Otterbox defender series

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So I broke down and spent the 50 bucks for this thing and it's a love hate relationship.
I hate the size it adds to this sleek phone, it turns it into a tank.
I love the fact that I feel I could drop it off a roof with no damage.
Any one else use it? Your thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I got the defender a couple days ago and I liked it a lot, today I installed a verizon screen protector and popped the built in screen protector out of the defender and now I LOVE this case. Not sure about the rest of you but the built in protector not only made my screen look a little hazy but it also had a major effect on the sensitivity of the screen causing me to either A. Push the screen harder or B. Tap multiple times to select anything. Just my thoughts and what I've done to make it an even better case for me.

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Since otterbox won't give us more colors for the defender series, I decided to take matters into my own hands lol

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Just go to your local auto parts store and get a can of white primer and any color spray paint that you want. Spray the primer first so the final color will look right and you won't see the black through it. Mine was easier because I popped the built in screen protector out but if you keep yours just use painters tape and tape the screen so you won't get paint on it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Just go to your local auto parts store and get a can of white primer and any color spray paint that you want. Spray the primer first so the final color will look right and you won't see the black through it. Mine was easier because I popped the built in screen protector out but if you keep yours just use painters tape and tape the screen so you won't get paint on it.

That sounds easy enough. Thanks for the directions.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't already you need to go to their web site and fill out the warranty claim form or call customer service, chances are they will replace it for you.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MikeOM

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the Commuter, and while not as bulky, I feel like my GN is indestructible with it on.

I also have the commuter and love it. I just can't take the bulk of the defender. Of course if you work in certain industries the defender is the best option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Destoration

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a otterbox online and the case fits great and feels heavy duty but the screen protector looks like crap. It's cloudy and makes the screen have sort of a rainbow sheen to it. Is this just something you need to put up with or did I just get a bad screen protector?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I loved it until I dropped it and the clip broke off the back of the cradle,had no problems with the size or the clear screen cover.

My clip broke off the holster to they replaced the entire case not just the holster :)

Not sent by you

Dirty Crow

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I use the defender case. I take the phone out of it when I'm at my desk(s) or not moving around and always keep it in a pocket all by its self. If I am driving, moving around, walking, etc etc I pop it right into the case. Coworker in the office didn't bother to put his in a case or get a screen protector and the body of the phone looks OK but the screen looks like he scrubbed it with a Brillo pad.

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

Alright, I just got my Defender case in the mail. Three questions: How did you pop your screen protector out? Did you remove it before or after painting? And last, did you paint the whole case, or just the part that shows? Thanks!

jhaire08

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
#1: apply pressure around the edges of the screen and it will pop out.

#2: remove the screen before painting.

#3: I actually painted the entire case because it was easier to spray it all instead of just trying to paint the parts that show.

Any more questions just ask and I'll be glad to help.

BaMaDuDe87

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
So I broke down and spent the 50 bucks for this thing and it's a love hate relationship.
I hate the size it adds to this sleek phone, it turns it into a tank.
I love the fact that I feel I could drop it off a roof with no damage.
Any one else use it? Your thoughts?

I absolutely feel the same way, but after having one on my BB Tour it was a no brainer that one was going on everything I get from now on. It does add a lot of bulk, but the protection is second to none and they 10000000% stand behind their product. I have had my phone for a few weeks now and it has only been out of the Otterbox for a total of about 72 hours. I might try a few other cases in the future, but this case cant be replaced in my eyes.