06-25-2015 11:00 AM
877 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    This whole thing almost seems too good to be true! Can't wait to try it out.

My one question at this point, as the process seems pretty straightforward, is that I'm locked and stocked and I just accepted the latest OTA (IMM76K). Will this couple clicks method be compatible with that version of the VZW Gnex?

To give some perspective, I'm coming from a Droid Incredible, and anyone who rooted that knows how simple it was, and this program seems to do the trick as well.

Thanks in advance for your hard work, Wug!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Yes... The toolkit works with the latest update (IMM76K)... Just follow the instructions to the fullest and you will have no problems.
    06-21-2012 07:30 AM
    I lied when I said I had only one question.

Sorry

But on Step 4 (I searched the threads and I couldn't locate this specific hiccup), when I clicked LIST ADB DEVICES, I get an error window that says "Windows cannot find 'C:\\data\listdevices_adb.bat' Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.", but when I go into C:\\data... I can see it right there with my own two eyes.

Thoughts?

EDIT: So I went to listdevices_adb.bat and opened it manually, found my serial number. Is this sufficient to complete step 4 or will the fact that Windows couldn't find it in the first place hinder the rest of the process?

EDIT 2: Looks like it hinders the whole process. Windows can't find the necessary files to reboot into bootloader either.
    06-21-2012 09:03 AM
    Hi, I'm following your tuto to root a nexus s (GT-I9023 SFR France branded mobile). Everything is ok with drivers, was able to perform all the test (list adb device ok, reboot bootloader ok, list fastboot device ok and reboot device ok), but when it's time to backup data/media I have a message saying "can't communicate with device" ! It's strange all the tests shows that communication with the device works the way it should... Plus the backup folder is created under "nexuxbackup/data[...]" but it's empty.
    Did I miss something ? Just plugged the usb cable, and connected the mobile in usb mode, that all ?

Thanks for your help and great tuto/tool, was searching for days for a simple way to root my phone (well not exactly mine, customer service lended me a nexus when I gave them my xperia for a repair, hope I'll be able to unroot/relock BL when I'll return it to SFR CS ).

Thanks in advance.
    06-24-2012 02:16 PM
    It's really crazy how easy this is. I just used this for my wife's Nexus (I had used a Mac for mine) and this was awesome. Thanks so much!

BTW: for anyone having issues, make sure that you let the computer take a few moments to 're-recognize the device' each time it reboots. A couple of times, I thought maybe something was wrong, but I gave it a couple of moments and all went well. Also, since I used a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and already had some drivers, I tried to take shortcuts, but it wasn't going well, so I just uninstalled everything Samsung (as he said to do) and then reinstalled all drivers and it was very smooth.
    06-24-2012 04:55 PM
    Humm... no luck, my bootloader is unlock but can't root the phone. I'm stuck to the google black screen with a unlocked lock, with a message saying "waiting to device to reboot" on the pc, after waiting for more than 15mn each time I gave up... removing battery and sartting the mobile again...
    06-24-2012 05:36 PM
    Humm... no luck, my bootloader is unlock but can't root the phone. I'm stuck to the google black screen with a unlocked lock, with a message saying "waiting to device to reboot" on the pc, after waiting for more than 15mn each time I gave up... removing battery and sartting the mobile again...
    What version of Android ICS are you on? 4.0.2 or 4.0.4? I would try again or send a PM to Wug himself.
    06-24-2012 05:39 PM
    I'm on 4.0.4.
    Tried with my netbook : same result.

edit : when I'm on step 8 of driver config mobile doesn't reboot when on fastboot mode... Had to do it manually.
    06-25-2012 05:44 AM
    I'm on 4.0.4.
    Tried with my netbook : same result.

edit : when I'm on step 8 of driver config mobile doesn't reboot when on fastboot mode... Had to do it manually.
    Hmm. It might be wise to contact Wug.

For now, I suggest using the GNex toolkit. It can be found in a post on the general section here by a user named Murphy.

Sent from my TARDIS
    06-25-2012 07:23 AM
    Ok, will dl the gnex and send a pm if it doesn't resolve my problem.
    Thanks.
    06-25-2012 07:50 AM
    Ok, will dl the gnex and send a pm if it doesn't resolve my problem.
    Thanks.
    No problem. There might be some kinks with this one because you're like the 3rd or 4th person having difficulty.

Sent from my TARDIS
    06-25-2012 07:52 AM
    Found the Gnex Toolkit on XDA, but same results. Unable to boot at the last step...
    I'm trying to root this S-@?!!!-T for two days... I'm going to turn crazy...

Now that I have 5 posts I can send a pm to Wug !
    dmmarck likes this.
    06-25-2012 11:16 AM
    Found the Gnex Toolkit on XDA, but same results. Unable to boot at the last step...
    I'm trying to root this S-@?!!!-T for two days... I'm going to turn crazy...

Click to view quoted image

Now that I have ( posts I can send a pm to Wug !
    Hmmmm..and you double checked that you have IMM76D, correct?

Quite puzzling indeed. Something's going awry and I don't quite know what it is.
    06-25-2012 11:19 AM
    Hmmmm..and you double checked that you have IMM76D, correct?
    Yes, I hundred check !

On Wug's help page () he says "This can happen if you have the wrong model type selected and you use a script which boots a modified boot.img; if a wrong boot.img is utilized you will get stuck at the Goolge boot screen."

I noticed that some Nexus S GT-I9023 owner says that their baseband is "I9020"
    dmmarck likes this.
    06-25-2012 12:24 PM
    Hi All... can you help me out please if you can?

When i try to revert back to stock from a custom rom (AOKP) it doesn't do anything. I have all drivers installed properly, and i see the serial numbers in both adb and fastboot. it downloads the factory image noproblem, and the auto checks all workout. When it reboots my phone, to flash the package, it says "no image found" and just leaves my phone in fastboot. then I have to manually repboot it, but it is still aokp. Any ideas?
    06-25-2012 12:44 PM
    I rooted my Canadian GN last night at wnt well. I appreciate all your efforts in building the program. Yes....you're right there is a but. I have 2 apps that now aren't working correctly. "Whatsapp" will not allow me to download pics sent to me. The "download" button signals I have pressed it but no response after that. "The Chive" will no longer display pics at all anymore, as well as "zedge". I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but to no avail. Currently running v4.0.1. Any thoughts?
    06-27-2012 07:17 PM
    Hi Guys,

New to this and all I want to do is be able to use a sim from the Philippines in my US Verizon Galaxy Nexus. I will be traveling there for 5 weeks. Is it possible and if so do I need to unlock or root or both. And when I return do I need to reverse the process?

Thanks
    06-28-2012 01:30 PM
    Waree, I think I see your problem. According to your first post:

Hi, I'm following your tuto to root a nexus s (GT-I9023 SFR France branded mobile).
    You are trying to do this on a Nexus S (GT-I9023). This tool and the one from XDA are for the Galaxy Nexus, which is a different phone. I think that's why you are having problems. I would head over to the Nexus S forums and maybe they can help you there.
    06-29-2012 06:21 PM
    Seems as though it's a pic download problem. I'll try a re-root this weekend .
    06-29-2012 09:43 PM
    Quick Question... I am UNABLE to find the advanced setting to clear the Dilvak cache, etc... I was able to get into recovery mode and do a factory reset... but can't seem to locate the Advanced Option...

Thoughts...? Thanks...
    06-29-2012 10:28 PM
    New user, can't private message yet....

I picked up Galaxy Nexus after owning a Droid X, because I wanted a more mod-able phone and one that was closer to Google for updates. With Jelly Bean, I realized I may be waiting months still for OTA updates to his this phone. (I still wish Google could get carriers on board to speed this up, that alliance sure has not done so)

After readying about Jelly Bean, I decided I wanted to unlock and root my phone. After some Google searches I still was not 100% on what I needed to do. Not that there was not enough information, but no CLEAR path to unlock and root, how to recover, etc. This actually makes me think maybe the Android community could try to do something about this. Maybe take some cues from the communities that work with modding game consoles. The XBOX, there was more direct info it seemed to assist with unlocking it. Then again maybe it was more straight forward because there were less options? I am not sure but honestly it seemed like doing this on the XBOX was more straight forward than unlocking my Galaxy Nexus. Does this same something about the current state for Android and unlocking phones? Yes you can argue, some hardware such as MS XBOX was not meant to be unlocked, while Android phones are, (except when carriers try to lock phones down like Droid/Verizon, and that whole debate. However I am talking about the flag ship Google branded Galaxy Nexus. Step back from the community and see this from new customer views. This is what I am trying to show you, and I could be wrong. I am just stating what I have observed from the outside looking in.

Wugs I did stumble this utility, and quite honestly made it easier for me. I could have downloaded the utilites and software, used command line, I'm technical enough. However I wanted to just unlock my phone and install custom software, that is all. There are people out there that as soon as they see a bunch of web pages with directions to download this, type this command, then download that, they cringe or don't understand. This doesn't help the community. Yeah we need that flexibility, but we also need an easy to understand path to help people who just want it simple.

Your software did this. All the options and buttons can still potentially cause some anxiety with people. Maybe a even more scripted method that detects some of the options, more of a step by step wizard would help more less technical people. Either way thanks for your work on Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit. It put everything together into more of a clear picture of what needed done, and I was able to unlock, root, and update my phone. Thanks Wugs.
    06-30-2012 04:32 AM
    Yes, I hundred check !

On Wug's help page () he says "This can happen if you have the wrong model type selected and you use a script which boots a modified boot.img; if a wrong boot.img is utilized you will get stuck at the Goolge boot screen."

I noticed that some Nexus S GT-I9023 owner says that their baseband is "I9020"
    06-30-2012 01:31 PM
    Waree, I think I see your problem. According to your first post:

You are trying to do this on a Nexus S (GT-I9023). This tool and the one from XDA are for the Galaxy Nexus, which is a different phone. I think that's why you are having problems. I would head over to the Nexus S forums and maybe they can help you there.
    06-30-2012 01:32 PM
    Need help please! I'm a newbie and just went through the process of rooting my Verizon GNex...or so I thought. The last window says rooting procedure complete but is asking me to update the Superuser App. It wasn't on my phone so I downloaded from market. I also downloaded ROM manager which upon opening told me my phone wasn't rooted. Do I need to try the process again? don't want to brick phone. The process went smooth I thought. please help. thank you.

Brian
    07-01-2012 12:08 AM
    A million thanks, I am ROOTED!!
    07-01-2012 03:42 PM
    Just wanted to say thank you to Wugfresh - I just used this utility. I really dont know much about rooting and stuff, but this was SO EASY. I can't believe it really.

I just hope flashing to a new rom will be just as simple!

Thank you!!!
    07-01-2012 04:00 PM
877 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD