Stuck on Google screen bootloop

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Guys, if you try to unlock / root your phone and it gets screwed up, please don't take it back to Verizon...

All that does is lend credence to their position that locked bootloaders reduce support issues.

It's fixable and as more people get these phones you'll start finding more resources and help. It's fixable.

albertsm

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I just ran a system wipe/ recovery using the bootloader menu... back up and running.

All i did was get back into bootloader by holding both VOL up and VOL down then power. once in, i went used vol down to scroll to recover, and then used power to accept. after it ran (5 minutes) it booted fine!

Worked! Thank you!

Just to add, the first time I tried it still boot looped. So I went back into the bootloader, ran fastboot oem unlock, re-ran recovery and then it booted ok.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
And VZ can't help anyways. I took my phone up to Verizon after i re locked and they said it was stuck in bootloop because their network was spazzing with updates. I laughed, came home and fixed it myself lol.

MBerlowitz5181

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
And VZ can't help anyways. I took my phone up to Verizon after i re locked and they said it was stuck in bootloop because their network was spazzing with updates. I laughed, came home and fixed it myself lol.

That reaction does not surprise me in anyway at all. that's typical VZW. I guess it can be said, some of us are having some issues getting the Nexus bootloader unlocked, but i think it is worth the few headaches i went through.

Good luck to others and hopefully this thread has been able to help some people!:)

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Any mac users having issues? I just completely set my Nexus back to stock with the factory image and am now updating. I can possibly help. I now see why the Nexus is so special. Within the day we've had recovery images unlocked bootloaders and custom roms. I love this phone. And this community. So happy i let go of my rezound. You guys are freaking awesome!

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm convinced that if you are impatient and do a batterypull because it stays on the animation screen too long, you will mess it up. It is wiping the device during that time. If you don't allow it to complete the wipe, then you need to either lock and relock or wipe it manually.

jonp11

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced that if you are impatient and do a batterypull because it stays on the animation screen too long, you will mess it up. It is wiping the device during that time. If you don't allow it to complete the wipe, then you need to either lock and relock or wipe it manually.

I am sad to admit that I must be one of the impatient ones. I got to the point where I saw the unlock logo on the black google screen and then my g-nex went into that colorful boot animation for what seemed like forever. I did a batery pull and now Im in bootloop.

What is the process of re-locking the phone? (I keep seeing it referenced but am not sure of the steps)

yuzume83

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I am sad to admit that I must be one of the impatient ones. I got to the point where I saw the unlock logo on the black google screen and then my g-nex went into that colorful boot animation for what seemed like forever. I did a batery pull and now Im in bootloop.

What is the process of re-locking the phone? (I keep seeing it referenced but am not sure of the steps)

What worked for me was booting into Odin mode by holding VOL+ and VOL- and power key (VERY IMPORTANT TO HOLD BOTH, I kept doing vol- and power and that takes you to the wrong Odin screen), then I ran fastboot oem lock and fastboot oem unlock again, let it do it's thing for about five minutes and then it worked.

Reactions: dgwood12

jonp11

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
What worked for me was booting into Odin mode by holding VOL+ and VOL- and power key (VERY IMPORTANT TO HOLD BOTH, I kept doing vol- and power and that takes you to the wrong Odin screen), then I ran fastboot oem lock and fastboot oem unlock again, let it do it's thing for about five minutes and then it worked.

I realized, right after my last post, that simply typing lock or unlock in the command prompt after "fastboot oem" was all I needed to do. Now I am practicing patience and what do you know.....I am now back to that colorful collage of beautiful g-nex boot animation goodness. After 5 hours of banging my head against the wall, and dealing with a screaming 15 month old, I'll let this thing go on all night if it needs to. Thanks everyone for all the good info on here.

Now for another issue I can foresee here. When I picked up my g-nex this morning I was told that the sales-people are obligated to activate the phone. I would have rather not activated it then but whatever, I had errands to run so I needed to get get out of the store so I could get home to unlock this bootloader. Anyways, when I ran into this bootloop issue I was without a cell phone so I reactivated my HTC incredible by calling *228 and was told that my current SIM card would be deactivated. I'm wondering If that means Ill have to get a new SIM card now that my g-nex is up and running. I check it out and get back.

jonp11

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Now for another issue I can foresee here. When I picked up my g-nex this morning I was told that the sales-people are obligated to activate the phone. I would have rather not activated it then but whatever, I had errands to run so I needed to get get out of the store so I could get home to unlock this bootloader. Anyways, when I ran into this bootloop issue I was without a cell phone so I reactivated my HTC incredible by calling *228 and was told that my current SIM card would be deactivated. I'm wondering If that means Ill have to get a new SIM card now that my g-nex is up and running. I check it out and get back.

OK. So I just got off the phone with Verizon tech support. The guy told me that SIM cards will not be able to be reactivated if they are down for more than a day. I asked him what a "day" was in VZW terms (24 hours or the strike of midnight) and he said he thought it meant midnight. So in my case all I had to do was shut off my HTC incredible and than restart the g-nex. That was the equivalent of *228 for a 4G phone the tech said. Thought this was interesting.

Easton091

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Im stuck at a screen after getting caught in the loop and says downloading...do not turn off target. Any ideas what that means?

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
When I boot looped doing the unlocked bootlaoder if you still have the USB connected disconnect it then let it roll. Fixed my problems.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

panitsos

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
ya i unlocked and rooted the phone, powered it on and got the android guy and said downloading do not turn off, but above the android guy in big letters it said start, i hit start and its been looping with the color screen and in between it says android upgrading its been doing it for 15 minutes more or less. should i just leave it? or do i need to lock it again and unlock it?

MrLorence

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I too have been stuck at the color boot screen since I flashed the Modaco ROM that lets you actually use the facebook contacts...

I played three games of CoD hoping that would be enough time to let it do its thing, and it was still going.....

Should I be concerned?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Im stuck at a screen after getting caught in the loop and says downloading...do not turn off target. Any ideas what that means?

BTW ,,I made sure I had both the volume button pressed up(at the very top of volume button) and down at the same time by using both hands one index finger(right hand) holding near the end of volume up and with the left hand, index finger holding volume button down(at the very bottom of volume button).With my thumb I pressed the power button,til I saw andy just like the picture in the guide thats stickied (written by Cyber Warrior.)

That way your sure your not pushing in the middle of the volume button which may cause you to see the screen that you did.

Anyhoo glad you got it fixed back operational

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My phone seems to not get past the black Google screen, thoughts?

Mine took awhile I didnt pull the battery but unplugged the usb cord and held the power button in ,after awhile it did reboot and I was rooted .I cant remenber how exactly long it took to reboot but kinda nervous and then it rebooted lol

I think when people think its stuck and takes awhile is because its actually going though the wiping process.But I think you still need to unplug it after on the black google screen and hold power button in for 5 seconds.