Is it worth it to root?

makewayhomer

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooting just for apps really, like wireless tether, ad free, etc.

I got tired of ROM's that *nearly* worked, or worked great except for some random stuff. I want the smoothest experience possible, so I'm going with stock ICS, but will root for some other access to stuff

dragon718

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Only reason I would like to root, is to get rid of the search bar. Didn't think it would bother as much as it does and I don't wanna put ADW launcher or Go Launcher on it. Haven't decided if the search bar is enough reason for me to try rooting for the first time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

threepio

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
i might go a week before i root mine. Gotta go pick it up at FedEx tonight after work. No one was home to sign for it when they tried to deliver

AlpineM3#AC

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Root is an absolute must if you really want to tap into the realm of what this phone was really meant to do and why the Nexus line has always been classified as a "Developer's Phone". This is my first Nexus and loving it....I couldn't see myself ever leaving HTC and the Sense UI, but this phone is pretty remarkable (not too many bugs for it to be a deal breaker).

Besides, Unlocking and root doesn't require you to flash a custom ROM so staying stock with all the benefits of root are at your disposal.

One thing I have noticed is that for some reason Light Flow isn't playing nice after root.....for obvious reasons I would say this is rubbish to anybody posting such a problem, but it is as if the notifications are all out of whack. Anybody experience this after root?

makewayhomer

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
One thing I have noticed is that for some reason Light Flow isn't playing nice after root.....for obvious reasons I would say this is rubbish to anybody posting such a problem, but it is as if the notifications are all out of whack. Anybody experience this after root?

yes, I and others noticed. you can deny it SU privileges in the Superuser app.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
First of all I really appreciated the guide Cyber Warrior posted. Being new to this rooting and unlocking stuff, that was an easy guide.

To the original question - is it worth it to root? -- my answer is I have no idea so far but I'm leaning towards saying not really....

I installed Google Wallet, but apparently that didn't even require the unlock and root. As for other apps - I haven't really found any to load that require the unlocked and rooted thing, but I'm not even sure where to look.

So far the only thing that I've seen that makes it worth it is wifi tethering, and the multiple threads on here have provided a lot of different opinions about the best apps and how safe it is. I'm starting to think I just want to play it safe and play within the rules - I'm grandfathered into unlimited data and I feel like Verizon has been good to me on that front.

To be completely honest, I'm still not exactly sure what the "root" part of all of this entails. My phone seems essentially the same after going through this. Someone earlier claimed to have performance issues after rooting - I swear I have had some occasional lag as well that I hadn't had before doing this but that could all be in my head.

I guess there will be a lot more stuff to come out in the coming weeks and I may find that it was well worth it. Right now I'm not really crazy about this - I'm still paranoid about it (thinking I'll probably screw something up) and I haven't seen any tangible benefits.

Again, this is all coming from someone who is new to this and still figuring it out. I may come to love this rooting stuff, if I ever figure out what it means.

WolfSkull

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I would at least unlock the bootloader because you lose everything once you unlock it.. so i unlocked it right out of the box.. then i had gone that far so i went ahead and rooted and put on the cwm recovery.. i just couldnt stop flashing..

But yeah.. i would go ahead and at least unlock the bootloader if theres any chance at all that you will want to flash something in the future.. its fairly easy too.. hope this helps!

Definitely! I've never done any rooting, but I unlocked it as soon as the Fedex guy handed it to me. Spent 2 hours getting my computer set up and an hour to unlock. (too that long probably because I'm new)

Unlock it right away because there is no downside and it is so easy I figured it out.:D

WolfSkull

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm grandfathered into unlimited data and I feel like Verizon has been good to me on that front.

Off topic, I know, but.... I looked at the fine print when I did my upgrade. (I think this maybe common knowledge but..) Verizon will slow down your data. They don't specify at what limit and by how much, but they still have the option.

Still nice to not worry bout a cap though.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Off topic, I know, but.... I looked at the fine print when I did my upgrade. (I think this maybe common knowledge but..) Verizon will slow down your data. They don't specify at what limit and by how much, but they still have the option.

Still nice to not worry bout a cap though.

Well, Verizon could also end "unlimited data" at any time I suppose. At some point I'm sure they will.

I may end up installing a wifi thether app at some point (if I stay rooted), but I'll probably only use it in rare situations if at all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci