Wallet/Red Exclamation Marks/Failed Reset

iastateboi

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Alright heres the deal...

Unlocked/rooted no problems. When i went to install wallet using CWM i accidently rebooted before edited packages.xml, now wallet cobstantly says force close. When i try to reboot into CWM i get dead droid with red exclamation mark. I did battery pull which reboots into ics no problems. Any idead how to fix this?

Elsewhere i saw try renaming file in root explorer /system "recovery-from-boot.p" by adding .bak but didnt work.

I got frustrated and decided to reinstall factory image and i can reboot fine into stock fastboot but when i try to flash it gives me an error in cmd prompt.

Help???? :(

Last edited:

DaPoets

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
yeah I'm not too happy yet w/ the method to get Google Wallet on here so I'm holding off for something more reliable.

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I kind of found a solution and posted it in aother thread. Heres what I wrote:

I was having the same problem when trying to flash google wallet. I was able to unlock bootloader and root with no problem before this. However, I could not access recovery mode from my bootloader screen. So what I did was loaded up the rom manager app and entered recovery mode through there. From here the red exclamation mark dissapeared. I was able to back up my phone and flash the google wallet zip. Everything was fine and I then restarted phone. Now I received a message that google wallet was force closing. I had read about this in other forums and had to go back into recovery mode and fix my permissions. Now the problem was, that I was getting the red exclamation mark when trying to access from rom manager AND from bootloader screen. I just reset my entire device and was able to get google wallet to work.

I tried to access recovery mode from boot loader screen just to see and I still receive red exclamation mark. Phone works perfectly but the red exclamation mark continues to haunt me. I have no idea why this is so.

Hope this helps! :)

Edit: It seems like a lot of people are having this same problem, but no one is really able to give answers as to why the red exclamation mark is popping up and how to get it to go away. For now, this is fine for me because the phone works fine. However, in the future when I want to flash custom Roms, I will be screwed if this isnt fixed :(

iastateboi

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Alright after some digging through XDA I found an idea that seems to have worked for the red exclamation mark problem when booting into recovery.

I had already renamed the stock recovery-from-root file, but I needed to REFLASH CWM. Tried it and it booted into CWM fine with no red exclamation marks. Going to try to fix the gWallet mistake to see if everything is fine when I get home from work. (Gotta love the graveyard shift :confused: )

I also found a different way to flash the factory image that was different from how I was doing it, so maybe everything is alright now. (We'll see when I soft-brick it haha)

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
lol I was trying to fix permissions from ROM Manager... Thanks!

Not a problem man. Glad to help out.

If you do find a way to get rid of the red exclamation mark in recovery mode could you please post link to XDA on here? Its like searching for a needle in a haystack on all these internet forums ever since the GN came out :)

iastateboi

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Not a problem man. Glad to help out.

If you do find a way to get rid of the red exclamation mark in recovery mode could you please post link to XDA on here? Its like searching for a needle in a haystack on all these internet forums ever since the GN came out :)

Even having found it once it feels the same trying to find it again, not easy at all. Essentially here is what I did.

I used root explorer (from android market) and went to /System where there is a file called "recovery-from-boot.p" This file tries to get your phone to use stock recovery, so to bypass it to use CWM you need to rename it (remember to change to Read/Write at the top of the screen or you will get an error) which I did by changing it to "1recovery-from-boot.p" You can additionally add .bak at the end or some people say delete it altogether (I'll leave that up to you.)

After I did that I had to reflash ClockWorkMod in ROM Manager and everything has been working since.

Good luck.

Reactions: Mac58

makewayhomer

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Even having found it once it feels the same trying to find it again, not easy at all. Essentially here is what I did.

I used root explorer (from android market) and went to /System where there is a file called "recovery-from-boot.p" This file tries to get your phone to use stock recovery, so to bypass it to use CWM you need to rename it (remember to change to Read/Write at the top of the screen or you will get an error) which I did by changing it to "1recovery-from-boot.p" You can additionally add .bak at the end or some people say delete it altogether (I'll leave that up to you.)

After I did that I had to reflash ClockWorkMod in ROM Manager and everything has been working since.

Good luck.

this is exactly what I did, and its working fine now

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Make sure u have rom manager, make sure u have cwmr INSTALLED. Even if it shows u do, install it again. Then reboot into recovery from cwr. I had the same issue. With gw, just uninstall it and reinstall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair