[Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy Nexus

farbster

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

I did this (got root explorer and changed the name) and it worked. When I rebooted I got an error message "unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped"

Any thoughts? I googled it and one place said it had to do with the camera and another said about Titanium Backup and the contacts.

I also got an error (?) when backing up - "no /sdcard/.android_secure found. skipping backup of applications on external storage

no sd-ext found. skipping backup of sd-ext"

The rest of the backup (from cwm) seemed fine. I would expect that there is no sdcard, but not sure what this means or what affect it has (or is it effect?)

Thanks!!!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I did this (got root explorer and changed the name) and it worked. When I rebooted I got an error message "unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped"

Any thoughts? I googled it and one place said it had to do with the camera and another said about Titanium Backup and the contacts.

I also got an error (?) when backing up - "no /sdcard/.android_secure found. skipping backup of applications on external storage

no sd-ext found. skipping backup of sd-ext"

The rest of the backup (from cwm) seemed fine. I would expect that there is no sdcard, but not sure what this means or what affect it has (or is it effect?)

Thanks!!!

Thanks!

The two messages about the sd card/extension are completely normal. As you mentioned.. it skips the backup because 1. There's no sd card and 2. Nandroids do not back up the sd card to begin with... so that's perfectly normal.

The message about the media process stopping... I would need to look up. Sometimes those type of messages pop up and then never come back. Something could have caused the app to crash. Its fine as long as you're not repeatedly getting that error and that everything is working. It could have been something that interfered with some type of media app as the phone was booting up. The process will force close and then re-open itself when its ready. Not a big deal and like I said... I wouldn't worry about it as long as its not happening every two seconds. Chances are one process was interfering with another one so it shut itself down and then restarted again when it was ready. I don't think it was contacts... it was most likely the sd card didn't read all of the files stored on it and it force closed. Everytime you boot the phone up... the phone reads/checks the sd card for new files and prepares itself for the phone.

Reactions: zero neck

farbster

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I was able to flash the latest Bugless beast. Thanks so much for your help!! Seems like the error message from above has resolved itself.

A couple of questions:

1) when using mybackuppro - do I need to back up data and apk, or will just data work?
2) i had so many contacts (i use xobni for my contacts and i believe it pulls the emails from every email - say all the parents on a email blast from their lacrosse leauge) and i got a message after setting up again that said "delete limit exceeded. There are 708 deleted items for Contacts, account xxx@gmail.com. What would you like to do? delete items/undo the deletes/do nothing for now. I keep hitting do nothing for now.

The setup took forever, mostly due to the contacts. Well over one hour. is this normal?

Finally, is there a toggle on BB for cdma/4g? I saw 2/3g, but not 4g

Thanks again for all your help!!!!!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I was able to flash the latest Bugless beast. Thanks so much for your help!! Seems like the error message from above has resolved itself.

A couple of questions:

1) when using mybackuppro - do I need to back up data and apk, or will just data work?
2) i had so many contacts (i use xobni for my contacts and i believe it pulls the emails from every email - say all the parents on a email blast from their lacrosse leauge) and i got a message after setting up again that said "delete limit exceeded. There are 708 deleted items for Contacts, account xxx@gmail.com. What would you like to do? delete items/undo the deletes/do nothing for now. I keep hitting do nothing for now.

The setup took forever, mostly due to the contacts. Well over one hour. is this normal?

Finally, is there a toggle on BB for cdma/4g? I saw 2/3g, but not 4g

Thanks again for all your help!!!!!
1. Yes you can choose just data. If you want to backup the actual app.. choose apk.
2. Don't backup contacts with MyBackup. Your contacts are automatically backed up through Google using your Gmail account. You're duplicating your contacts which is causing the phone to delete the first batch in order to restore the second batch which is causing the phone to crawl. I've made that mistake once.. unfortunately the easiest way around it is to wipe the phone and reflash the ROM.
3. Not sure about stock but there are custom ROMs that have the 3/4G toggle.

Reactions: zero neck

farbster

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I hope this isn't going too far off topic - but are there any settings on Bugless beast that will increase battery life in some spectacular fashion? Or is that more something for a different custom ROM? Any suggestions on others to try? I see a lot of people talking about gummy...

Android central and the folks here are so great. Makes me think I should short Blackberry stock in a big way!

vinzky

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

when restoring rom do i need to wipe/factory reset or can i just wipe cache/davlic? thanks!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

when restoring rom do i need to wipe/factory reset or can i just wipe cache/davlic? thanks!

You really don't have to wipe anything. You can just flash your nandroid backup.. I sometimes do a full wipe.. but I'm just being over cautious.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

So I can't find "recovery-from-boot.p" to rename it. Yet, there are no problems. CWM seems to stick, I can get into it from RM and from the Bootloader.

Nonissue?

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Install ROMs/Kernels/Themes/Mods with ROM Manager

How long should the wipe data/factory reset step take? I'm going to flash a new rom for the first time and I booted into recovery and selected this option. It's been sitting at the Recovery logo (Top hat with a yellow circular arrow) for about 15 minutes. Not sure if it's doing it or if it's stuck.

voicelady

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site

Hello,

I am new to everything and I tried to flash a modaco rom on my 4.0.4 ICS verizon and it just kept looping the animation screen. So I pulled the battery and restored to stock. I tried again and it did the same thing, so I am trying to restore to stock and now it says that there is an error when backing up data. I did the wipe and restore and the dalvick wipe. I tried 3 times with 3 different restore points. I would love to use my phone again ASAP:0 Thanks

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Are you using the GSM version of the phone or the CDMA/LTE (Verizon) version of the phone? For Verizon you don't want Modaca builds...you need to use Toro.

I'm a little confused when you say that you are stuck trying to restore while backing up data. Do you have a nandroid backup of your stock ROM?

Dracolan

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I am sure this has been asked before and if so, if you could just point me to the right post/page with the answer. I was wondering how to go back to stock recovery as to receive the OTA update when it hits?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Flashing your Nexus back to stock to receive updates

[HOW TO] Flash stock Recovery to VZW Galaxy Nexus before accepting an OTA update.

This assumes that you:
- have a factory image installed on your VZW Galaxy Nexus and have replaced recovery with ClockworkMod Recovery.
- you have ADB setup corectly: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/How...id_SDK#Windows

1. Download the Android 4.0.2 factory images to your PC from Google:https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aos...y-65895fa8.tgz
*We are interested in the stock recovery image named recovery.img.

2. Unzip the file and its contents into your SDK/Tools folder (wherever your adb.exe and fastboot.exe files are).
*Make sure they are not in their own folder, but have all been extracted to Tools.

3. From within the Tools folder, open a command prompt (SHIFT + right click and select ?open command prompt here?).

4. Type the following commands, allowing each to finish before moving onto the next:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

fastboot reboot bootloader

5. Once you Reboot into the bootloader scroll down (volume keys) and select "Recovery mode" (power button).

6. You should now see the default recovery not Clockworkmod recovery.
7. Now you can install an OTA and it should install fine.

An easier solution would be to flash a stock rooted 4.0.4 ROM .... why go through all the trouble to restore to stock when the awesome devs in the community will have a stock, rooted (usually debloated) version out ...

There are a few 4.0.4 ROMs already out:
IMM30B 4.0.4 | Stock, rooted, deodexed, busybox, insecure boot + mods zips - RootzWiki
[ROM][V2.0] TeeROM: 4.04 Plus Moar! [3/24] - RootzWiki

Reactions: Dracolan

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

^ Javroch's Clean AOSP Rom was also updated to 4.04 recently. That's a nice, close to stock (with some tweaks but minimally) option. Gets my stamp of approval.

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

buckie bo

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site

Great guide...very easy to follow and I surely will refer to it often.

Have a small issue however. I followed the guide to install a rom on my cdma nexus. The rom was pete_toro_ota_2012-04-09. I put it on the nexus and followed instructions to a T...created backup with Rom manager...etc.

The install went fine until it rebooted to "normal mode" It has stayed on the boot animation screen for well over 30 mins. I removed the battery, booted back into recovery and I am restoring the backup I made because I cant be "down" on the phone for long.

Any idea why this happened or what I might have done to cause it to do this?

NotDiabl0

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

I have never done anything to this phone( Rom, root, flash,etc.) I finally decided i wanted to put 4.04 ota on this device. I downloaded the clockwork rom manager, and did the flash clockwork mod recovery, but everytime i do it i get an error that says an error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!
Any help?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I have never done anything to this phone( Rom, root, flash,etc.) I finally decided i wanted to put 4.04 ota on this device. I downloaded the clockwork rom manager, and did the flash clockwork mod recovery, but everytime i do it i get an error that says an error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!
Any help?

You need to be rooted to use Rom Manager. Thats probably the problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08