[GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexus

ohnoepatrol

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How To Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Nexu

Hi, first post an the what not.
So followed the initial unlock steps on my GNex just fine, all unlocked (thank you btw). Have 4.0.4 an tried following steps to root that version except when I attempt to boot into recovery mode to flash the suggested SU.zip (which is loaded into device) I get the sad dead android. I get very confused on that whole part as it is. Sorry if I overlooked someone already resolving this, if so, just direct me there.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi, first post an the what not.
So followed the initial unlock steps on my GNex just fine, all unlocked (thank you btw). Have 4.0.4 an tried following steps to root that version except when I attempt to boot into recovery mode to flash the suggested SU.zip (which is loaded into device) I get the sad dead android. I get very confused on that whole part as it is. Sorry if I overlooked someone already resolving this, if so, just direct me there.

Recovery isn't sticking, it won't until you root and remove the recovery-from-boot.p file from /system.

To boot into recovery and flash the su.zip just open the terminal as you did before inside the folder with your fastboot file and recovery.img you want to flash, have the phone in bootloader mode and connected. Type:
fastboot boot recovery nameofrecovery.img
And hit enter.

Note to change the nameofrecovery to the exact name of the img, and if the fastboot command needs to be entered slightly different make sure you do (you don't mention what OS you are using).

Also make sure the su.zip is the one for 4.0.4... I believe it's I am the OP or its been posted throughout this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ohnoepatrol

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site

resolved issues .. eventually, WUG helped. Yay. Ignore OP

Last edited:

axeb

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Rooting the 4.04 update (if your phones bootloader is not already unlocked.. you will need to unlock the bootloader first/directions in the first post)

5. On your phone, scroll down to “Recovery Mode” and press the power button.
6. Your phone should boot into Clockwork Recovery.
7. Select “install zip from sdcard.”
8. Find the su.zip file that you downloaded earlier. Choose it and flash it.
9. Reboot your phone and you should now be rooted.

credit adrynalyne for the new su.zip

I got to step 7. Do I actually need an sdcard, or is does this system option include whatever is downloaded to "Internal Storage." I followed the directions and sent "su.zip" to the root of "Internal Storage."

After making the selection on step 7 I was given another screen of choices. One was to select "update.zip." I went back, then selected it again "install zip from sdcard" again. The options went blank leaving me with only the Clockwork logo in the middle of the screen (the black hat with the arrow).

I'm unsure what to do next. I never actually selected a file.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The option in CWM mentions the sd card, but the GNex doesn't have one. However, the internal memory has some space allocated as an sd card. So this is definitely the option you want to select.

Now, what do you mean by the options went blank? Go back isn't even listed as an option?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I would just try restarting CWM. CWM can do that--it will hang, occasionally.

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Where to I put clockworkmod if this model doesn't support the sd card?? Any help asap super appreciated I haven't let her touch her new phone yet :)

you need to flash this version of the su package in recovery - 4.0.4 superuser

How to I do this? Not working tried the superboot install and it never boots up... Gave phone like 20 minutes... Recovery isn't sticking and I'm not sure where to put the clockworkmod.. also when it's "booting" from the superboot it says the driver's aren't installed properly which I know is BS... tips?

Last edited by a moderator:

jurassic98

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site

Help! My Galaxy Nexus sudden going through BootLoop (at Google logo).
I have new born baby photos and video that I need to pull them out to my PC.
This is original phone so I bootloader is still LOCKED.

I can not unlock bootloader because it will wipe all my photos.
Please help.
Here is what I have done..
1) Install the drivers (both for fastboot and ADB):
2) Download ClockworkMod 5.5.0.2 for Galaxy Nexus *GSM Edition* to C:\Android and rename it to recovery.img:
3) Download and extract the Android SDK so that I have fastboot.exe and adb.exe to C:\Android:
4) Open a command prompt in C:\Android
5) Turn off your phone and reboot into fastboot mode (vol up + vol down + power) and plug into PC
6) Type: fastboot boot recovery.img
Obviouly .. it complain that

c:\Android>fastboot boot recovery.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.680s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: Bootloader Locked - Use "fastboot oem unlock" to Unlock)
finished. total time: 0.690s
c:\Android>

So my bootloader is LOCKED ..what do I do? I do not want to unlock since it will wipe/lose all my photos/video.
Also, I can get turn on Android Debugger Mode on my Nexus because it is doing the bootloop. Therefore my pc won't regnize adb driver nor adb.exe will not works due to bootloop at Google Logo.

ALSO, I cleared my cashe from recovery mode & then selection,
wipe cache partition
Still same issue.

Yes ... I can get to bootloader and download mode. (combination vol+, vol- + power).

HELP ME..!
Thank you
:'(

ohcalcutta

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a stock jellybean rom and appear to have lost root after installing it. I'd like to switch over to the Clean AOSP rom posted in these forums but would like to back up my apps and everything with Titanium before I do so.

I attempted to root using su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip from androidsu.com, but Titanium is still telling me that I don't have root access after rebooting. Is there something I'm missing? I loaded the zip onto my phone, flashed CWM recovery and installed the zip, which it said was successful.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a stock jellybean rom and appear to have lost root after installing it. I'd like to switch over to the Clean AOSP rom posted in these forums but would like to back up my apps and everything with Titanium before I do so.

I attempted to root using su-bin-3.1.1-arm-signed.zip from androidsu.com, but Titanium is still telling me that I don't have root access after rebooting. Is there something I'm missing? I loaded the zip onto my phone, flashed CWM recovery and installed the zip, which it said was successful.

There's an updated zip. Look in my OTA thread in the general forum.

Regarding the links, I'll double check everything. I plan on redoing some stuff, just haven't had the time. For Windows users, I recommend following Jubakuba's guide or using Wug's Toolkit for the time being.

ohcalcutta

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
There's an updated zip. Look in my OTA thread in the general forum.

Regarding the links, I'll double check everything. I plan on redoing some stuff, just haven't had the time. For Windows users, I recommend following Jubakuba's guide or using Wug's Toolkit for the time being.
Got it sorted out, thank you! Now to figure out how to use this Titanium backup for the first time.. UI seems like a bit of a nightmare. Is it even worth it if I don't have a ton of apps installed?

ohcalcutta

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you read Don't Panic?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
I did. Only issue I'm seeing now is after I've backed everything up in TiBu, it's not showing up in Explorer on my PC to copy over. TitaniumBackup folder is empty and update.zip is not showing up in /sdcard/ root. I refreshed in Windows, unplugged the phone and plugged it back in, no go for both.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I did. Only issue I'm seeing now is after I've backed everything up in TiBu, it's not showing up in Explorer on my PC to copy over. TitaniumBackup folder is empty and update.zip is not showing up in /sdcard/ root. I refreshed in Windows, unplugged the phone and plugged it back in, no go for both.

Can you find it by using a File Manager/Explorer on your phone?