rom manager question

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
is everything working with rom manager? backup and restore and such?

I am pretty sure I used the lite or a method that didnt flash anything when I unlocked and rooted my phone and am now going to try some roms and just flashed it so I wanted to check.

Any new tips or tricks I should know? I am fairly sure of what I am doing for the most part but have not been around that much the past couple months and want to make sure I dont miss anything or do something I shouldnt :)

thanks

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't necessarily trust Rom Manager for backups--I prefer rebooting into recovery and making it there. Honestly, same goes for flashing, restoring, etc. I just find that working directly in CWM is straightforward and reassuring for a nut like me.

Reactions: dubge and 2defmouze

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
So long as you stick with CM or derivatives, ROM Manager seems to work fine. But you should know how to do it manually via CWM for your own sake, and use ROM Manager for ease once you do.

I have to concur on ROM Manager being flakey on anything non CM.

Reactions: dubge

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I do it all manually through recovery too. I read about some people having issues with RM way back in my D1 days, so I've always just done everything through recovery.

I've also read of many people not having issues at all, but me personally, would rather err on the side of caution.

Plus, it's just more fun that way. I can give myself a false sense of accomplishment.

Man..... remember SPRecovery? Good times, good times.

*customized tapatalk signature*

Reactions: dubge and 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
As the majority said... Use CWM recovery for everything.. Rom manager screws up sometimes and you'll sooner or later find yourself stuck without it for some reason and needing to use recovery.. So get used to using it now and you'll be better off :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: dubge

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
ok thanks for all the input. I used RM to flash CWM and did a backup through RM, it booted into recovery and did the back up. It has been a while since I have done a back up with anything and to be honest I forgot about using CWM to do a back up. I do remember having an issue with backups not working through one of them on an older phone I did it on thus the reason I never bothered.

I will likely just delete the RM backup and do another through CWM

thanks

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I use RM quite often to flash stuff. It automates things like wipes and auto reboots for you.
I know how to use cwm manually yet I like the automation rm provides.
ONLY bug I have found is it sometimes says a file I want to flash is in the wrong dir, specifically the 2 download directories I have, one with a capital D and the other without.
Other than that rm is flawless for me. Backups and recovery work fine. Only thing it doesn't do is allow you to do 2 or more things in a flash session.
You purists can rag on me all you want, but I like to use it.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't judge bro :D

Whatever each person is most comfortable with/enjoys. As long as we're all having fun, that's what matters.... sissy :what: ;) :D

Reactions: davey11

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't judge bro :D

Whatever each person is most comfortable with/enjoys. As long as we're all having fun, that's what matters.... sissy :what: ;) :D

Looking at my post above, I said I use rm quite often to flash. Well thinking about it, I use rm on EVERY theme/mod flash except rom flashes with a gapps file. (2 things in one session). Also use it on every nandroid backup and restore I do. Never failed me once.

I appreciate where you non rm users are coming from. For newbs its VERY important to learn using cwm manually. RM has spoiled me with the automation. No scrolling through long lists of files or hitting "go back" numerous times. It does its thing and reboots.

Reactions: oxymoron

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I had it do a wicked freeze/insane thing on my DINC, and that was the last time I used it to flash. Which is odd considering it's the same dev? Who knows lol

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I use Rom Manager to manage and create backup and have for a few years and have never had any issues when restoring a backup and I can rename the backup when starting it. I have also flashed a few times using RM without issues either so I give RM double thumbs up :)

Reactions: davey11

GKreamer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I've used RM to backup and restore and it worked great. I guess I should learn how to do this manually too.

Sent from my ThunderBolt! using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I've used RM to backup and restore and it worked great. I guess I should learn how to do this manually too.

Sent from my ThunderBolt! using Tapatalk 2

It's a piece of cake. Reboot into CWM, scroll down to Backup and Restore, then click the backup option. To restore, go to Backup and Restore, click restore, find your file/folder/backup.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
One thing I don't do is let rm do rom downloads and updates. I prefer to get them fresh off the press in the forums. :)

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL