voided warranty???

shugmeat

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, a friend of mine just talked to me. He got a GNex, and is the kind of guy who roots and roms right away. He did this before he got the 4.0.2 update and didn't think anything about it. Verizon sent him a letter saying that now since his phone isn't running stock software that his warranty is void. He said he saw on the internet that they can tell if he is using rom'd software through the update and the sim card. Anyone else heard of this?

Sent from my GNizzle using Tapatizzle

Hondo_Lane

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, a friend of mine just talked to me. He got a GNex, and is the kind of guy who roots and roms right away. He did this before he got the 4.0.2 update and didn't think anything about it. Verizon sent him a letter saying that now since his phone isn't running stock software that his warranty is void. He said he saw on the internet that they can tell if he is using rom'd software through the update and the sim card. Anyone else heard of this?

Sent from my GNizzle using Tapatizzle

Has many characteristics of a typical internet hoax. So yes, please post a scan of that letter asap...

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
There are hundreds of thousands of rooted users of this phone (I just made that statistic up).

Apparently, only one has gotten this letter. This friend of yours is pulling your leg.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Like most of these garbage threads (somebody getting billed thousands for using wifi tether), it's always a story about a friend...never first hand info with verifiable proof. If you're scared to root, don't do it.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Hoax or not, why do they care? Why can I buy a computer, send it back to the manufacture and have them remove Windows and issue me a refund for the license and not void the warranty but If I do the same with my phone they claim it voids the warranty? I would expect that if it's a hardware failure, it should still be warranted. BS.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
LoL, there isn't a letter or it would have been attached in the OP .Better luck next time hahaha

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If he did get a letter have him unroot and take the device and letter into Verizon and problem is solved. I have been rooting my phones since the OG Droid and have never had any issues with Verizon.

reSpecMe

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt they can can void your warranty without physically looking at the phone and confirming it is not running at stock os. I had a Thunderbolt rooted and romed since its initial release and have never recieved this letter of voided warranty

xsfspd

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah this is BS. However for anyone THAT worried about warranty and bricking the phone just get the extra insurance. If you brick it and are over your head just smash the screen and pay the $50 and get a new one and DON'T try to root ever again LOL =)

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
He found the letter!
a6f823fb-d954-788e.jpg

via Galaxy Nexus