[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus

72Monkeys

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
stupid question/situation, but I'm trying to unroot, but after opening the bootloader and going on to the next step I get a reply that "no such file or directory" as follows.

monkey-MacBook-Pro:~ monkey$ ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/adb reboot bootloader
monkey-MacBook-Pro:~ monkey$ ./adb reboot bootloader
-bash: ./adb: No such file or directory

I have all the "unroot" files in the original adb-fastboot folder from the beginning of the post...I have no clue, please help! Thanks! (does this have anything to do with CWM recovery?)

Last edited:

72Monkeys

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
stupid question/situation, but I'm trying to unroot, but after opening the bootloader and going on to the next step I get a reply that "no such file or directory" as follows.

monkey-MacBook-Pro:~ monkey$ ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/adb reboot bootloader
monkey-MacBook-Pro:~ monkey$ ./adb reboot bootloader
-bash: ./adb: No such file or directory

I have all the "unroot" files in the original adb-fastboot folder from the beginning of the post...I have no clue, please help! Thanks! (does this have anything to do with CWM recovery?)

I figured it out...new to Macs so it was a bit confusing for me. If anyone has this issue step 3 should read as follows when using a mac

3) Open a terminal and use the following commands:

cd Desktop/adb-fastboot/

the entire process should read as follows (hitting enter and waiting for the step to process before entering the next command)

cd Desktop/adb-fastboot/
./adb reboot bootloader
./fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-toro-primekk15.img
./fastboot reboot-bootloader
./fastboot flash radio radio-toro-i515.ek02.img
./fastboot flash radio-cdma radio-cdma-toro-i515.ek05.img
./fastboot -w update image-mysid-icl53f.zip
./fastboot oem lock

hope this helps someone as clueless as I was! :D

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I haven't read all of the pages so I apologize if this has been asked. Do all the methods on the first post still apply on how to root?

Is there a guide somewhere that will tell me what to do before I root my phone? It will wipe everything before rooting right? Or does it wipe it after?

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
enter this command and see if it recognizes your phone =
Code:
./adb devices

also, make sure you have usb debugging checked on your phone in settings>dev options.

you could also try a different usb cord or port or both.

AHHHHH after a lot of work it doesn't recognize my phone. It did before! HELP! This is frustrating.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
AHHHHH after a lot of work it doesn't recognize my phone. It did before! HELP! This is frustrating.

Put the phone in boot loader mode with USB debugging on and then open terminal.
Enter these commands
cd desktop
cd adb-fastboot
./adb devices

Let me know if that brings up your phone, it will be a string of numbers

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Put the phone in boot loader mode with USB debugging on and then open terminal.
Enter these commands
cd desktop
cd adb-fastboot
./adb devices

Let me know if that brings up your phone, it will be a string of numbers

I had to put myself to bed. Sorry for being whiney. My bootloader is unlocked but I can't root.
Ok so this is what it says after loading in bootloader w/USB debugging on (I just put asterisks where my last name is):

cd desktop
cd adb-fastboot
./adb devicesLast login: Sat Jun 9 05:40:34 on ttys000
MacBookPro-001FF35243E3-217:~ kristin******$ cd desktop
MacBookPro-001FF35243E3-217:desktop kristin******$ cd adb-fastboot
MacBookPro-001FF35243E3-217:adb-fastboot kristin******$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached

Thanks for your help!

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I'm at the google screen waiting for my phone to root....progress! Hopefully it doesn't stay stuck here.

Edit: Rooted! My phone got stuck on the Google screen for about 15 min so I pulled the battery and I've got superuser. Awesome. Thanks for this thread

Edit: Nevermind. Still having problems.

Edit again! Got it...finally.

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I'm at the google screen waiting for my phone to root....progress! Hopefully it doesn't stay stuck here.

Edit: Rooted! My phone got stuck on the Google screen for about 15 min so I pulled the battery and I've got superuser. Awesome. Thanks for this thread

Edit: Nevermind. Still having problems.

Edit again! Got it...finally.

Glad you got it going. Sorry I was really busy all day.

Any questions you know where to find us :)

Reactions: Keekers11

joeweav

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Awesome guide! thank you so much! this was especially easy for a noob like myself (just left the iOS brigade). Is it normal for the phone to boot up as if it were it's first time booting (i.e. all my settings and apps gone?) granted google is restoring them as I type this but just wanted to double check.

Also, now that I'm unlocked,rooted what do i do now? haha

What's all out there for a rooted phone? I know I'd like to download a free tether app.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Awesome tutorial! this was perfect for a noob like me (just left the iOS brigade).
I did lose all my setting and apps when it rebooted though. is that normal? google is restoring them though.

Also now that I'm rooted what do i do next? haha

I'd like to install a free tethering app. What else is out there for a rooted nexus?

read cyberwarrior's guide that's stickied - that will get you thru custom recovery (clockwork mod) - making backups (nandroid backups) - and how to backup your apps (titanium backup) - after that, flash some roms (aokp, gummynex, bugless beast, paranoid android, cm9 - these are good places to start - see what you like feature wise) - give different kernels a try out (franco's, imo's leankernel, peanutbuttajelly time, etc etc etc) - themes ... mods ...

btw most of those roms have native tethering .. some roms come with specific apps or features that others dont have ... and so forth.

another good read is dmmarck's don't panic guide - that will give you the long and the short of what root can offer you. cw's guide is more on the instructions - i'll just reiterate, learn how to use clockwork mod recovery and make nandroid backups. it'll save you time and near-heart attacks when/if anything goes awry.

gl

Reactions: joeweav

calvingarner

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Since I am behind the times here, I guess this Mac method should work with re-rooting my phone, since I apparently lost it when I flashed the 4.0.4 file from Google?

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
yeah replace the old superuser zip with the su that works with 404:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25213603/su-latest-404.zip

that should do the trick

btw sorry i didnt see your post sooner.

So, what should I do next, with this I mean? I have this latest 404 on my desktop of my Mac. My Nexus does not currently allow Superuser either although it is unlocked. When I boot, it hangs at the Google screen until I pull the battery. Then it boots, but in a still rooted stage.
Thanks!

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, duh... I got it. I copied the zip to internal, then recovery mode, then install zip from SD and buddabing my SuperUser is working great.
Thanks!

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
sorry i didnt see this ^^ till just now. that's right tho.
I'll ask titansjonne (op) to update the file in the original post to contain the latest su package, if possible.
otherwise maybe i'll write up a root for 404 thread since it seems to come up quite a bit.

glad you got it working!!

anon(288235)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
you renamed the recovery file "recovery.img" correct?

if so, try it this way

./fastboot boot recovery.img

if not, rename the file "recovery.img" instead of recovery-5.8.whatever-toro.img
then do it like this:
./fastboot boot recovery recovery.img

thank you zero neck for the help you provided in this thread. rooted today (finally) and couldnt figure out why i didnt have root. its cuz i updated to 4.0.4 through the OTA update and superuser wasnt being recognized or something. anyways, i quote this message because I was also getting the error about not being able to flash the recovery and it was this command that actually got it working.

thanks again!

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
thank you zero neck for the help you provided in this thread. rooted today (finally) and couldnt figure out why i didnt have root. its cuz i updated to 4.0.4 through the OTA update and superuser wasnt being recognized or something. anyways, i quote this message because I was also getting the error about not being able to flash the recovery and it was this command that actually got it working.

thanks again!

Awesome. Np

:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21