[Automated] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.2 (Updated 12/29/12)

stiffbak

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Automated] Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit v1.4 (Updated 6/5

And what's not working when unlocked and rooted?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Camera will not save photos. functions ok, can see the photo I've taken but not saved. and apps will not download pic, sms app "whatsapp" or "thechive". The chive i could care less, but pics from family/friends are important. As are my own of course.

Last edited:

rudmeister

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

I doubt you could use it. This isn't an international device. Rooting makes no difference.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

According to Verizon talk and text is available in the Philippines with the Galaxy Nexus. So to my original question. In order to use a different sim card do I need to root, unlock, or both? And do I need to reverse the procedure when returning to the states?

stiffbak

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site

Camera will not save photos. functions ok, can see the photo I've taken but not saved. and apps will not download pic, sms app "whatsapp" or "thechive". The chive i could care less, but pics from family/friends are important. As are my own of course.

I came across a different site that suggested I rename the DCIM folder and take a picture, which would recreate the DCIM folder. That worked. I can now take photos and save them. Now I need to figure out the downloading through apps problem.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

According to Verizon talk and text is available in the Philippines with the Galaxy Nexus. So to my original question. In order to use a different sim card do I need to root, unlock, or both? And do I need to reverse the procedure when returning to the states?

I don't think so, no, but in reality this is not my area of expertise so I'm sorry :-\

drkokandy

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks a million Wug for this toolkit! I was having trouble getting things working on Windows Vista, but everything was easy as pie on Windows 7.

UPDATE: I have (fingers crossed - it's working) solved this problem, but I will leave this in case someone has the same issue.

ORIGINAL PROBLEM:
I have a question regarding the .ab restore process. I'm currently trying to restore the .ab file to my Gnex. I started through the toolkit, typed in my password on my phone, and the phone said something like "Restore beginning" - then a few seconds later it said "Restore ended".

Since then, my phone appears to be doing nothing (sitting on the launcher screen) and my computer says "Restoring (file) to your device..." - apparently whatever made the phone say complete didn't register on the computer.

Is this normal? Is it doing anything? I don't want to pull the USB or anything because the toolkit warned against it.

Should I try the Restore data/media instead (I backed up both)?

SOLUTION:
It wasn't doing anything. The restore process wasn't working. I think what got it to work was putting in my backup's password twice. (I had left the top password blank when restoring because I thought it was talking about device encryption & my device wasn't encrypted.)

Last edited:

Crossfire503

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm running into the same camera issue as a fairly recent post. I just went through the entire process of updating all of my drivers, fastboot drivers, etc, and unlocking and rooting my phone. Any pic taken by my phone does not save in any way. I'm also running into a couple of other issues. I'm using Business Calendar and its widgets require access to the sdcard. I was using this application and its widgets just fine until rooting my device today. Now, when attempting to use any of the calendar widgets for this app, it tells me that there is an error accessing the sdcard, resulting in a problem using the widget. Specifically, it says that the "sd card of the device is not ready." It then says that it is only possible to use the widget when it is possible to write data to the SD card. The third issue that I am experiencing is involving the amazon app store. Since rooting, the app store works, but will not download or install apps. When I click install, it attempts to download, bounces back and forth between downloading and queued a few times, then tells that the download failed. However, I can download and install apps through other third party services. For instance, I uninstalled the amazing app store, downloaded it from the internet, and it installed just fine as long as Third Party Apps was checked in the Settings on the phone. These three issues seem to be the problems I am running into, while everything else is working just fine.

wickets

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

I use business calendar too....no issues with that and camera etc on razors jelly 2,6. goog earth is an issue but apparently its being 'fixed'

Crossfire503

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

I wiped the phone Cache andthe Dalvik cache to see if it would make any difference. I'm still running into the same problems, but have more info. When I attempt to take a picture, instead of simply not saving, it now pops up an error message stating that it failed to save to memory card. This is basically the same error given by the Business Calendar widget and looks like it might be underlying the issue for downloading apps through amazon. No idea how to fix it, though.

Aaron.Lasley

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Might be a silly question but if I root, flash JB, does anyone know if Google Wallet will still work? And what will happen when VZ pushes JB? If I install it will it just break root?

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

So I have been stuck on the backup screen where it says com.android.sharedstoragebackup for the past hour. After several repeated attempts, I have no idea what is wrong. I only have firefox and the toolkit open. the strangest part is, no matter what options I choose, the system tries to back up this file anyways. I am going to try one more time tonight, then will see if I can get any more luck tomorrow.

In the mean time any idea why it would hang up on that item?

Update: I noticed that when I unplug the phone when it's stuck, it then speeds through a whole bunch of other stuff. And the size of the update is around 650MB. Is that normal? Or am I doing something wrong? I set up the drivers correctly. Very confused as to what's wrong. I don't wanna wipe my phone without some sort of backup, and this is a nice option if I can get it to work.

Last edited:

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! Hopefully this will help with my issue.

Update: Sadly, this did not help with my issue. In fact, I now have a harder time even using the toolkit. I have to force close adb from the task manager twice before any operation will run. I then try to perform a backup, without the "shared data" box checked and with the "system apps + data" box checked, and the backup still shows, and then hangs, on com.android.sharedstoragebackup.

I then unplug, and it then zooms through more stuff, freezing again at com.google.android.gallery3d. But toolkit says that the backup was complete, and is 522MB in size. Did it work? I have no idea what to expect or look for when doing this.

Last edited:

WugFresh

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Your kernel could be causing the complication. Try using the advanced utilities, temporary boot, and then boot this image file which is included in the toolkit:
C:\Wugs_NexusRootToolkit.v1.5\data\modified_boot_toro-toroplus-maguro_4.1_JRN84D.img

Then try backing up again. If it works, then I could easily push an update that does this automatically for all custom JB builds.

{{ WugFresh }}

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

That's just it. This is a completely stock phone. No root, no nothing. Is that gonna be an issue? Cause I don't want to lose my data before I have a chance to do anything else.

gene26

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Ok, that is weird. When I had neither boxes checked, the backup completed. I am gonna run with it. Don't know what was wrong, but its fine now!

galaxynexus42

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Do I need to unlock the bootloader before using this guide? Or will Wug's guide do that for me? Also is there anyway to create a backup before i unlock the bootloader and root?

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Do I need to unlock the bootloader before using this guide? Or will Wug's guide do that for me? Also is there anyway to create a backup before i unlock the bootloader and root?

Wug's kit will do it all. Just take the time to read the first page of this thread and then follow the guide step by step. Just takes a few minutes and well worth the time.

Check out Jerry's Backup Wonder Machine. I used it before unlocking/rooting but never needed to restore to make sure it worked. You'll backup as a step using Wug's kit too. Can't hurt to have more backups than you need. Good luck!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...a-backup-wonder-machine-no-root-ics-only.html

Reactions: galaxynexus42

WugFresh

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Automated] Wug's Galaxy Nexus Root Toolkit v1.5 (Updated 7/1

Ok.. OP updated with v1.5. I still can't figure out how to switch the input to WYSIWYG on this forum.. There is no button for it. Am I missing something?

{{ WugFresh }}

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Thanks! Also, did you update the path for the manual installation of the drivers? I believe it needs \data\drivers instead of \drivers.

:)

WugFresh

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks! Also, did you update the path for the manual installation of the drivers? I believe it needs \data\drivers instead of \drivers.

:)

Yes I did.. that was a lame mistake in v1.4 (face palm)

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:
Reactions: dmmarck