[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

What are the advantages and disadvantages using this method versus the ADB method, other than being easier? In a nut shell which method is better for rooting the Nexus?

Thanks

mjt1265

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

no matter how i install the drivers I still get waiting for device

It honestly took me 4 or 5 tries maybe even more before I could get it to work. Not sure why and normally I would have given up but I was dfetermined to get it working.
I never did anything different just kept downloading and waiting, the downloads took forever for me.
Eventually it worked.
Im sorry I cant give you any technical reason or fix but this worked for me LOL

Mazinger

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Just got my galaxy nexus today (16GB Telstra Australia) and rooted using the procedure here.

It was the easiest root ever! no problems at all and only a 2 minute wait to re-boot after the root.
No looping whatsoever, I almost couldn't believe it as I usually run into all sorts of problems with my past devices during rooting and I was expecting the same on this one. I'm glad it was smooth and stress free...thanks guys for the instructions and all your valuable inputs.

I just have one last thing in mind...

I saw a couple of earlier unanswered questions on this thread implying that Official OTA Updates will still work despite the root process we just did....Is this true??

Reason I ask is that I have read elsewhere that rooted GN owners have soft bricked their devices and had all sorts of drama with their phones after trying to install the official 4.0.2 OTA update..

..so that just confused me a bit. Will an official OTA update work after this root or are we gonna be forced to re-lock and unroot just to be able to get those official OTA updates to work?

That's the last thing I am not clear about so I hope anyone who knows for sure, or have tried it can share their accurate experience/answer.

Thanks!

rgray

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

i also keep getting waiting for device i tried everything mentioned on here my pc reads the phone when plugged in while on but in bootloader it wont ive tried everything

anson

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

I followed the instructions. They worked perfectly. However, when the GN rebooted, it was _not_ rooted. Apparently the procedure did not wipe, since all the apps I had previously installed remained. Should I return to the bootloader and do a full wipe?

How can I be sure the phone is unlocked?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I followed the instructions. They worked perfectly. However, when the GN rebooted, it was _not_ rooted. Apparently the procedure did not wipe, since all the apps I had previously installed remained. Should I return to the bootloader and do a full wipe?

How can I be sure the phone is unlocked?

When you boot into bootloader... at the bottom of the screen under the robot.. it should say Boot loader: Unlocked.
If its already unlocked.. just try flashing the superuser/root file again... or you can start from the beginning if you think it will help.

rgray

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

omg ive tried everything, it shows nothing in device mangaer

Linx645

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys, I'm running into some issues trying to unlock the bootloader. I keep getting "waiting for device" on my last command in Command Prompt. I decided to reinstall all the drivers and I noticed that when installing the Samsung driver v1.4.6.0 that I get:

SAMSUNG Mobile USB Composite Device: Ready to use
SAMSUNG Mobile MTP Device: Failed
SAMSUNG Android ADB Interface: Ready to use

I've tried downloading from different sources and Samsung with no help. Anyone got any advice? Thanks.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

It looks like I can't install superboot. When I click the link it says:

All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.

If this file belongs to you, please login to download it directly from your file manager.

So I don't know what's going on. Maybe I should just unlock my GNex first then try and get root later.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Link for super boot not working. Anybody want to send it to me via db

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I think to be honest is because the govt is shutting down these hosting sites like megaupload, etc. because of piracy.

Never thought of DB'ing it though....
Sorry I ddint' unlock this way.
I did it the droid-life.com way.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I think to be honest is because the govt is shutting down these hosting sites like megaupload, etc. because of piracy.

Yup sites been shutdown .If all these sites get shutdown thats gunno be a bunch of BS, looks like our govt censoring like the chinese govt does.
I saw another hosting wedsite thats been shut down as well already :mad:

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

It looks complicated and drove me nuts but it worked unlocking the bootloader using sdk tools.
all you need then are the samsung drivers and the google drivers for it.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Yeah the worst part about Android SDK is getting it all setup(along with the drivers ),but once its done ,,,,its done .It took me 30 minutes to set it all up ,and about 5 minutes of using command prompt ,;)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

yeah the worst part about sdk is getting it all setup(along with the drivers ),but once its done its done .it took me 30 minutes to set it all up ,and about 5 minutes of using command prompt ,;)

exactly my situation!!!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I'm working on getting you a new working link for super boot.. should have it posted in a little bit.

trmoney24

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site

what is the best way to unlock the bootloader and then install a custom ROM immedaitely? its been so long that i unlocked my phone and installed clockworkmod, I forgot what the steps were when I installed a ROM on my friend's stock Nexus. I ran into a few hiccups, but wanted to find out the most efficient way. Here's what I did.
1. unlock bootloader.
2. booted up phone, logged in with google account.
3. installed rom manager, installed clockworkmod.
4. installed root explorer and deleted the "recovery-from.boot.p" file cause i know i will restart a lot to install the ROM, Kernal, and new radio update.

anyhow, after i unlocked the bootloader, i thought there was a direct way to install the ROM immediately. I thought i was able to push clockworkmod using some ADB commands in the past, but couldn't figure it out, so then i did it the long way above! anyone know of a more streamlined method?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

what is the best way to unlock the bootloader and then install a custom ROM immedaitely? its been so long that i unlocked my phone and installed clockworkmod, I forgot what the steps were when I installed a ROM on my friend's stock Nexus. I ran into a few hiccups, but wanted to find out the most efficient way. Here's what I did.
1. unlock bootloader.
2. booted up phone, logged in with google account.
3. installed rom manager, installed clockworkmod.
4. installed root explorer and deleted the "recovery-from.boot.p" file cause i know i will restart a lot to install the ROM, Kernal, and new radio update.

anyhow, after i unlocked the bootloader, i thought there was a direct way to install the ROM immediately. I thought i was able to push clockworkmod using some ADB commands in the past, but couldn't figure it out, so then i did it the long way above! anyone know of a more streamlined method?
I would do it the same way you did. Don't try squeezing too many things in at once. The phone needs to reboot and time to settle in between flashes. You would also want to fully reboot after unlocking and rooting to make sure everything is working correctly before moving on to making a nandroid backup of the stock ROM. Once everything is working smoothly... then start flashing custom ROMs.

Reactions: trmoney24