Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

NotDiabl0

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

Does rooting completely wipe my phone? Im trying to make a backup and save everything because ive been running this phone since the day it came out, just havent tried customizing it yet.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Does rooting completely wipe my phone? Im trying to make a backup and save everything because ive been running this phone since the day it came out, just havent tried customizing it yet.

Rooting doesn't, but unlocking the bootloader wipes everything including the SDcard.

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Rooting won't but unlocking the bootloader will... Wugs toolkit guide will back everything up for you so you don't lose anything.

Reactions: NotDiabl0

NotDiabl0

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Appreciate the help, i take it unlocking the bootloader comes after you back it up...lol

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Appreciate the help, i take it unlocking the bootloader comes after you back it up...lol

lol yes. Like CW said, Wug's toolkit will backup everything for you. I also like to backup stuff manually (photos, downloads, etc.) just in case.

Enjoy your unlocked/rooted Nexus, like God and Andy Rubin intended it to be :).

NotDiabl0

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Cyber Warrior, is your guide that you posted above just for bootloading? Or is there a seperate Rooting guide, im downloading the Wug toolkit right now.

NotDiabl0

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

I guess im confused by the guides doing the bootloader first and then rooting.. unless im completely missing the point and i have to bootload before i root lol.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I guess im confused by the guides doing the bootloader first and then rooting.. unless im completely missing the point and i have to bootload before i root lol.

Correct. You unlock first, then you root.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Yes... bootloader needs to be unlocked before the phone can be rooted.

Unlocking the bootloader wipes thee entire phone including your internal storage (sd card). The rooting does not wipe anything.. its just a superuser file that gets flashed to the phone. I never used Wugs method (I used my guide) but it supposedly backs up your entire phone before unlocking the bootloader. I would plug your phone into a computer and back everything up also though just in case.

NotDiabl0

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Okay, yah i dont want to lose anything. Now i just need to figure out how to back it up on my computer first....

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Okay, yah i dont want to lose anything. Now i just need to figure out how to back it up on my computer first....

If you're not using Wugs guide.. I'd recommend downloading MyBackup Pro from the app store.. backs up call logs, messages, bookmarks, etc.

And for your sd card... go into the phones settings.. development.. turn on usb debugging.. connect phone to computer with usb cord that came with the phone.. go to the phone disc drive (folder) on your computer (My Computer) and copy and paste the folder to somewhere on your computer. When you're done hacking the phone.. move the files back onto the phone.

Reactions: NotDiabl0

NotDiabl0

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

None of the files that are on the Nexus "Hard drive" would effect anything if i decided to bootload and root. As in the files that are all on the sd card are for apps or music or contacts and would have no effects on the actual os system on the phone.

GNex Girl

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site

I unlocked and rooted using this method. Now I want to unroot. How do I do it? Thanks!!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

I unlocked and rooted using this method. Now I want to unroot. How do I do it? Thanks!!

This guide isn't his unlocking/rooting guide.

This is ==> http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ock-bootloader-root-verizon-galaxy-nexus.html

Wug's Toolkit, also advisable ==> http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...y-nexus-root-toolkit-v1-3-updated-1-22-a.html

For your current dilemma, I suggest getting Wug's and flashing stock recovery. If you want to not go through all of those steps, simply manually install the OTA.

Reactions: zero neck

gary keels

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

When i try to flash clockworkmod recovery a popup appears that says " An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!" Any suggestions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois