[GUIDE] Return to Stock: Factory Images for the VZW Galaxy Nexus

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I am on JRO03L(bugless beast), can I upgrade to JRO03O or do i need to go back to 4.0.4?

You can flash all of this stuff from whatever you're on. It'll replace everything, just like going back to "stock" (except your stock was probably 4.0.2 or 4.0.4)

IMO, don't worry about it. Make sure to flash the radios (see zero's thread stickied here) and you'll be good to go :).

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I am on JRO03L(bugless beast), can I upgrade to JRO03O or do i need to go back to 4.0.4?

I'm sure Bugless will be updated soon enough. Honestly there is nothing you are missing out on.. It's a higher JB build number, no substantial changes. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
If I don't want to go completely back stock and just want the stock ROM, can I just use the last fastboot command?
Code:
fastboot –w update image-mysid-jro03o.zip

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If I don't want to go completely back stock and just want the stock ROM, can I just use the last fastboot command?
Code:
fastboot –w update image-mysid-jro03o.zip

Negative... that "-w" is what instructs the command to wipe the old stuff, and trying to flash a factory image without wiping you will be lucky if it boots up at all.

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
I plan on wiping /data and maybe even /system. I just don't want to return to stock bootloader et al.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I plan on wiping /data and maybe even /system. I just don't want to return to stock bootloader et al.

You're not on a custom bootloader, unless there's something out there I don't know about? IMO, the best thing about this update was the bootloader and radios.

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Right. I just want to go back to stock ROM without going all the way stock. I'm having odd lag issues, and I wanted to know if stock had the same.

I don't want to go through the process of looking my bootloader, returning to stock recovery, and the rest in the guide. I just want stock Jelly Bean the way Verizon and Google intended.

It's an experiment.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Right. I just want to go back to stock ROM without going all the way stock. I'm having odd lag issues, and I wanted to know if stock had the same.

I don't want to go through the process of looking my bootloader, returning to stock recovery, and the rest in the guide. I just want stock Jelly Bean the way Verizon and Google intended.

It's an experiment.

Have you see the OTA thread? Just flash it :).

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
That's just an update, right? Wouldn't that cause problems flashing over CM10-M1? It was my understanding that OTA updates just update system files and fail if the files are different from expected.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
That's just an update, right? Wouldn't that cause problems flashing over CM10-M1? It was my understanding that OTA updates just update system files and fail if the files are different from expected.

There should be a deodexed/rom version that you can flash.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
True, but it's not quite the same as stock ROM. I'm ok with losing data. I have backups. I'd just rather not go through more than necessary.

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
True, but it's not quite the same as stock ROM. I'm ok with losing data. I have backups. I'd just rather not go through more than necessary.

If you're ok with losing data then I wouldn't worry about it and just go the fastboot image route. To be honest, I'm kind of unsure what you're worrying about?

If you want stock, you either go stock or flash the stock rom, ya know?

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
If you're ok with losing data then I wouldn't worry about it and just go the fastboot image route. To be honest, I'm kind of unsure what you're worrying about?

If you want stock, you either go stock or flash the stock rom, ya know?

I'm really just wanting to know if I can skip all but the last step and end up with a stock image while keeping TWRP installed. I know it's not saving a lot of time in steps, but it means I don't have to transfer the contents of my internal storage off my phone and then back on if I don't have to lose TWRP in there for a time. The stock recovery formats /mnt/sdcard along with /data (I guess because it's in /data/media/), and TWRP does not.

Just a time-saving step I'm pondering while I can't do it yet anyway (need my phone for work).

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm really just wanting to know if I can skip all but the last step and end up with a stock image while keeping TWRP installed. I know it's not saving a lot of time in steps, but it means I don't have to transfer the contents of my internal storage off my phone and then back on if I don't have to lose TWRP in there for a time. The stock recovery formats /mnt/sdcard along with /data (I guess because it's in /data/media/), and TWRP does not.

Just a time-saving step I'm pondering while I can't do it yet anyway (need my phone for work).

Well, the recovery image is within that zip you highlighted earlier--so flashing that will flash the recovery. Why not flash all of that then flash TWRP? The only thing you'd have to do is go in and remove that reboot-from-recovery.p file.

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Well, the recovery image is within that zip you highlighted earlier--so flashing that will flash the recovery. Why not flash all of that then flash TWRP? The only thing you'd have to do is go in and remove that reboot-from-recovery.p file.

I'll look into that. Thanks!

Rixx3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Factory images for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Thanks, I almost cried. Spent almost a week trying to unroot a phone that had the Clockwork mod for a friend so she could activate it. Thank you very much for this

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Factory images for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Thanks, I almost cried. Spent almost a week trying to unroot a phone that had the Clockwork mod for a friend so she could activate it. Thank you very much for this

No problem :)