No need to wipe battery stats....

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
And that comes from a Google engineer. She says that file has literally nothing to do with battery levels, charging, etc. it is simply responsible for reporting the information you see in the settings under battery usage.

So, who will never wipe again, and who week never stop? Personally, I think I'm done wiping.

Swyped from my Galaxy Nexus (Codename Android 1.1.0 and franco.Kernel) in Tapatalk Pro!

chevyguy8893

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
It seems to help me because I get the correct number in the bar. When I wipe stats and run to zero I pull the battery and turn the phone back on. I generally have around 5% left to drain, then I will charge it back up. Then again, I wipe my phone so much to install updates of ROM's or switch ROM's that I might get one or two battery cycles before I do it all over again:D.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Helps me. If I flash a new rom without wiping I find my battery as it drains to get all over the place. I will be at 20% and using my phone and watch it go up and up back to say 25%. Or I will do a reboot and then see in the battery stats a large increase or decrease at the time of a reboot. I'll keep on wiping when flashing new stuff.

Sent from my GalaxyNexus using Tapatalk

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It seems to help me because I get the correct number in the bar. When I wipe stats and run to zero I pull the battery and turn the phone back on. I generally have around 5% left to drain, then I will charge it back up. Then again, I wipe my phone so much to install updates of ROM's or switch ROM's that I might get one or two battery cycles before I do it all over again:D.

Have you ever heard of the placebo effect?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have kinda been thinking its just a placebo for awhile. I don't think wiping stats will help battery life...it may help the reporting of battery however. I'm in the camp that it doesn't really matter myself. I have not been able to tell one way or the other.

chevyguy8893

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever heard of the placebo effect?

Yep, just saying when the phone shuts itself off and I pull the battery, and reinstall it, I still have around 5% battery life left to drain. So if that is the case then wiping stats works so that 5% is known. If it doesn't do anything, then oh well it doesn't take much to do it.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
If a Google engineer that works on Android tells me that there isn't a reason to wipe the batt stats i'm inclined to believe her.

But who knows....

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Does she say this after flashing custom roms it does nothing? With my droid x on cm7 I would be around 10% and then out of nowhere it would just turn off saying it was dead. Full charge and a battery wipe made it go away.

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Does she say this after flashing custom roms it does nothing? With my droid x on cm7 I would be around 10% and then out of nowhere it would just turn off saying it was dead. Full charge and a battery wipe made it go away.

I didn't read her Google+ post, but I'm betting she failed to mention anything about romming ;)

Swyped from my Galaxy Nexus (Codename Android 1.1.1 and franco.Kernel) in Tapatalk Pro!

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I didn't read her Google+ post, but I'm betting she failed to mention anything about romming ;)

Swyped from my Galaxy Nexus (Codename Android 1.1.1 and franco.Kernel) in Tapatalk Pro!

Yea that's all I'm thinking. Yes wiping may do nothing if your just always running stock but flashing roms and stuff might alter the stats.

kingsway8605

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yea that's all I'm thinking. Yes wiping may do nothing if your just always running stock but flashing roms and stuff might alter the stats.

Considering you need cwm or a root app to wipe stats, it is implied the person is romming.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The idea that wiping battery stats improves battery life is an idea that seems to have spawned out of nowhere. It is often recommended to wipe battery stats by ROM devs, but not because it improves battery life. It does, however, allow you to get more accurate test results regarding your battery life.

If you plan to run battery life tests after flashing a new ROM (or new version of a ROM), then you should wipe the battery stats so your previous ROM's information doesn't corrupt your current results.

And also, for accurate results, you should charge to 100% and keep the phone charged while flashing the ROM.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It is often recommended to wipe battery stats by ROM devs, but not because it improves battery life.

Perhaps it is the way it's presented then. I constantly see 1st posts in ROM threads explaining that if you have poor battery life, wipe battery stats when your battery is fully charged.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Perhaps it is the way it's presented then. I constantly see 1st posts in ROM threads explaining that if you have poor battery life, wipe battery stats when your battery is fully charged.

Yea it would never make more battery but it does make it report right and not jump all over so while wiping everything why not do it to the battery also.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
according to a post on XDA, battery stats are wiped anyway when your device is fully charged. So it's really starting to look like there isn't any real benefit, aside from maybe placebo, in wiping them at all.

it really looks like those stats are just used in the battery section of settings to keep track of specific usage by an app.

Reactions: shugmeat

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
according to a post on XDA, battery stats are wiped anyway when your device is fully charged. So it's really starting to look like there isn't any real benefit, aside from maybe placebo, in wiping them at all.

it really looks like those stats are just used in the battery section of settings to keep track of specific usage by an app.

I guess the battery being all over the place is normal then. Also when the nexus charges it goes to 97/98%. When you boot recovery and wipe battery stats and plug back in it will charge to 100%. Its just strange it shows it does something but yet it doesn't.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess the battery being all over the place is normal then. Also when the nexus charges it goes to 97/98%. When you boot recovery and wipe battery stats and plug back in it will charge to 100%. Its just strange it shows it does something but yet it doesn't.

Yeah, sometimes a reboot will get mine to register 100%...not sure why.

I've had way less wonky charging issues when i switched over to the stock charger that came with the phone. Before I would hang or stick at like 98% and it would take forever to get to 100%.

I'm still inclined to believe Google on this one and especially if people are kinda nodding in agreement over at XDA.

This whole thing reminds me of the old Task Manager deal, they were awesome and necessary until Google said they weren't and then all of a sudden our phones worked fine without them :)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The thought was simply that the file was what android used to estimate your battery level, turns out that's not the case. Even developers thought that it helped to clear them.

It wasn't magically increasing anything, there was logic behind why it worked. Just turns out that we didn't have all the info.