who is rooted but is not flashing roms and why

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
ROMs are just a fun part of owning a Nexus, but if anyone doesn't want to mess with them, there's nothing wrong with that. What I can't understand is why anyone would unlock, root, then unroot and re-lock the phone. Being rooting has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you are experience a stock phone. Rooted and other wise stock is EXACTLY the same as being stock and not rooted. Rooting gives you the ability to modify the phone, ONLY of you choose to do so. It's exactly the same thing as going onto Windows File Explorer and clicking on the box that says "show hidden system files." You haven't changed Windows at all, unless you decide to do something to those system files that you can now see.

I recommend making a nandroid backup of your phone after rooting and installing all your apps and setting the phone/screens up as you want them. Then, no matter how many ROMs you try, you can always go back to stock in a matter of minutes. You can even get an OTA update from there (though that might make you lose your root).

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I root for access to the command line, system files, and to use titanium backup.
I have never had the desire to use an alternate ROM.

goph_man

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I am rooted and have gummy ROM with franco's kernel , and also running Nova launcher and I love it. I am somewhat confused as to what people not wanting to put a ROM on, because it is glichy or what not? Mine has been running perfect and I absolutely love it. Highly advise gummy and franco also. :D

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Nope. A droid 2, droid x, now the nexus. Had I purchased a TB and it was a bad device, I would have returned it.

i was just kidding around.
tbolt was a nice enough phone, and it's problems were not rom/ui related but really radio related, and it was the very first 4g lte phone availalbe on verizon so that's understandable enough.

if you came from a droid 2/x, and this isnt a knock, because i know there is a large root/rom community for at least the droid x, but motorola phones dont really get the same love in general for roms and mods bc of the locked bootloader.

having had droid incredible, thundebolt, and now a nexus, i can just say that flashing roms can be done for fun (like to have the newest stuff), variety (there are all different types of roms available for a popularly developed device), and/or utility (want better/different features than what is available stock).

on some devices, if you root and remain stock you can cause your phone problems, especially when an OTA comes around. So far this hasnt been the case with gnex, as far as i know.

anyway. to each his own. flashing roms can be whatever you want it to be, for me its basically a little bit of a time consuming, fun, hobby with nerd perks. if you're into that sort of thing.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Op her

I've been on roms for most if my time on the nexus and they run really good but sometimes I miss stock rom and I like to go back there for a while. The reason I will sometimes get rid of root is that I want not use roms and or anything root related. Sound dumb But I really don't want to do the whole rom thing sometimes. Now I will not get rid of root until an update comes out. But when one does I will unroot so I can get the update. I prefer to get my updates that way instead of flashing them. I'm hoping that the next update will finnaly keep my from rooting my phone. Again I know that sounds weird but its my phone. I do the rom thing for one reason only and that's to get a smooth phone and 4.0.2 is a little to laggy for me to really in joy this great phone and so the roms that I use give me this. I have been on 4.0.4 and was very impressed with the smoothness of it. That's all I want. I get a little tired of seeing these great roms updating and pulling me back in and then having to reset up everything again. Also this is an expensive phone and don't want o mess it up. I know that is very hard to do but it can still happen.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted and the only thing I flashed was the 4.0.4 OTA. I don't see a need to fix anything on the phone but maybe some volume issues. Coming from a rooted TBolt with multiple ROMs tried, the battery life on my GNex is phenomenal. The extended battery adds so little girth that it's worth the buy as well. I use the two batteries back and forth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Rooted.

Why do I not mess with ROM's? Easy- I used to own a Windows phone. Not the current generation Windows Phone 7, but Windows Mobile. I probably had over 20 ROM's flashed on that phone and the novelty quickly, quickly wore off. That's most of the reason I got the GN- it's stock. I don't need to get rid of crapware and bloatware and Android lets you customize almost anything on the GUI layer with just an app download and root access. I do respect the time and effort people put into custom ROM's though, most of the time for a pittance of a donation.

Castor_troyy

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I've rooted and the only thing I flashed was the 4.0.4 OTA. I don't see a need to fix anything on the phone but maybe some volume issues. Coming from a rooted TBolt with multiple ROMs tried, the battery life on my GNex is phenomenal. The extended battery adds so little girth that it's worth the buy as well. I use the two batteries back and forth.

Same here. I had debated about flashing the 4.0.4 leaked update, and glad I did, because I'd still be waiting :-!

theneighbor

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I unlocked the bootloader and rooted day one. I have not installed any custom software. My reason is because all I've ever wanted is a pure android experience with no bloatware, etc., and this phone delivers that. I also love ICS. I see no point for the time being. But I like having the options available to me for when I do decide to go to town. I guess I'm just not bored enough yet :)

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Stock 4.0.4 and lovin it everything seems to work smoother quicker, and better. I cannot wait to see what the next tweak will be.

Sent using speech to text
Galaxy Nexus.

jackrv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Finally broke down yesterday. Unlocked, rooted, and flashed 4.0.4. So far it seems to work better, no problems yet. Changed my soft buttons to blue circles :)

auburngirl

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I unlocked bootloader on release day because I knew i would root eventually. I came from the OG Droid where I had to root to get wireless tether and new features. Back in the day ROMs sure were buggy.

I told myself this time that I would only root and ROM when there were features that I needed that I could not have. Since wireless tether and Wallet could be had without root, who needed it?

Well, I finally lost all patience last week waiting for those updates that never seem to come. I was not unhappy with my Nexus, but I thought the signal and the battery could use some improvement. I am now rooted, on AOKP M3 Franco kernal and LOVING IT. NO bugs at all, much better battery and signal, and now I am doing some theming I could not do without root. I will never be one of those who flashes constantly because set up on my phone takes forever, but every once in a while, I am game.

Once you go root, you never go back.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys op here. I've been reading a lot more posts where people are starting to flash some roms. I think that a lot of the roms are at that point where they are stable and can be your daily driver. I just went back to my stock rom today and I've found it running very good. I have not missed being on a rom as of now. I'm kinda surprised at this but then again ics and this phone makes for a great phone. I found myself only flashing roms for the smoothness only. Don't use most of the tweeks that come with the roms anyway. But being back on stock feels good yes its not as smooth but still not bad to the point that I don't miss the extra smoothness. I'm sure I will be back on a rom soon. I think I will flash the 4.0.4 that leaked out and run that for awhile. I've already been on it for about a day and it gave me that little extra smoothness that I wanted. can't wait for an update to come out. I will still unroot to get it and just might stay that way or at least root but stop the flashing.

spacecasespiff

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
As long as im still rooted i will not get the update or at least it will fail. I plan on unrooting but keeping it unlocked. Being unlocked i will still get the update. I want to do it this way becouse i like the recieve updates over the air as to just flashing them. What keeps you from geting the update is clockwork. It replaces stock recovery. Stock recovery is one thing your phone needs to update and the only way to get rid of cw is to completly unroot. Its a bummer that doing that wipes the phone but ive done it a few times and its the same as putting on a new rom.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36