[Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy Nexus

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Guide] How To Backup, Restore & Install ROMs on The Galaxy N

When i try to flash clockworkmod recovery a popup appears that says " An error occured while attempting to run privileged commands!" Any suggestions?

Do you have the superuser app in your app drawer? Check to see if there are any updates available for it in the Play Store. Also try rebooting your phone... and try using another app that requires root privileges like Titanium Backup and see what happens. You can also try uninstalling ROM Manager and reinstalling it... then try to flash CWM Recovery again.

gary keels

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

Do you have the superuser app in your app drawer? Check to see if there are any updates available for it in the Play Store. Also try rebooting your phone... and try using another app that requires root privileges like Titanium Backup and see what happens. You can also try uninstalling ROM Manager and reinstalling it... then try to flash CWM Recovery again.

I have superuser in the app drawer. I tried titanium backup and it says that it could not acquire root privileges. I used your unlock bootloader and root guide but maybe i did something wrong.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

I have superuser in the app drawer. I tried titanium backup and it says that it could not acquire root privileges. I used your unlock bootloader and root guide but maybe i did something wrong.

I need to update that guide to include the instructions for updating the su.zip due to the change from the 4.0.4 update.

Here's the new su.zip if you know how to push it through ADB... otherwise the easiest thing to do right now is to use Wug Fresh's toolkit that's stickied on top of the forum page.

I'll update the other guide tonight to reflect the changes from the 4.0.4 update.

Reactions: gary keels

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for this guide! I am looking forward to getting started...as soon as I figure out where to start :D

I know that everything is in steps but another member's experience confused me a little. I want to make sure I have everything backed up, especially because the Nexus doesn't have a SD card.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for this guide! I am looking forward to getting started...as soon as I figure out where to start :D

I know that everything is in steps but another member's experience confused me a little. I want to make sure I have everything backed up, especially because the Nexus doesn't have a SD card.

Yea... don't worry about that too much. The only time that's an issue is when the phone (boot loader) is first unlocked.. erases everything. Once you're unlocked and rooted everything is smooth sailing as far as flashing different ROMs. Just keep making nandroid backups before you mess with anything and you'll be fine.

Keekers11

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

When I try to Flash ClockwordMod Recovery it says, "An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!" :( That doesn't sound good. Help?

Phurioso

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
When you find the ROM you want, do you have to download it on your computer or is it fine to download it on my nexus? Apologies for the newbness, I'm new to this :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
When you find the ROM you want, do you have to download it on your computer or is it fine to download it on my nexus? Apologies for the newbness, I'm new to this :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Either way is fine. I usually download ROMs directly to my phone. Just be sure to verify the md5 checksum to make sure your download is good before flashing.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Download Hash Droid from the Store to calculate the md5 checksum for the file you download. Make sure it matches the value posted on the ROM download page.

If you have Root Explorer, you can also long press on the file name and select properties to get the md5 checksum.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: zero neck

Phurioso

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site

This community is too good...a big thanks to all of you smart fellows for the help

fmmi

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Hello all,

I just unlocked and rooted my verizon Galaxy Nexus that was running 4.0.4 and of course had to reinstall all my apps. Everything is now back to where it was before the root and I made a backup using CWM. I would now like to try some custom ROMs, starting with AOKP Build 39. I have already downloaded and put it on my phone, and was going to go to the CWM recovery screen to install.

When I would do this with my Touchpad, I would wipe the Davik cache and the 'regular' cache, but in that case I was just updating from one CyanogenMod 9 build to another. Now, I am going to go from the Verizon ROM to AOKP. Do I need to do a full factory reset? Or will clearing the above-mentioned caches be enough? I would hate to have to reload all my apps again from scratch...

I do have ROM Manager PRO and Titanium Backup PRO available to use as well.

Thanks.

Frank
Michigan

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I just unlocked and rooted my verizon Galaxy Nexus that was running 4.0.4 and of course had to reinstall all my apps. Everything is now back to where it was before the root and I made a backup using CWM. I would now like to try some custom ROMs, starting with AOKP Build 39. I have already downloaded and put it on my phone, and was going to go to the CWM recovery screen to install.

When I would do this with my Touchpad, I would wipe the Davik cache and the 'regular' cache, but in that case I was just updating from one CyanogenMod 9 build to another. Now, I am going to go from the Verizon ROM to AOKP. Do I need to do a full factory reset? Or will clearing the above-mentioned caches be enough? I would hate to have to reload all my apps again from scratch...

I do have ROM Manager PRO and Titanium Backup PRO available to use as well.

Thanks.

Frank
Michigan

Yes, it is advisable to do a full wipe going from one rom to a completely different one.

Also, build 40 is out. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

fmmi

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it is advisable to do a full wipe going from one rom to a completely different one.

Arrrggghhh. I took me the better part of a day to restore everything back after the unlock and root - kept finding changes I forgot to make / preferences that needed tweaking / etc.

Maybe I am going to wait a few days before having to do it all over :-(

And thanks for the info on build 40 being ready....

Frank

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Arrrggghhh. I took me the better part of a day to restore everything back after the unlock and root - kept finding changes I forgot to make / preferences that needed tweaking / etc.

Frank

Now that you're rooted you can use apps like Titanium Backup or MyBackup for Root Users..

For AOKP
-wipe data
-wipe cache
-wipe dalvik
-install zip from sd card (AOKP ROM)
-install zip from sd card (Gapps/Google Apps)
-reboot phone
-done.. restore your apps, etc...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Frank

Frank:

There are a variety of tools to simplify the restore process. They are using a custom launcher (and thus saving your homescreen(s) setup and icons), Titanium Backup (which allows you to restore individual app data, but do not restore system data!), the SMS backup app (which restores your texts), and AOKP backup app (which lets you save your AOKP configuration).

Some are free, some are not, but all are helpful in easing this process.

fmmi

May 8, 2012
Visit site

Oh -- forgot to ask. As I read a number of threads, there were references to loading a "radio fix" zip. Is this not built into the AOKP ROM?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Oh -- forgot to ask. As I read a number of threads, there were references to loading a "radio fix" zip. Is this not built into the AOKP ROM?

Radio fix? I haven't seen one. I do know you can flash different radio packages. Check out zero neck's thread in this forum--he has a bunch of different radio packages with instructions on how to install them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey