Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Return to Stock: Factory Images for the VZW Galaxy Nexus

What real difference is there from the:

Stock JRO03O we got today...

from say a really custom ROM like:

Bugless Beast - that has been running JRO03O

to like highly custom ROMS like:

Euroskank - that has JRO03O for a few weeks now...

Besides. the new FF02/FG02 radios that is...

any other reason ... why you guys did, what you did..? I guess for those of you who want the really stock JB experience that VZ wants you to have early...?

Exactly for the last bit...other than that, just flash the radios and you're good to go.

Reactions: Droidintorrance

stephanb

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

lost root flashing the update..... how do i get it back please help!!!!!!!

thrgk

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

ok guys, i do the last command, fastboot –w update image-mysid-imm76k.zip and i get a whole list of things, but nothing happens, even if i take the .zip out. can someone help, its the last step! not sure what to do, all the other commands worked fine, plz!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

ok guys, i do the last command, fastboot ?w update image-mysid-imm76k.zip and i get a whole list of things, but nothing happens, even if i take the .zip out. can someone help, its the last step! not sure what to do, all the other commands worked fine, plz!

Don't unpack the zip. Watch the video. Does it do what it does on the video? There's a list of stuff that it does--it starts off by saying something like boot img and recovery img aren't there/found then it starts listing stuff and installing it. Just be patient--it's probably working this whole time :).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

got it to do it, now its just boot looping

Usually does that once or twice before going to the welcome screen. If you're bootlooping for 30 minutes, though, redo everything. And be absolutely sure to reboot the bootloader after each and every fastboot command!

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 37037

no it is like this, not that list lol

that's the screen from the "help" command for fastboot hmm

Edit: Okay just checked my idea and... fastboot displays default help commands if you type in any command it doesn't understand

Try typing in "fastboot bunnyrabbit" for example A lot of DOS apps used to do this when entering commands they didn't recognize

Ah looks like adb does the same

Just so everyone knows "adb help" and "fastboot help" will give you lists of commands

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

My apologies in advance for my noob questions here. I have a rooted Nexus (acquired that way), running 4.0.4 IMM76K. Apparently I've tweaked things enough (deleted standard apps I didn't need, switched to Nova Launcher, maybe others) such that I'm not able to get the official OTA JB update now. So, I need to get back to stock before I can either flash the leaked JB0030 or get the OTA update from VZW. I have a couple of basic q's about the instructions on the first page. Near the beginning, it says:

For all machines, I highly highly recommend installing the Android SDK, found here. For Windows machines, I recommend using Wug's Toolkit, found right here (we also have a support thread for this).

So for Windows, I need the Android SDK, and additionally Wug's Toolkit installed. Even though I'm not going to use the Wug's Toolkit application to do the return to stock (I'm going to use the instructions in the first post), I install the Toolkit because it installs various drivers and/or utilities I need. Is my understanding correct?

In the INFO box, the Third step says to "... hold down volume up, volume down, and the power button ..." and then at the end of that paragraph, it says to make sure the phone is connected to the computer. I assume I need to connect the phone before doing the "volume up+volume down+power", yes?

Thanks!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

My apologies in advance for my noob questions here. I have a rooted Nexus (acquired that way), running 4.0.4 IMM76K. Apparently I've tweaked things enough (deleted standard apps I didn't need, switched to Nova Launcher, maybe others) such that I'm not able to get the official OTA JB update now. So, I need to get back to stock before I can either flash the leaked JB0030 or get the OTA update from VZW. I have a couple of basic q's about the instructions on the first page. Near the beginning, it says:

So for Windows, I need the Android SDK, and additionally Wug's Toolkit installed. Even though I'm not going to use the Wug's Toolkit application to do the return to stock (I'm going to use the instructions in the first post), I install the Toolkit because it installs various drivers and/or utilities I need. Is my understanding correct?

In the INFO box, the Third step says to "... hold down volume up, volume down, and the power button ..." and then at the end of that paragraph, it says to make sure the phone is connected to the computer. I assume I need to connect the phone before doing the "volume up+volume down+power", yes?

Thanks!

I should actually clarify the language a bit.

First, I recommend getting the SDK because it's a very powerful tool. However, all you really, really need is

(1) To have the adb and fastboot drivers installed (can be done through Wug's Toolkit)
(2) To have a fastboot.exe application/executable (which is found in the Wug's Toolkit folder)

Once you have those two things, fastboot is ready to rock.

Regarding whether or not the phone must be plugged in before or after going to fastboot mode/bootloader: doesn't really matter. Just make sure it's plugged in when you get ready to issue/type in the commands.

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hm. How long should the first fastboot command take to complete? Here's what I did:

1. vol up+vol down+power, I get the screen which says "Start" at the top, has the android robot on its back and his front panel open, and some tiny words at the bottom. The first red words look like "FASTBOOT MODE".
2. I ran "fastboot.exe flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primla03.img" and it said "sending 'bootloader' (2308 KB)..." and it stayed like that, no other output or changes to either my Windows command window or my phone, for about 45 minutes. Is supposed to take that long and I just need to be patient or is something wrong?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Also, if your fastboot executable thinger is "fastboot-windows.exe", use "fastboot-windows" instead of fastboot.

If not, if just fastboot.exe, copy and paste my commands. Make note that the one command with the "-w" in it must be written out, not pasted. Why? Have not the slightest idea lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your quick reply again! Imagine if businesses had such responsive support staff. And you guys aren't even paid to help us. :)

Check it out: I got it working. Turns out it was my fault all along, sorry. I noticed I had the Easy Tether installed and running on my computer and figured that since it too uses the USB debugging mode of my android phone, it could be be interfering. So I simply exited Easy Tether on my computer and suddenly all your commands worked. I've just now gone all the way thru to relocking the bootloader and rebooting and signing into Google again.

BTW, on that last command with the "-w", I just copied your command but retyped the "-" in "-w" and it worked.

Thanks again for all your help!

Woohoo! And now here comes Jelly Bean!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your quick reply again! Imagine if businesses had such responsive support staff. And you guys aren't even paid to help us. :)

Check it out, I got it working. Turns out it was my fault all along. I noticed I had the Easy Tether installed and running on my computer and figured that since it too uses the USB debugging mode of my android phone, it could be be interfering. So I simply exited Easy Tether on my computer and suddenly all your commands worked. I've just now gone all the way thru to relocking the bootloader and rebooting and signing into Google again.

BTW, on that last command with the "-w", I just copied your command but retyped the "-" in "-w" and it worked.

Thanks again for all your help!

Woohoo! And now here comes Jelly Bean!

Lol no worries. This stuff is always an adventure. I appreciate your comments!

Regarding the -w thing, nice catch to isolate it to that. Sorta makes sense I suppose. Thanks!

Oh, and welcome to Jelly Bean :)

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper