Titanium backup multiple roms?

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
So I am rooted and using codename rom, but would like to try bugless beast as well. I have this rom backed up fully with CWM. Also have titanium backing up my individual apps.

So what do I do now? Do I take my titanium backup folder and put on my dropbox? I'm saying this because most roms require a wipe, so I will lose all backed up info otherwise correct?

Then reinstall titanium when I flash bugless beast and restore backup folder from dropbox?

Any info would help, thanks!

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
TiBU lets you specify the database location, so theoretically you can save your backups to different folders you create for each rom.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ya know once, I got over the sd card thing (understanding how it's virtual on the nexus) flashing is so easy....dropbox is great....I love titanium...

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I did a wipe to install Codename after I backed up with Titanium, I didn't use dropbox, and my backups were still there ready to be restored when the phone booted up. I don't think the wipe clears the virtual sdcard....am I wrong?

Swyped from my Galaxy Nexus in Tapatalk Pro!

5h4un360

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I did a wipe to install Codename after I backed up with Titanium, I didn't use dropbox, and my backups were still there ready to be restored when the phone booted up. I don't think the wipe clears the virtual sdcard....am I wrong?

Swyped from my Galaxy Nexus in Tapatalk Pro!

No it doesn't, it keeps it there. Along with your recent downloads that you have downloaded

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Great, Did not realize it keeps it on there, great app! Thanks everyone.

truthhunter

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Here is a question. I have seen many times where people have said only backup application in Titanium, do not "Backup all user apps + system data". I understand that you would not want to backup system data if you are restoring apps from one ROM to another differernt ROM. However, let's say I am going to flash my first custom ROM, and am therefore going to back-up via ROM manager my existing stock ROM. Would it make sense to use Titanium to back up user apps + system data if I every plan on restoring back to the stock ROM? Am I correct in assuming that example would be the correct reason to backup user apps + system data?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Here is a question. I have seen many times where people have said only backup application in Titanium, do not "Backup all user apps + system data". I understand that you would not want to backup system data if you are restoring apps from one ROM to another differernt ROM. However, let's say I am going to flash my first custom ROM, and am therefore going to back-up via ROM manager my existing stock ROM. Would it make sense to use Titanium to back up user apps + system data if I every plan on restoring back to the stock ROM? Am I correct in assuming that example would be the correct reason to backup user apps + system data?

I only ever use Titanium to backup User Apps, never system data.

If you make a backup with CWM ( or via ROM Manager) everything you need is backed up, including apps and system settings. It's effectively an image of the current state of your phone when the backup was taken.

Titanium is usually used if you want to save your app data between ROMs. So you flash a ROM, do a full wipe, lose all your apps and their data, then post install of the new rom you can use titanium to restore that app data.

Other may have different methods but that's what I use.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

truthhunter

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
So when restoring from CWM you automatically get everything back including your settings, applications and etc. I did not realize that. So in practice, Titanium or MyBackup app for example acts really as an incremental backup in that it restores items installed after the last CWM (ROM Manager) backup. I assume that's why you never need to backup the system settings because that's already done when using ROM Manager's "Manage and Restore Backup" option. It's restoring the image you select using CWM. Is that correct? Therefore if you use that restore option there is no need to wipe caches prior to (as you might do when installing a custom ROM) since that happens automatically I assume?

If so, that's very helpful for a noob like me to know and it may help answer some questions I posted on another thread. Thank you.

truthhunter

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for such a detailed response to my questions. Very helpful for a noob like me. For any others trying to understand this stuff, I also saved the following links which I personally found helpful.

CWM:

What Is ClockworkMod Recovery And How To Use It On Android [Complete Guide] Its a good read on CWM. **There may be some malware on this site as I seem to get that bogus security scan popup site when this page loads sometimes***

ROM Manager:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&hl=en (This is the ROM Manager video from pocketnow.com in the Andriod Market page).

TitaniumBackup:

How To Use Titanium Backup For Android [Complete Guide]

TB - User's guide

https://market.android.com/details?...DEsImNvbS5rZXJhbWlkYXMuVGl0YW5pdW1CYWNrdXAiXQ.. (This is the video pocketnow.com in the Android Market for Titanium)

MyBackupPro

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro&hl=en (This is the video in Android Market page).

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
So when restoring from CWM you automatically get everything back including your settings, applications and etc. I did not realize that. So in practice, Titanium or MyBackup app for example acts really as an incremental backup in that it restores items installed after the last CWM (ROM Manager) backup. I assume that's why you never need to backup the system settings because that's already done when using ROM Manager's "Manage and Restore Backup" option. It's restoring the image you select using CWM. Is that correct? Therefore if you use that restore option there is no need to wipe caches prior to (as you might do when installing a custom ROM) since that happens automatically I assume?

If so, that's very helpful for a noob like me to know and it may help answer some questions I posted on another thread. Thank you.

yup, you got it :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37