What are the advantages of rooted phones and custom ROM's ???

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
This has been answered quite a few times if you were to search but a quick breakdown...

- Use of backup and restore tools like Titanium/MyBackUp Root to back up apps/data/settings on your device.
- Use of screen capture apps.
- Wireless Tethering options (some devices require the ROM to have hotspot hack added)
- Access to root level system files (areas of your device that Google/manufactures don't want to you play with. Of course this is where all the fun is..)
- Run custom ROMs, kernels, modified apps, themes and more...
- Misc. applications that all various tweaks to your device that stock won't allow.

There are more perks to rooting but I will let you do a little searching on your own.

Custom ROMS, kernels, themes, mods in a few words can be close to stock OS and completely different depending on how heavily they have been customized. Most users that try rooting their device and usually never go back after they see the world that opens up to them. Basically if your the type like likes to play outside the box then rooting maybe for you.

YMMV....

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Its like crack. Lots of people are scared, then there are those that have to flash daily, or even hourly

Lol yes it is like crack... first your afraid to do it, then you dabble and you kind of like it and you wouldn't mind doing more to see what else you can get out of it... then eventually you start looking for reasons to keep flashing stuff and might even blow off work or other things to stay home and flash stuff on your phone........... just like crack :)

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Lol yes it is like crack... first your afraid to do it, then you dabble and you kind of like it and you wouldn't mind doing more to see what else you can get out of it... then eventually you start looking for reasons to keep flashing stuff and might even blow off work or other things to stay home and flash stuff on your phone........... just like crack :)

That there made me lmao and pretty much described me to a t.

Owning this particular phone with the massive amount of stuff to flash after only a couple weeks makes me a happy camper.

To the op, rooting and custom roms will also make YOU a happy camper!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Owning this particular phone with the massive amount of stuff to flash after only a couple weeks makes me a happy camper.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Lol for real! I only dabbled in roms until I discovered how much awesomeness is in the theme section at RootzWiki.. Can't stop flashing new stuff :) love this phone

Sent from my Th3orized Galaxy Nexus

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
For me, it's all about being able to back everything up using Titanium and being able to tether for free.

ROMs just give the option to have more control over how your phone functions and stay well ahead of the carrier released upgrades. Google provides the upgrades for the Nexus, but Verizon still has to approve of them before they are released to the public. Perfect example is how we've had access to 4.0.3 for a week or more via the custom ROMs, but it still has not been made available to the general public.

mozy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

I can see how it could be addictive, but aren't there diminishing returns from frequent flashing relative to the opportunity cost of other things you could be doing? I mean how much better can your get your phone and what can that get you in life? These are the question I ask myself. I'm not judging how others spend there time, to each their own. There is probably more value to frequent flashing if you are a programmer and this enhances your knowledge. I want to flash to improve my phone, but I don't think I want to be doing it all the time, I have other important things to do.

BTW - " I get it" I can be pretty obsessive about things and if I'm not careful I end up spending way too much time on something non essential that's why I'm asking my self these questions.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Diminishing returns relative to opportunity costs? Are you an econ major? For those that flash like crack there is not much we could be doing that is "better" unless it involves a new way to flash or new stuff to flash. Sometimes the search for new crack is half the fun. Don't worry so much about what others might think of your obsession, you'll know when its to much.

Frequent flashing is not for just programmers. There is NO programming with flashing. As an example I just flashed aokp build 12 to gain a mod that removes the clock from notification bar. I started the download at home and went to the mall with my gf to shop. After 45 minutes it was done downloading and I flashed it in JCPenny. I didn't wipe, just dirty flashed it and profit with no programming.

You don't need to spend a lot of time doing it, just move it into the "background" of your life. Constant multitasking, especially if you have a girlfriend/wife.

Reactions: AZDROIDX

mozy

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Diminishing returns relative to opportunity costs? Are you an econ major? For those that flash like crack there is not much we could be doing that is "better" unless it involves a new way to flash or new stuff to flash. Sometimes the search for new crack is half the fun. Don't worry so much about what others might think of your obsession, you'll know when its to much.

Frequent flashing is not for just programmers. There is NO programming with flashing. As an example I just flashed aokp build 12 to gain a mod that removes the clock from notification bar. I started the download at home and went to the mall with my gf to shop. After 45 minutes it was done downloading and I flashed it in JCPenny. I didn't wipe, just dirty flashed it and profit with no programming.

You don't need to spend a lot of time doing it, just move it into the "background" of your life. Constant multitasking, especially if you have a girlfriend/wife.

I'm not concerned what others think nor am I an econ major, more concerned about spending time on something that is not a top priority. I think your right that we all find the right balance through experience.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm not concerned what others think nor am I an econ major, more concerned about spending time on something that is not a top priority. I think your right that we all find the right balance through experience.

Its all about priorities! If you have a busy "life" with kids or family or just enjoy going out, modifying a cell phones operating system probably want be at the stop of your list. But for some who's lives are less full, enjoyment out of hacking a cell phone moves up that list and before you know it that's all there is. Obviously I'm examining the two extremes but they do exist.

I always try to be a moderate but I've been on vacation so I've been on a binge flashing. Its time for me to go back to reality tomorrow.

It also took me 5 minutes to unlock and root the phone without even looking at any instructions. I already had adb and fastboot setup because of the Xoom so it was a no brainer, just had to get the drivers setup. So history goes a bit with knowledge and things become easier. Its those first steps that are the hardest.

Sorry for all the cliche statements.

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My wife has kept her DX stock since day one. She generally just makes calls and plays games.

While I was running a half marathon she used my phone. When I met her after the race the first thing she said to me was, "Whatever you did to your phone, PLEASE do it to mine!" She was amazed at its speed, battery life, and overall theme.

Most will be fine without a rooted phone with a ROM. Especially the GNEX. The GNEX is simply the best phone I have owned. But when the fully tricked out ROMs start emerging, I will be diving in HEAD FIRST.

Flashing a ROM is basically taking the chains off your beast and letting it show you its FULL potential. If you are considering it, DO IT. You will not ever regret it. You will discover the TRUE ANDROID your phone was meant to be...

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a question? I didn't wanna make a separate thread about this but for those rooted with a 4.0.3 ROM, does it improve the camera?

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a question? I didn't wanna make a separate thread about this but for those rooted with a 4.0.3 ROM, does it improve the camera?

I wasn't on 4.0.2 for very long and don't think I took many pictures. I am very pleased with the camera on 4.0.3. The better half wants to sell her truck so I took some photos and she loved them. I always make sure to wipe the lens first. Granted they were outdoor, its the indoor ones or poor light that have issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech