[RADIOS][VZW] Galaxy Nexus Radios and Installation Guide

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Great to have these all in one place, thank you very much.

Unfortunately this did not fix my horrendous 4g, I was really hoping not to have to exchange the phone. Hopefully it doesnt take 3 or 4 exchanges before I get one that doesnt drop service every 3 minutes

good luck getting a good replacement - its a pita but once you get this device in working order, it really cant be beat imo.

let us know how the replacement works out..

and dont forget to relock before you send it back :)

jackdunhill

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I already have a replacement on order, I just have to send back the phone first (got it through amazon for a penny!) It just really is a pita to return it to stock and all that before doing so then go 2-3 days without and back to my other phone. gonna play around with a few different kernel/radio combinations since I have to kill time until I get home to return to stock

Thank again for the great write up

tpinkfloyd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Someone help me out here since things seem to have changed a lot since I last actually flashed a phone (Motorola Droid 1). I just got my Gnex a week ago and have been dealing with the signal issue. I have been holding off on rooting due to the fact that I want to make sure it isn't an issue with the physical aspects of the phone.

Does flashing the radio change the signal quality?

Getting no more than 2 bars unless at my father-in-law's house but he has a tower on his property so the phone would have already gone back if no signal there.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Someone help me out here since things seem to have changed a lot since I last actually flashed a phone (Motorola Droid 1). I just got my Gnex a week ago and have been dealing with the signal issue. I have been holding off on rooting due to the fact that I want to make sure it isn't an issue with the physical aspects of the phone.

Does flashing the radio change the signal quality?

Getting no more than 2 bars unless at my father-in-law's house but he has a tower on his property so the phone would have already gone back if no signal there.

It depends how your phone reacts. Generally, most have found greater hand off with the newer radios. More so than greater overall signal strength. If you aren't getting a good enough signal, you may need to look into a new device to resolve the possible hardware issue.

Also, if you have 4.04 software, you have the latest radios. Dunno what benefit you would get from going backwards...

tpinkfloyd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have been running 4.1 (CM10) fully for a day and the only problem I have had is slight radio loss and for some reason instead of mic cut-out all I have had is it making me sound like I am talking through my hand. No clue why. Does drain my battery a bit faster too losing about an hour of battery life from ICS. CM10 is nice had a hiccup with Clockwork loading through fastboot but got it on there through the app.

As soon as you get those Radios if you can shoot me a PM that would be awesome. Might also need help installing it. Wanna try myself first I think.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have been running 4.1 (CM10) fully for a day and the only problem I have had is slight radio loss and for some reason instead of mic cut-out all I have had is it making me sound like I am talking through my hand. No clue why. Does drain my battery a bit faster too losing about an hour of battery life from ICS. CM10 is nice had a hiccup with Clockwork loading through fastboot but got it on there through the app.

As soon as you get those Radios if you can shoot me a PM that would be awesome. Might also need help installing it. Wanna try myself first I think.

Should be a painless easy process, just gotta check md5 to be on the safe side. But I'll let ya know or at least I'll try to remember :)

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry if this has been addressed but I looked through several pages but havent found an answer to my question. I am new to the gnex and the first thing I did as soon as I got it was to flash TWRP, the JB bootloader, and AOKP JB Build 1 (did everything right, wiped data, cache ect). My 4G signal is pretty much unusable because it drops too often. I have to leave it in CDMA only all the time. I checked the about screen and I have baseband 10 with FC04 and FC05. Is there a radio that is recommended to run for best results? Should I go back to the 4.04 bootloader since that corresponds with the radios or does that not matter? Are any radio versions recommended above others or is it pretty much YMMV with all of them? Thanks for any help!

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry if this has been addressed but I looked through several pages but havent found an answer to my question. I am new to the gnex and the first thing I did as soon as I got it was to flash TWRP, the JB bootloader, and AOKP JB Build 1 (did everything right, wiped data, cache ect). My 4G signal is pretty much unusable because it drops too often. I have to leave it in CDMA only all the time. I checked the about screen and I have baseband 10 with FC04 and FC05. Is there a radio that is recommended to run for best results? Should I go back to the 4.04 bootloader since that corresponds with the radios or does that not matter? Are any radio versions recommended above others or is it pretty much YMMV with all of them? Thanks for any help!

Wouldn't make a difference, or shouldn't. If 4G keeps dropping you're just in a weak 4G area, or have a defective unit :/

Reactions: zero neck

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't make a difference, or shouldn't. If 4G keeps dropping you're just in a weak 4G area, or have a defective unit :/
Well it is definitely not the area. It is happening in multiple markets (I was traveling over the weekend) all of which my Droid 4 performed flawlessly in. Is defective unit a plausible explanation or does the 4G radio just stink on the Gnex in general?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Well it is definitely not the area. It is happening in multiple markets (I was traveling over the weekend) all of which my Droid 4 performed flawlessly in. Is defective unit a plausible explanation or does the 4G radio just stink on the Gnex in general?

Its not that bad :)

Sounds like it might be a hardware problem, try exchanging would be your best bet.

Pachanga1

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello from a newb to this forum.

I've had my SGN for 3 or 4 months and it has had nothing but crappy signal. I tried to return it, but miss the return period by 5 days so they sent me a refurb. I then took my battery out to put it in the new/refurb one only to notice that the pink was blotched on the phone, but not on the battery. Called them and they told me not to return it. So I'm stuck with this hunk of junk. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but the reception is horrible. I'm running Liquid JB and I have had the latest radios since they came out. Just went on a trip and no one could get a hold of me nor could I do anything with my phone as far as data and it really sucked.

I was going to ask about the hybrids, but after reading, I think I should just hold off till new radios come out (if they do).
I have even just thought about selling the phone if I could get enough out of it and then saving up to get something out of contract.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello from a newb to this forum.

I've had my SGN for 3 or 4 months and it has had nothing but crappy signal. I tried to return it, but miss the return period by 5 days so they sent me a refurb. I then took my battery out to put it in the new/refurb one only to notice that the pink was blotched on the phone, but not on the battery. Called them and they told me not to return it. So I'm stuck with this hunk of junk. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the phone, but the reception is horrible. I'm running Liquid JB and I have had the latest radios since they came out. Just went on a trip and no one could get a hold of me nor could I do anything with my phone as far as data and it really sucked.

I was going to ask about the hybrids, but after reading, I think I should just hold off till new radios come out (if they do).
I have even just thought about selling the phone if I could get enough out of it and then saving up to get something out of contract.

What I would do: wait for the new radios and see if it helps.

Meanwhile, call Verizon every day and complain about the poor signal. Tell them it effects you all the time, work and life and its always bad. Tell them their customer service has been terrible. Complain about the refurb. Ask to speak to managers. Complain (just for the sake of getting what you want) about the infrequent updates. Or the failure of the updates to solve your signal.

They will get you a replacement gnex or something else (RAZR I would guess) if you complain enough. Free of course.

Anyway: I wouldn't take the loss of selling it , since you signed a contract for a working phone, and yours doesn't work.

And btw I hate complaining but you gotta get something done right?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just do it :)

62cc2c04-2965-76a1.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Droidintorrance