Samsung "No Verizon GNex car dock planned"

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I have been waiting for the car dock and had hoped that the recent upgrade would allow docks to hit the market. I went to Samsung's website and read the reviews of the car "mount". Out of 34 reviews only one liked it, and I think it is very suspicious, and the rest compared it to a useless lump of plastic. I noticed a Samsung customer service number and called to ask if a car dock was in our future. He said that they usually only make one per phone and the existing non-charging mount is it. No other mounts are planned for the phone. I can't believe I have waited six months for this, very disappointed!

How ironic, the biggest complaint on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is sub-par battery life and each phone has convenient charging pins that will never be used.

ruh-roh-raggy

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree! Just browsing through Samsung's listing of car docks, there isn't much to be had for ANY type of car dock that also charges the phone. :mad: Pathetic. Would be nice if a 3rd party manufacturer would come up with a good one.

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I was also looking to an alternative to the glorified belt clip that is Sammy's car dock, and saw a post the other day that a version of the international car dock will work on the S/VZW Galaxy Nexus with one small mod. Can't find the link now. It's here in forums somewhere. Sammy's dock for the Galaxy SII is more what I'm looking for.

I also saw that the non-charging, non-audio-out dock was due to the fact that the dock-sensing software didn't work on or didn't come with the pure-google phone. I'd imagine you could get the software from somewhere else and make it work with another dock, like the one I can't find above.

--Qfg

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
So, I don't get it... If a Euro model exists, and can be made to work with ours, then why can't they just make us one? Something is not right in GNEX land...

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
It is worth it. Removes this as a problem, and leaves you with whatever other problems you might have left to work on ;).

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey,
Just came across this discussion. I don't know if this would make anyone happy, but I'm pretty satisfied with a work-around that I came across on another discussion. I bought a plain old ordinary windshield mount for my Nexus and then installed a dock app from the market. When I turn on the app, it gives me big buttons to tap, and also turns on the steering wheel icon in the upper left hand corner, which indicates it is in dock mode. then any app I go to stays on (no screen dimming) until I close out the dock app. I should also add that since I use an Otterbox case which isn't easy to pop on and off, this ended up being a better option for me anyway since a real dock never would have been able to touch the pins on my phone.

Just thought I'd throw that in in case it helps anyone else.

anon(186320)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just saw this thread and I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I purchased the cheap dock the VZW had when the GNex came out. I threw an NFC tag in it, set to open Car Home, enable Bluetooth, disable wifi and set the ringer to high. The only thing I have to do once the phone is in the dock is plug it in. Works like a charm.

Sent from my Unicornified, LK'ed-out, 4.0.4-driven LTE GNex

Reactions: Cigar-Junkie

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I just saw this thread and I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I purchased the cheap dock the VZW had when the GNex came out. I threw an NFC tag in it, set to open Car Home, enable Bluetooth, disable wifi and set the ringer to high. The only thing I have to do once the phone is in the dock is plug it in. Works like a charm.

Sent from my Unicornified, LK'ed-out, 4.0.4-driven LTE GNex

I would rather force them to make a dock but this does look interesting. And there is still the pogo pin thing. I am sure that I will wear out my USB socket before my phone dies of other causes.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Going to the OBX which is a eight hour drive. I hate to admit that I broke down and bought the lump of plastic, oh well, I've lost more than this in one sitting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
You guy should really look at the tetrax mounts... I love mine... used the same one on my last 3 phones...
Love the fact they are really tiny... cant stand those big bulky holders in my car any more...
Danny

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz