Unlocked, Rooted and ready for 4.0.4, 3 questions

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Preface - I am a noob and new to the rooting scene, kind of, I rooted my DroidX but was spoiled by Z4Root. I have been doing a lot of research and have been learning what terms mean and how things work but am hoping that someone can fill in some gaps for me, Thanks a lot.

I am Unlocked and Rooted successfully. I know this because my phone boots up with an unlocked symbol and I am running programs that require super user permissions, such as Titanium Backup. I am on a Mac so I rooted using the tutorials that are stickied in these forums.

I have downloaded ROM Manager (from Clockworkmod) and also Root Explorer. I am under the impression that from ROM Manager I should click "Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery" and let it fully install. Then from there I should enter Root Explorer, Mount R/W and then go to system and rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p" to "recovery-from-boot.p.bak"

QUESTION 1 What does this do? I am assuming that when I power on the phone holding the volume up/down and the power button that this will enable the phone to boot into ClockWorkMod's Recovery instead of Androids Recovery, Is this a correct assumption? What is the point of adding the .bak and will I ever need to change the name back?

QUESTION 2 Before I attempt to to Flash 4.0.4 I know that I should make a Nandroid Backup. Since I am making the Backup unlocked and rooted in 4.0.2 if I flash to 4.0.4 would I be able to use the nandroid backup to revert back to the Unlocked Rooted 4.0.2 state that I had before or it doesnt work like that?

QUESTION 3 OK so now that I flashed 4.0.4 will I lose root? Will I still be able to access ClockWorkMod recovery? I see that there are methods to root 4.0.4, does anyone know how to do so on a Mac? Does VooDoo Root keeper work for this process?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Preface - I am a noob and new to the rooting scene, kind of, I rooted my DroidX but was spoiled by Z4Root. I have been doing a lot of research and have been learning what terms mean and how things work but am hoping that someone can fill in some gaps for me, Thanks a lot.

I am Unlocked and Rooted successfully. I know this because my phone boots up with an unlocked symbol and I am running programs that require super user permissions, such as Titanium Backup. I am on a Mac so I rooted using the tutorials that are stickied in these forums.

I have downloaded ROM Manager (from Clockworkmod) and also Root Explorer. I am under the impression that from ROM Manager I should click "Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery" and let it fully install. Then from there I should enter Root Explorer, Mount R/W and then go to system and rename the file "recovery-from-boot.p" to "recovery-from-boot.p.bak"

QUESTION 1 What does this do? I am assuming that when I power on the phone holding the volume up/down and the power button that this will enable the phone to boot into ClockWorkMod's Recovery instead of Androids Recovery, Is this a correct assumption? What is the point of adding the .bak and will I ever need to change the name back?
The stock system will replace Clockwork Recovery with the stock recovery every time it reboots. Deleting or renaming that file will keep that from happening. Go ahead and delete it.

QUESTION 2 Before I attempt to to Flash 4.0.4 I know that I should make a Nandroid Backup. Since I am making the Backup unlocked and rooted in 4.0.2 if I flash to 4.0.4 would I be able to use the nandroid backup to revert back to the Unlocked Rooted 4.0.2 state that I had before or it doesnt work like that?
When you restore a backup it will be a complete image of your phone as it is when you made the backup. The only thing it won't change is your radios (if you upgrade them later). You're phone is now unlocked and you won't lose that.

QUESTION 3 OK so now that I flashed 4.0.4 will I lose root? Will I still be able to access ClockWorkMod recovery? I see that there are methods to root 4.0.4, does anyone know how to do so on a Mac? Does VooDoo Root keeper work for this process?
You should use a 4.0.4 system that will come pre-rooted for you. I haven't used any, but I can easily find a link to one for you.. here: IMM30B 4.0.4 | Stock,rooted,deodexed,zipaligned,busybox,insecure boot + mods zips - RootzWiki

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Just to add, Root Keeper should work but I have no personal knowledge to confirm that.

Thank you so much for the answers, I really appreciate it.

The link that you gave me for the rooted version, I should just rename it to update.zip and continue how intended before?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for the answers, I really appreciate it.

The link that you gave me for the rooted version, I should just rename it to update.zip and continue how intended before?

No need to rename. Just put it on your sd card. Follow the instructions in the OP about what needs to be wiped in CWR, then you hit Install zip from sd card and find the file.

Sent from my AOKP AXI0M GNEX using Tapatalk

jeffrich21

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance