[RADIOS][VZW] Galaxy Nexus Radios and Installation Guide

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I hear there is new base band with android 4.2.2. Is this the case and if so when will the new radios be posted at the start of this thread?

I love all the sticky threads here like this one. Great resource. Keep up the good work.

afaik we don't have a new baseband/radio for vzw gnex yet. it'll be available when toro is updated to 4.2 i believe.

if i somehow missed something, tho, post up the link and i'll update the thread. pretty sure it's not available yet, tho

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
the new baseband is for the Nexus 4 to disable the hack to use LTE. As for Verizon and a baseband I'm convinced that's why we haven't recieved an update in 4 versions now.. that and they do take a few months to test things.. the radios in the Galaxy Nexus (toro) are rubbish and Verizon knows it and refuse to release an update till they fix what they seem to not be able to fix..
I don't know much about radios, but I hear the VZW Gnex has issues. What does this mean? Is this why my battery dies so fast? Thanks

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't know much about radios, but I hear the VZW Gnex has issues. What does this mean? Is this why my battery dies so fast? Thanks

The radio issues are kind of a combined issue - the radio hardware isnt the greatest; and some devices will work better with other versions of the radios (there are several you can experiment with).

The battery life is generally an issue of regardless of radio, but the radio could be a factor in losing more battery than you should if: due to weak signal, your phone is constantly searching for network or handing off between lte/3g/1x.

hope that helps

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The radio issues are kind of a combined issue - the radio hardware isnt the greatest; and some devices will work better with other versions of the radios (there are several you can experiment with).

The battery life is generally an issue of regardless of radio, but the radio could be a factor in losing more battery than you should if: due to weak signal, your phone is constantly searching for network or handing off between lte/3g/1x.

hope that helps

I think I get it. I do notice that if I'm on WiFi my battery does a lot better. If I'm in a lte/3g spot where it keep switching the battery drains very quick. I thought bad radio hardware couldn't be fixed, but I guess radio software can make a difference?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think I get it. I do notice that if I'm on WiFi my battery does a lot better. If I'm in a lte/3g spot where it keep switching the battery drains very quick. I thought bad radio hardware couldn't be fixed, but I guess radio software can make a difference?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

some radios will hand off faster, pick up the signal more consistently, etc - i found the most recent 4.1.1 radios to work best for me.

wifi definitely uses less juice than the network, especially if you're not searching for wifi or handing off all the time.

the other thing i used to do was turn off lte. i only used 3g, and that will save ya alot of battery. even still tho, the battery life on gnex isnt terrific.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
the other thing i used to do was turn off lte. i only used 3g, and that will save ya alot of battery. even still tho, the battery life on gnex isnt terrific.

I should try this for when I know I'll be out of WiFi for a long time and only turn on lte if I need it. Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I should try this for when I know I'll be out of WiFi for a long time and only turn on lte if I need it. Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

np, i personally saved a ton of battery that way. i actually never turned lte back on after i turned it off (never needed the speed, i dont download much on the phone, and rarely watch videos on it. that and i stay on wifi when it's available).

good luck

jmorosky

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
afaik we don't have a new baseband/radio for vzw gnex yet. it'll be available when toro is updated to 4.2 i believe.

if i somehow missed something, tho, post up the link and i'll update the thread. pretty sure it's not available yet, tho

This just showed up in XDA. Galaxy Nexus > [CDMA][Radio] 4.2.2 JDQ39 Radios > XDA

Already flashed it. Nothing unusual to report. Downtown CLT always has a strong signal.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You guys are gonna have to bear with me - i got an emergency thing to do (won't bore you with the details) for my law journal last night, got home at 3 am, have class all day, have work to do tonight, etc. I'm basically completely F#$%^&*(d.

I'll get to this asap but i can't promise ya when it will be. But, if you get the new radio files for recovery, you can just follow the directions in the OP using the new files instead of the ones i've mirrored in post 1.

Afroz Munshi1

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have a question for you guys and was hoping you could provide an answer for this. I have a verizon GNEX and got the 4.2 update yesterday. I updated the phone and I got terrible signal on my Phone. So I reverted back to 4.1 and had perfect reception again.

My question is, can I update my phone to 4.2 and then go back, unlock my bootlooder and "JUST" flash the radios that were in 4.1.....? Is this possible....? I have a MAC and I have been flashing everything through the "Terminal" command...

so my phone would have 4.2 (verizon) and my Radios would be from 4.1... Possible....?

Please advise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463