Can't find a good rom.. suggestions!

mack

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking for the most stable, bug-free 4.0.3 rom. What is everyones favorite, and do you have issues?

One that I won't have to flash every week to fix issues.. thanks =)

TGreg104

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I've tried about 50% of the ROMs out there and I keep going back to one combo. Axi0m 2.3, but instead of the jd kernel, flash IMoseyOn's Lean Kernel exp version 1.2.2.

Do a full system wipe, wipe the cache/dalvik, and format the system (will not delete user data, although the full system wipe does) and install. Boot it up let it run for a few minutes. Boot into recovery load the new kernel and reboot.

I'm running at 1420/180 and using the interactiveX governor and I'm undervolted at 1275/1175/1175/1125/1025/900/950 and I'm getting excellent battery life.

The most important thing is to calibrate your battery with a full charge after flashing a new ROM, then let it fully discharge, til it shuts off, then fully charge it again. It really makes a difference.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I too am running Axiom 2.3, using the kernel that comes with the ROM. It's been the smoothest and fastest of his ROMs, so I saw no need to try a different kernel. I love it.

gonzlobo

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I use Euroskank's rom (they both kang CM9's sw). Euroskank's stuff leads droidtheory's roms by a day or so. There's a daily build, plus you don't have to do a factory wipe every time. Runandhide05 mods work on it too.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure axiom is a real fine rom, just don't overlook the others out there. There are tons. The GN has most all the big time developers working on producing stable smooth roms. To say one is better than another can produce some flames. Whichever one you choose...flash that female dog!

I'm on AOKP build 13 atm and it rox. :D

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Do a full system wipe, wipe the cache/dalvik, and format the system (will not delete user data, although the full system wipe does) and install. Boot it up let it run for a few minutes. Boot into recovery load the new kernel and reboot.

The most important thing is to calibrate your battery with a full charge after flashing a new ROM, then let it fully discharge, til it shuts off, then fully charge it again. It really makes a difference.

This advice suggesting you don't wipe data/factory reset is something you don't want to get in the habit of. Every ROM is a different OS, and if you try to keep old data in a new system you are asking for issues.

Th3ory (and MOST developers) in the OP and over and over again tell you to wipe data/factory reset, and format /system, coming from ANY other ROM or even earlier versions of the same ROM... they don't make you do this because they enjoy seeing you squirm. Old data brings issues. If you are going to take to the wonderful world of flashing new ROMs do NOT do it half-a$$ed... get in the habit of doing FULL WIPES before flashing a new system. Additionally, if you run into any kind of issues and complain about it, you could send the developer on a wild goose chase through millions of lines of code looking for a bug that doesn't exist and is there because you didn't wipe data.

Use Titanium Backup to backup all your apps, then once your new ROM is setup, you can use it to restore apps/data to NON SYSTEM apps. Games, some utilities, mostly things that don't sync.. that's usually alright. All of your system apps and settings and accounts you have to get used to setting up again, make yourself a checklist like I used to do of all the things you need to do to get your phone back to how you like it, eventually it will become second nature. Its better to do it the "long" way like this and spend 30 minutes or so settings everything back up than to try a shortcut that will leave you with problems.

Jesus sorry for the rant... its early and the fire marshalls just woke up my whole building to warn about a carbon monoxide leak haha... :)

EDIT: Just noticed I misread the quoted text above regarding wiping data..lmao... whatever I'm leaving the rant though because I still think its good advice :)
I'm sure axiom is a real fine rom, just don't overlook the others out there. There are tons. The GN has most all the big time developers working on producing stable smooth roms. To say one is better than another can produce some flames. Whichever one you choose...flash that female dog!

I'm on AOKP build 13 atm and it rox. :D

This is true too... I'm a big Th3ory supporter and I recommend Axi0m.. but there are tons of great devs working on this phone, you should check out all the ROMs available on rootzwiki, read the OP's for the feature's lists and changelogs, and see what sounds good to you. Don't be afraid to try out different ones or different combos of ROM and Kernels until you find some combo that really rocks it for you... your on Android which means you get to have a choice! :)

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was using Axiom starting from 1.8. The problem was that my car has the Microsoft Sync system in it and I used it all the time to play music through the car radio via bluetooth. With Axiom it was having all kinds of problems and I thought it was winamp that I was using. I downloaded a couple of others and they all had the same problem. I finally tried the RootzBoat ROM and it is really delicious. Everything works well and my music now works as its is supposed to.

Even better, the Rootzboat community over at rootzwiki is very friendly and accomodating which is something that I didn't find in the other rom community.

mack

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm on Axiom right now and it's very fast. I know how to flash =) There's so many choices. I was having issues with HD Revolution ROM. It was getting slow and glitchy and my battery life lasted 4 hours. I'm back up to great battery life.

One thing - 4.0 seems to put every app you install on the home screen. Is there anyway to disable this? This is awfully annoying.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm on Axiom right now and it's very fast. I know how to flash =) There's so many choices. I was having issues with HD Revolution ROM. It was getting slow and glitchy and my battery life lasted 4 hours. I'm back up to great battery life.

One thing - 4.0 seems to put every app you install on the home screen. Is there anyway to disable this? This is awfully annoying.

Market > Settings > unchecked install new app Widgets.

AOKP build 13 is the most stable with the best look and custom options IMO.

sccpmusc26

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I use Euroskank's rom (they both kang CM9's sw). Euroskank's stuff leads droidtheory's roms by a day or so. There's a daily build, plus you don't have to do a factory wipe every time. Runandhide05 mods work on it too.

I second Euroskank's rom. Very stable and fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt