Who will or won't root their Nexus?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if its even possible yet for the Nexus, but I'm sure its coming if its not. I rooted my Fascinate and I do think that its way better, especially with all of the bloatware off of it (perhaps the best part) but it seems to be getting more and more buggy. Things like the camera often lock up, bluetooth keeps unlinking from the car, random reboots, etc. So the Nexus is coming sans most bloatware with a cool new OS and I'm thinking that maybe if I keep it stock that the phone will stay nice and stable.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted and put vanilla Gingerbread 7 (2.3.5) last night and with all the bloatware gone it's fast as hell and completely stable. I can actually wait a while longer w/ no complaints for the Gnexus now. I will not be rooting my Gnexus as I want to use certain programs for work on it that won't work on rooted devices... at least for the 1st couple months I will just run stock.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Rooted, Rom'd my Fascinate. Love it now! On the GN I will use a different Launcher and Browser and see how it goes for a while before looking for new Roms or an excuse to root.

belniente

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I won't root until I run into a compelling need to root. As it is, it'll be my first Android device, so I figure I'll get to know it as it was made before fiddling with things I don't understand. I've seen lots of reasons to root, but none that I think will be necessary for me within the first few months at least.

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
rooting the Fascinate was annoying as hell... the OGdroid was so much easier and the Gnexus will obviously be very easy to root. It will be fun times for all.

wes008

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooting. Bootloader unlock from day one, and root once it's stable. I'm hoping that the VZW apps can be removed without rooting, but I'm still rooting to install Tegra 2 drivers. :p None of the ROM crap that I did with my Thunderbolt, though.

mysterx

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I will unlock the bootloader before I do anything else, since that is supposed to wipe all the phone data. But I don't know if I'll root yet. I don't care to run a custom ROM. I'd only be interested in root to run other apps that require root (e.g. setcpu, titanium backup, etc.). But I'm leary about rooting because I don't want to be constantly messing with re-rooting or possibly bricking after OTA updates, which I suspect will come much more often directly from Google. If I knew that OTA updates wouldn't pucker up root (or worse brick the phone), I'd be much more apt to root.

-me

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure yet. The only reasons I really rooted my Thunderbolt were to get rid of bloatware/ HTC Sense, and for a few other little features (screenshots, etc.), but none of that will really be a factor with the Nexus.

ScottiePP7

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I want to wait and see how the first update to codebase goes.

I have a feeling after all we have seen from Verizon mucking up the pure google experience we might not be getting code updates as fast as the rest of the world. If that is the case, I will root this puppy about 10 seconds after I find out that information.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I probably won't root for quite a while if at all. I did unlock the bootoader on my GSM Nexus, just to learn how to do it just in case. I will unlock the bootloader on the Verizon model as soon as a get it.

bluesboss2

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I probably won't root for quite a while if at all. I did unlock the bootoader on my GSM Nexus, just to learn how to do it just in case. I will unlock the bootloader on the Verizon model as soon as a get it.

I've heard that Google Music won't work after unlocking the bootloader. Is that correct? Thanks.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Who will or won't root their Nexus?

I will on the first day.

There is so much you can do when rooted.

Load custom boot anis and shutdown anis
Change system sounds.
Install custom fonts
Install and use useful root only apps
Use themes
Way more stuff, but you get the point.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Unlock bootloader and root? Within the first hour!

That said, I'm gonna run stock for a while before flashing the eventual cm9 on the device. Very excited to put ICS through its paces