[GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nexus

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] Don't Panic: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Nex

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Liquidsmooth 1.4 has the toro and tuna downloads. After i flash the toro do I need to do a factory reset and flash tuna on or just flash tuna? tuna is extras for the camera effects and what not. I couldn't find directions anywhere. As being new at this I'm afraid to brick my phone.
Thanks again for all the help provided so far.

As a side note. I liked Wug's 1.3 better than 1.4

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Liquidsmooth 1.4 has the toro and tuna downloads. After i flash the toro do I need to do a factory reset and flash tuna on or just flash tuna? tuna is extras for the camera effects and what not. I couldn't find directions anywhere. As being new at this I'm afraid to brick my phone.
Thanks again for all the help provided so far.

As a side note. I liked Wug's 1.3 better than 1.4

So long as the tuna package is for toro, just flash it after the rom. Don't wipe and don't reboot. Check their posts though!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: rebretz000

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

So long as the tuna package is for toro, just flash it after the rom. Don't wipe and don't reboot. Check their posts though!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Thanks again. You're like Obi-wan Kenobi. The wise master passing the knowledge to newbs.

AC community and it's leaders/advisors are the best. There needs to be some kind award.
The Androids presented by Google.

Reactions: dmmarck

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Awesome guide. Just read it in preparation for my first root!

I'm on the official 4.0.4 and I have a few questions before I dive into this...

1) Your radios show "I515.09 V.FA04 / I515.FA05" ---
mine show "I515.09 V.FC04 / I515.FC05" <--- sup with that?:confused:

2) I need a little help understanding the back up process before I get started. I'm probably going to use Wug's (for ease), but I'm fairly tech savvy. I've downloaded SMS Backup+.

-Basically - Is there a set process to return my phone to "as is" after rooting and flashing, etc. Will all my apps still be there? Will they be located where I have them now? Widgets? Phone settings (ringtones, haptic feedback, etc) restored? Wallpaper?

I know those are all fairly easy to re-do, but I would love it if I could restore all the settings, folders, etc to how I had them after I root/flash/rom.

Thanks again for your help!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Awesome guide. Just read it in preparation for my first root!

I'm on the official 4.0.4 and I have a few questions before I dive into this...

1) Your radios show "I515.09 V.FA04 / I515.FA05" ---
mine show "I515.09 V.FC04 / I515.FC05" <--- sup with that?:confused:

2) I need a little help understanding the back up process before I get started. I'm probably going to use Wug's (for ease), but I'm fairly tech savvy. I've downloaded SMS Backup+.

-Basically - Is there a set process to return my phone to "as is" after rooting and flashing, etc. Will all my apps still be there? Will they be located where I have them now? Widgets? Phone settings (ringtones, haptic feedback, etc) restored? Wallpaper?

I know those are all fairly easy to re-do, but I would love it if I could restore all the settings, folders, etc to how I had them after I root/flash/rom.

Thanks again for your help!

First question - those screenshots were taken on the old 4.0.4 leak; the NEW 4.0.4 leak/OTA is FC. You have the latest (as have I for a month or so :p). No reason to panic :).

Second question - if you're unlocked with a custom recovery installed, it's VERY easy to return your phone to as is. A nandroid backs up EVERYTHING. So if anything ever goes awry, you can restore your backup and it will ALL come back. Think of it this way. You're writing a novel in Word and you're about to change the ending. So you save it, and then save a copy as version 2. This nandroid is like version 1, right. If you want to keep the old ending, just use the prior one and delete the second version, right, like the second never existed? And if you want everything the way it was before you flashed a rom that you didn't like? Restore the backup. It replaces everything except the radios and bootloader, which are separate.

EVERYTHING returns. Old SMS, call logs, wallpaper, everything.

Now, if you want to restore "settings" there are ways to do that without restoring your backup. This would be if you flash a rom, like it, but want to maintain a general setup. The basic way is to use a launcher like Nova; you can save homescreens, icons, etc., that you can then restore upon flashing a new rom. Another way is rom specific to AOKP--you can "save" your AOKP Rom Control settings with their app (it's paid/donation in the Play Store), and then upon flashing a new version of AOKP, simply restore.

For me, I have a favorite Nova setting. I don't mind not having my wallpaper automatically "generate" or not having my old SMS there. I simply flash a new rom, reboot, login to Google, and let Market Restore do its thing. Once that's finished, I set Nova as my default launcher, restore my backup, and all of my screens and Nova settings are as one. Since I (and all of us, really) interact with the launcher the most out of everything or any app, this takes care of any "I wish it were the same" feelings that I may have had :).

Hope that helps!

Reactions: RyMac04

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

As a noobie too, I use Nova to reset my screens I also downloaded SMS backup for my texts.
I still have to reset my ringtones.
This forum and the techs here are great, hands down!
I wish I had the time to do more with the phone.

Xanth

Reactions: dmmarck

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

As a noobie too, I use Nova to reset my screens I also downloaded SMS backup for my texts.
I still have to reset my ringtones.
This forum and the techs here are great, hands down!
I wish I had the time to do more with the phone.

Xanth

We do our best; thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it :).

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Great info.

Here is where I'm still slightly confused... Unlocking the phone is what wipes it, correct?

My goal: unlock and root / flash a new rom and after doing so, still have my apps, home screens, sms, and settings in place.

Unpossible?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Great info.

Here is where I'm still slightly confused... Unlocking the phone is what wipes it, correct?

My goal: unlock and root / flash a new rom and after doing so, still have my apps, home screens, sms, and settings in place.

Unpossible?

You have to see what Wug's can do, in all honesty. I've never used it for its backup capabilities, but if there were an option to "restore" apps after unlocking (and yes, that wipes the SDcard and the phone in its entirety), I presume Wug's would have it.

Usually, when you first unlock/root you set up your device AFTER that initial step, b/c of the wipe. Then, once unlocked, rooted, and set up, then you flash different roms and use tools like Titanium Backup, the SMS keeper, and Nova to keep your settings and screens as you like.

I view unlocking/rooting as a renaissance for your phone; it's a new shot at having a new phone, in other words. From there you tinker.

Reactions: RyMac04

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Bumping this for the newcomers to the phenomenon currently known as flashing!

Reactions: svfd757

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Hello folks. I am having a bit of difficulty here. I followed CyberWarrior's instructions on unlocking the bootloader and everything seemed to go to plan. I also did the part where he says to root by double clicking "install-superboot-windows.bat", this also seemed to go fine, my phone re-booted I went to the market and downloaded all my apps. All was well.
I also purchased ROM Manger and installed Titanium Backup and here is where the issue is, when I try to flash clockwork recovery it goes through most of the load and then says " An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!"
When I try to open Titanium Backup it says " Sorry I could not aquire root priveleges. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your ROM is rooted and includes BusyBox, and try again. This attempt was made using the "/system/xbin/su" command"

I have no idea what is going on, I would love the help of one of you BRIGHTER fellows!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello folks. I am having a bit of difficulty here. I followed CyberWarrior's instructions on unlocking the bootloader and everything seemed to go to plan. I also did the part where he says to root by double clicking "install-superboot-windows.bat", this also seemed to go fine, my phone re-booted I went to the market and downloaded all my apps. All was well.
I also purchased ROM Manger and installed Titanium Backup and here is where the issue is, when I try to flash clockwork recovery it goes through most of the load and then says " An error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!"
When I try to open Titanium Backup it says " Sorry I could not aquire root priveleges. This application will *not* work! Please verify that your ROM is rooted and includes BusyBox, and try again. This attempt was made using the "/system/xbin/su" command"

I have no idea what is going on, I would love the help of one of you BRIGHTER fellows!

You've got SU showing in app drawer right? Download Root Checker from the market real quick and have it confirm you're rooted, let me know..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site

You've got SU showing in app drawer right? Download Root Checker from the market real quick and have it confirm you're rooted, let me know..

Says It's not rooted. SU is in my app drawer

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site

By SU you mean the Superuser app which is the Android with an eye patch right?

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes I am on 4.04.
I was completely stock and had never done any unlocking until yesterday.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Says It's not rooted. SU is in my app drawer

First reboot if you haven't.

Then open superuser and if there are any permissions set for tibu in there, erase them.

Then from your app drawer press and hold/drag tibu up to "App info" and from there clear cache and data (Force stop first if its running)

Then launch it and try again, hopefully it will ask for root rights and you can grant.

reeper55

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Did what you said, upon opening TiBu I got the same error as before.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae