[MAC METHOD] Root,Unroot & Unlock Your VZ Galaxy Nexus

BLAKKoctober

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Help Needed :-(

here is what i get when trying to unlock the bootloader.

OWNER-MacBook-Pro:~ kar$ ~/Desktop/adb-fastboot/adb reboot bootloader
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found
OWNER-MacBook-Pro:~ kar$

I have downloaded the Mac SDK.. started it up and downloaded the platform tools.. What am i missing!?

BLAKKoctober

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
No matter what it doesnt list my phone :-/

OWNER-MacBook-Pro:platform-tools kar$ cd /Users/kar/Desktop/android-sdk-macosx/platform-tools
OWNER-MacBook-Pro:platform-tools kar$ ./adb devices
adb server is out of date. killing...
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

haigdaniel

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
is this a rooting a permanent root? i know some of the instructions are not for a permanent root and you must flash the recovery every time you want to enter it?

mannw1977

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
is this a rooting a permanent root? i know some of the instructions are not for a permanent root and you must flash the recovery every time you want to enter it?

No its not. The thread says( how to root and unroot the nexus on mac.) :eek: You also flash recovery once but you can update it .

dnruas

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
So i'm freaking out right now. I rooted my galaxy nexus correctly but then decided to go back. I did exactly as instructed in the unroot portion. I took the boot.img, system.img, recovery.img, userdata.img and flashed them onto the galaxy nexus. The good thing, the phone is unrooted and the bootloader is locked, the bad news, when I restart the phone to use it, it goes through the google screen, then you see the android update picture (the android with this cube thing) then all of a sudden the phone goes to the android with a red triangle and exclamation mark. So far I've tried a lot of things and everything hasn't worked. When I try to flash something or try to unlock the bootloader again it says waiting for device. I need help. Also i'm running a mac. but do have a pc available to use. (and i've tried it on the pc, same results. Waiting for device. Correct usb drivers installed along with the android sdk.)

Chad H

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys,
Quick question. I followed the instructions to the T and have an unlocked and I "think" rooted phone. My only hiccup is when I go to use either wifi tether or light flow it pops up and says "superuser permission denied", although light flow still works which is weird I think. Can anybody help resolve this? Sorry if it's been covered, 9+ pages is a lot of material to scan through. Thanks for any help! :D

vistro

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
i had the same probelm of google logo being stuck for a long time during the rooting process. but after waiting for an hour, i pulled the battery out and when i rebooted it, it showed superuser ... ( so i guess it worked??)

ok. i seems like i see the superuser and setcpu and titanium back up seem to work.... i think but i can't seem to get my clockwork recovery to work. i install it from rom manager and everytime i go to recovery, it shows me the stock recovery. Did i not root the phone rgiht or what happen?

folofjc

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I got my phone about a week ago and when I first turned it off and then back on, I got an error about the sim card being locked. So I went to the Verizon website to get the code to unlock my SIM card. I did that and gave it a pin. Now, when I am following the instructions to unlock the bootloader, I can reboot and then the screen comes up asking for my pin. It used to come up with the LOCKED screen, until I unlocked my SIM card. So when I try the unlock command, it just says "< waiting for device >" and sits there until I kill the command. Not sure if it means it is already unlocked or if I messed it up by trying to unlock the SIM card with Verizon's code.

Thanks

egleye3

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi, newbie here.

After my attempt to root the nexus I got the google bootscreen loop. I waited for over an hour then pulled the battery, restarted, and got the looping bootscreen again, and again....

Tried to unroot but now I get a terminal error message:"device not found".

Any suggestions on what to try next? Right now I'm looking at a completely non-functioning phone and Its got me a bit shook up.

Thanks!
Mike

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi, newbie here.

After my attempt to root the nexus I got the google bootscreen loop. I waited for over an hour then pulled the battery, restarted, and got the looping bootscreen again, and again....

Tried to unroot but now I get a terminal error message:"device not found".

Any suggestions on what to try next? Right now I'm looking at a completely non-functioning phone and Its got me a bit shook up.

Thanks!
Mike

Hold the power + Volume down + Volume up buttons and hold until your phone goes into the fastboot. Once your on that screen. Begin the Unroot procedure.

LocationDudeNYC

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone about a week ago and when I first turned it off and then back on, I got an error about the sim card being locked. So I went to the Verizon website to get the code to unlock my SIM card. I did that and gave it a pin. Now, when I am following the instructions to unlock the bootloader, I can reboot and then the screen comes up asking for my pin. It used to come up with the LOCKED screen, until I unlocked my SIM card. So when I try the unlock command, it just says "< waiting for device >" and sits there until I kill the command. Not sure if it means it is already unlocked or if I messed it up by trying to unlock the SIM card with Verizon's code.

Thanks

So are you saying that by getting the unlock code from Verizon for your SIM card that unlocked your phone? Where on the website did you get your unlock code? Thanks!

Cbarry05

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I think i unlocked and rooted everything correctly but when i try to flash a rom i cant install from sd, there is no option. what am i missing here? i am using clockworkmod and its still not letting me

xoluvsdance12

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please help me? I successfully unlocked the bootloader, but I can't seem to root my phone. First I tried following the instructions in the first half of the video, using the method to get CWR. I thought I did it right, but when I went to boot into recovery, it had the android guy with a red triangle and a "!". I restarted my device and checked for root and realized I wasn't rooted. Then I tried doing it the way it says in the instructions. I followed them exactly as it says. I typed cd and dragged my folder from my desktop into terminal to change the directory. Then I typed what it said to type in but terminal keeps saying "no such file or directory". I've tried it multiple times but can't seem to get it to work. Can someone please help me? Are you supposed to do this while the phone is in the bootloader or turned on?

edit: nevermind I figured it out

Last edited:

tottenj

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Man, I tried over and over through bootcamp win7 and it kept hanging on "waiting for device" in fastboot mode. This was simple, easy and I really appreciate it! I've never ran adb through my mac until now and your instructions made it much less intimidating! Thank you!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670