEXUS, BUT I HATE NOT HAVING THE CAR DOCK I WANT. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

Just wanted to share this info with you all.

Sincerely,
Gregabyte

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I realize that me getting upset and stomping my feet won't change anything but I will never buy a Nexus phone again. Not unless the accessories I want are sitting next to it in the store.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

complexx

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty much going back to motorola when my upgrade is available. I like this phone, don't get me wrong, but lousy accessories, slow updates, and the fact that the radio is somewhat weak is really putting a damper on my user experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674