Restore a Titanium Backup on GNex

J T M

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully i can explain this without causing people's heads to explode. In a nutshell, I'd like to restore some apps+data via Titanium Backup onto my Nexus. The backup was originally made on my Thunderbolt. The problem is that 1) I cannot get TB on my Nexus to recognize the backup that i made on the Tbolt and subsequently transferred to the Nexus; and 2) Is this even possible or recommended to do?

I've tried searching in various places online, and i'm receiving conflicting information. Some people say that restoring an apps+data backup from one device onto a different one is a bad idea, while some say it's not a problem at all. If it's not a bad thing to do, that solves one issue. My other issue has to do with why TB is not recognizing the backup that is currently residing on my Nexus.

Any and all help is much appreciated, and thanks in advance.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
It should be possible, but recommended is another story (and it's really too bad you're using TB to restore your TB TB, hopefully you're not sick because it may be TB!).

As for seeing your backup, make sure it's in /sdcard/TitaniumBackup. My X backup was visible pretty easily that way (I restored what I needed, renamed it TitaniumBackup-DroidX, and then made a backup of my GN).

However, unless your TBolt was running ICS and was really a Galaxy Nexus in disguise many of the things you'll be restoring may not work right or may not be configured properly for a GN. Especially if you're restoring what should be a system app. I used this as an excuse to clean house; I installed stuff directly from the Market, only restored apps that aren't available (stupid CBS killing off the Tricorder app...), and only restored the config to apps that are difficult to configure (ConnectBot, Google Authenticator, saved games). Doing this en masse increases the risk that an app you think you restored is actually not working correctly.

Reactions: J T M

J T M

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
The only things i'm interested in restoring are a few soundboard apps that are no longer available in the Market (hello, Metroid!), and some games; no system apps or anything of that nature.

If restoring these from TB isn't recommended, can i just copy APKs from the Tbolt and install them on my Nexus? I realize this wouldn't preserve the game data, but i can live with that. The soundboards are more important than the games, to be perfectly honest.

Last edited:

stillblood#WN

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You can just take the backup file and copy it to your comp. Then paste to your gnex.
Open ti backup hit batch / restore user apps select apps wanted / run batch

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Selectively restoring from backup (especially if there is no other option) should be fine in most cases, especially if you do it one at a time and try out the program after you restore. I've only had a few apps that didn't load at all under ICS but I'm sure there will be an update eventually.

Restoring the entire backup all at once is probably asking for trouble.

One more quick mention, for most games I ended up installing from the market and then using TB to restore the data only. I don't know that it makes much difference, but it seems like a more prudent choice than to restore app+data.

J T M

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that TB doesn't recognize the backup that i copied to my Nexus. I know it's on there, because you can see it when you use Astro or Root Explorer. I'd like to restore the game data if i could, since i can always get the games themselves from the Market, but i can't get TB to see the backup. :(

I was able to pull the soundboard APKs from the Thunderbolt and install them on the Nexus with no difficulty, which was good.

Twitter

oh that's a link btw lol ^

Sorry...the link wasn't working at first for whatever reason. After seeing it, however, i don't know what exactly all of that stuff means. I can navigate to /system/xbin, but that's where it ends for me. Sorry.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae