[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

tigerhoodz06

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Nope. Pull the battery and turn back on. With root explorer goto /system and rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p", put a 1 in front or .bak. Then with ROM manager reflash CWM and you should be good to go. Boot into CWM.
So I had the same issue with the the android on his back and the caution sign above him, and i tried to rename that file with root explorer and I got a messasge saying "recovery-from-boot.p cannot be renamed because the file system is read-only." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

So I had the same issue with the the android on his back and the caution sign above him, and i tried to rename that file with root explorer and I got a messasge saying "recovery-from-boot.p cannot be renamed because the file system is read-only." Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On top of the screen of the root explorer app you will see a grey box that says "Mount R/W".. You need to switch that to" R/O" so that to the left of the box it will say "mounted as read/write"... Now you should be able to make your changes to the file.. When done switch it back to" mounted as read only"

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

OK, here's my issue. I rooted on 4.0.4, have the Super User app but keep getting an "Error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands" in ClockworkMod. I assume SU permissions aren't being granted properly.. I see there's a 4.0.4 zip for updated SU permissions and to flash it from recovery, but how can I do that if I dont have clockwork mod flashed?

Did you ever get this answered or figured out? I'm in the same situation.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

This error occurs in recovery? You don't need to be rooted to use recovery.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I'm just trying to figure out how to flash the new SU.zip for 4.04.
I thought I was rooted, but I'm unable to flash CWM through ROM manager. I have a superuser icon and stuff. I just get the error while attempting to run privileged blah blah blah message.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

What happens when you tap reboot into recovery?

I'll just keep my questions to this thread? Don't want to keep going through PM and this. lol

When I go into recovery via the bootloader, it takes me to a screen with an android and an exclamation point.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll just keep my questions to this thread? Don't want to keep going through PM and this. lol

When I go into recovery via the bootloader, it takes me to a screen with an android and an exclamation point.

Ok. You need to download a folder called r3 superboot and use that to flash. I posted a link to a guide from droidforums in the MAC method thread and there should be a zip here as well.

Reactions: 2defmouze

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Ok. You need to download a folder called r3 superboot and use that to flash. I posted a link to a guide from droidforums in the MAC method thread and there should be a zip here as well.

So I followed the guide you posted near the end of that thread.
I placed the CWM recovery image in the r3 folder, did the terminal commands, etc.
Was able to use CWM recovery to install the new SU.zip.
Went into rom manager and I was able to flash CWM successfully.

At the end of the guide you posted you said something about renaming a file or something rather? Do I need to do that even though I was able to flash CWM through Rom manager, or am I finally good to go and can start installing my jelly bean goodness? Thanks for the help man, you are truly awesome.

Reactions: dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So I followed the guide you posted near the end of that thread.
I placed the CWM recovery image in the r3 folder, did the terminal commands, etc.
Was able to use CWM recovery to install the new SU.zip.
Went into rom manager and I was able to flash CWM successfully.

At the end of the guide you posted you said something about renaming a file or something rather? Do I need to do that even though I was able to flash CWM through Rom manager, or am I finally good to go and can start installing my jelly bean goodness? Thanks for the help man, you are truly awesome.

You may need to reflash cwm the same way you did if the file exists. I suggest checking out the link. It's a file within either system or system /lib and it says "recover from" something something.

Or look up "cwm recovery won't stick."

You may not even have it. A quick way to check is trying to go to recovery.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

You may need to reflash cwm the same way you did if the file exists. I suggest checking out the link. It's a file within either system or system /lib and it says "recover from" something something.

Yeah, I went to check and it's back to the little android dude, so no stick.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

So I'm trying to delete the recovery-from-boot.p file in /system, but it says I can't because it's read only or something?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

So I'm trying to delete the recovery-from-boot.p file in /system, but it says I can't because it's read only or something?

What file manager do you have? You need to change permissions from "read only" (r/o) to "read and write" (r/w). In ES File Explorer that's in the main settings; in Root Explorer, you should see a little tap-able toggle at the top of the window that says "make r/w."

Delete it, then turn it back to r/o, and you should be good.

Reactions: 2defmouze

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

What file manager do you have? You need to change permissions from "read only" (r/o) to "read and write" (r/w). In ES File Explorer that's in the main settings; in Root Explorer, you should see a little tap-able toggle at the top of the window that says "make r/w."

Delete it, then turn it back to r/o, and you should be good.

Oh goodness, I'm stupid.
Worked like a charm! I should be good to go now!

Thanks for all of your help again. We would be truly lost without you here!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Oh goodness, I'm stupid.
Worked like a charm! I should be good to go now!

Thanks for all of your help again. We would be truly lost without you here!

lol no worries, it's my pleasure.

Also, I would say 100% of custom roms have that file removed, so don't worry about CWM sticking when you flash :).

Reactions: zero neck

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site

Is there a new version of CWM available? The original post has a 5.* version... isn't 6.* out now? I have no idea where I go to get new versions of CWM.

Cowql8er

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Had mine rooted before the 4.0.4 update. I lost root, of course. I was still unlocked so just proceeded with the root tool. I've been at the Google lock screen for a good 20 minutes now. When should I start to worry?

Update: tried various things seen in this thread, ended up doing a battery pull. Everything is working fine (or seems to be), but no root. At least I'm not bricked.

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Had mine rooted before the 4.0.4 update. I lost root, of course. I was still unlocked so just proceeded with the root tool. I've been at the Google lock screen for a good 20 minutes now. When should I start to worry?

Update: tried various things seen in this thread, ended up doing a battery pull. Everything is working fine (or seems to be), but no root. At least I'm not bricked.

you need to flash this version of the su package in recovery - 4.0.4 superuser

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn