Ok, using Wugs tool kit...now what? Total noob

darb85

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
So this is my first ever try or attempt at unlocking/rooting.

I downloaded wugs tool kit, I think I was successful in flashing new radios, but now what? should I root? What do I do then? Ive read the hitchhikers guide, but alot of it is confusing, what steps are needed with the tool kit? I just really have no idea.

Reasons Im wanting to Root/unlock:

More Battery Time
annoying signal drop where ive never had issues
more battery time
Sounds fun...

So, Now what? where do I need to go? Maybe re read the guide? HELP!

Thanks

Total NOOB.

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
So this is my first ever try or attempt at unlocking/rooting.

I downloaded wugs tool kit, I think I was successful in flashing new radios, but now what? should I root? What do I do then? Ive read the hitchhikers guide, but alot of it is confusing, what steps are needed with the tool kit? I just really have no idea.

Reasons Im wanting to Root/unlock:

More Battery Time
annoying signal drop where ive never had issues
more battery time
Sounds fun...

So, Now what? where do I need to go? Maybe re read the guide? HELP!

Thanks

Total NOOB.

There is this tool. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=20477677

Not sure if its the same as wugs toolkit. I know this one is real easy. You download the app, plug in your phone to PC (make sure phone is in USB debugging mode), launch toolkit on PC, follow directions for Galaxy Nexus Verizon (Toro) CDMA version. I think it will ask what version of ICS you're running too so pick that version. You should be on 4.0.2 right? Pick that one. I believe there is an option to do in all in one automated unlock/root/clockworkmod install. Understand that you need to fully backup the contents of your SD card to your PC before doing anything as unlocking your bootloader wipes everything the first time you unlock it (this is the only time this happens).

Read the thread I linked you too. Good info in there. I wish I could be more help but never really used the tool....only what I've read myself. When i unlocked/rooted the first time, I did it manually through ADB. If you read the thread and follow the prompts in the tool, you should be fine! Good luck! Post if you have more questions but I think if you read the thread and follow the tool prompts, you will be OK!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: zero neck

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
There is this tool. [GNex TOOLKIT V6.1] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash, Mods + MORE [VERIZON] - xda-developers

Not sure if its the same as wugs toolkit. I know this one is real easy. You download the app, plug in your phone to PC (make sure phone is in USB debugging mode), launch toolkit on PC, follow directions for Galaxy Nexus Verizon (Toro) CDMA version. I think it will ask what version of ICS you're running too so pick that version. You should be on 4.0.2 right? Pick that one. I believe there is an option to do in all in one automated unlock/root/clockworkmod install. Understand that you need to fully backup the contents of your SD card to your PC before doing anything as unlocking your bootloader wipes everything the first time you unlock it (this is the only time this happens).

Read the thread I linked you too. Good info in there. I wish I could be more help but never really used the tool....only what I've read myself. When i unlocked/rooted the first time, I did it manually through ADB. If you read the thread and follow the prompts in the tool, you should be fine! Good luck! Post if you have more questions but I think if you read the thread and follow the tool prompts, you will be OK!

SOTK is right, this is an excellent tool kit. It does everything and tells you what to do while working with it. I also prefer this over WUGS because its constantly updated. If your not unlocked or rooted there is a 1 click for all setting that will install drivers, unlock the phone (THIS WILL ERASE EVERYTHING SO BACKUP ACCORDINGLY) root, rename the stock recovery and flash a CWM of your choice (Touch or basic). It also has options to backup if needed. If you already did certain options, just do the ones you need in order. 1-7 i think the options are. Read the directions carefully and you will end up saying "It was that easy?" at the end.

When you are unlocked, rooted with clock work flashed you can do what you want from there. Flash a rom, Radios, whatever. To check for root after you run the tool kit go to your app drawer and look for "Superuser". If you see it then your rooted, if not something didnt go right.

Don't let unlocking/rooting scare you, do your home work, TAKE YOUR TIME, READ, and you will be fine. Any issues post in the forum, there are people like myself that are here to help. Any specific questions just post or you can message me if you need, i was in your position once before, its nice to have someone to ask questions too when needed.

Good luck.

Reactions: SOTK

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
its pretty easy, once you get all the drivers installed and working correctly.
i would backup your apps before you do anything.
and backup anything on the "sd card" that you want
tap the "unlock bootloader" and follow the prompts
once finished, tap the "root" button and follow the prompts.
once finished, restore your apps and SD card data
i can't remember if his tool kit installs clockwork mod or not...so download ROM manager and make sure you flash CWM....i HIGHLY suggest the touch recover...so much nicer than the regular one.

download a ROM and Kernen (i suggest AOKP M5 and Frankos M3...fantastic combo)
backup your apps with titanium backup or an equivalent (also suggest the pro key)
use ROM manager to boot into recovery
once in CWM recovery (black background with android guy and blue text)
wipe data factory reset
wipe cache
install .zip from sd card
choose .zip
navigate to the ROM
install it, and the gapps
install the kernel after that
reboot
skip initial sign in
open the play store and sign in
download titanium (and pro key if you bought)
batch restore the user apps and data
then set everything up once the batch restore is finished.
and you should be all set. then just enjoy and tweak the ROM to your liking.

darb85

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
its pretty easy, once you get all the drivers installed and working correctly.
i would backup your apps before you do anything.
and backup anything on the "sd card" that you want
tap the "unlock bootloader" and follow the prompts
once finished, tap the "root" button and follow the prompts.
once finished, restore your apps and SD card data
i can't remember if his tool kit installs clockwork mod or not...so download ROM manager and make sure you flash CWM....i HIGHLY suggest the touch recover...so much nicer than the regular one.

download a ROM and Kernen (i suggest AOKP M5 and Frankos M3...fantastic combo)
backup your apps with titanium backup or an equivalent (also suggest the pro key)
use ROM manager to boot into recovery
once in CWM recovery (black background with android guy and blue text)
wipe data factory reset
wipe cache
install .zip from sd card
choose .zip
navigate to the ROM
install it, and the gapps
install the kernel after that
reboot
skip initial sign in
open the play store and sign in
download titanium (and pro key if you bought)
batch restore the user apps and data
then set everything up once the batch restore is finished.
and you should be all set. then just enjoy and tweak the ROM to your liking.

Where can I read how to do all this? in other words, can you add more stupid to this? im working on figuring this out, but I have zero experience.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Where can I read how to do all this? in other words, can you add more stupid to this? im working on figuring this out, but I have zero experience.

check out hte stickies in this subforum.

CW's guides, wug's toolkit guide, etc. Very good resources.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have lost my recovery and am trying to get it back. I am not totally sure I still have root, please help. Bootloader is unlocked and I had root until I flashed the new update last night. I just need a point to a post that details where I am and how to proceed. I downloaded the Toolkit and it does not have the new build number as an option. I am a NOOB at rooting but have no problem following detailed directions. I tried to flash CWM and it stopped and said there was an error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have lost my recovery and am trying to get it back. I am not totally sure I still have root, please help. Bootloader is unlocked and I had root until I flashed the new update last night. I just need a point to a post that details where I am and how to proceed. I downloaded the Toolkit and it does not have the new build number as an option. I am a NOOB at rooting but have no problem following detailed directions. I tried to flash CWM and it stopped and said there was an error. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You need the updated su zip. If you look in dmmarxks thread in the general forum towards the last few pages you'll find it.

I'm not at a CPU but you can reroot with wugs and the updated su if you can find it.

Or, I can post up the su and instructions for doing it manually, but probably not till I get to my CPU, which is likely not till tomorrow am.

Gl

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Still no luck. I installed the su.zip from dmmarck and ran the root option on Wugs and installed the zip from recovery. I try to update CWM through RM and I get a force close and an error message. I try to reboot into recovery from RM and I get a force close. I then tried to go to recovery through fastboot menu and was given the android with the red exclamation point.
Wugs made it through the process without any problems. Am at a loss about what to do now. Bootloader is still unlocked so I hope a reset of the phone won't be required.
Thanks for any help anyone can give.

bbudnick5001

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I am new to the whole rooting and flashing thing too! Today I used the wugs toolkit to unlock and root my device. I used the backup with the toolkit and also made a copy of my SD card on my computer. I downloaded root keeper before I flashed the new 4.0.4 update. After the update I went into root keeper to restore root. That's when I started researching different apps and such, however I ran into a problem. The new apps I download are saying that they can't get root access. I still have superuser on my phone so I think I am still rooted. Can anyone give me some advice? Like I said i am a first time rooter and everything seemed to go too easy up till this point. Also, I haven't noticed any difference with the new radios, thank god for wifi at my house.

bbudnick5001

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I was messing around with some roms in cwm and my phone just rebooted and went to a pink unicorn? Anyways I was able to get into cwm recovery and recover one of my backups. That's when I noticed in fast boot under device name it says tuna. I thought maybe this was abnormal so I flashed 4.0.2 again unrooted relocked unlocked rerooted and am now on 4.0.2 again. Tuna still reads under device name. Is this normal for the gnex?

SOTK

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I was messing around with some roms in cwm and my phone just rebooted and went to a pink unicorn? Anyways I was able to get into cwm recovery and recover one of my backups. That's when I noticed in fast boot under device name it says tuna. I thought maybe this was abnormal so I flashed 4.0.2 again unrooted relocked unlocked rerooted and am now on 4.0.2 again. Tuna still reads under device name. Is this normal for the gnex?

Tuna is the name designation for the type of board used in our phone. Its normal. For example, the ATT name designation for the GNex is maguro. When you download radios, kernels, Roms, etc always make sure that you see Tuna and/or Verizon as the designation otherwise you could run into some problems.

The pink unicorn is the boot image for the AOKP Rom so there were no problems when you saw this. Some Roms have their own custom boot animations.

I would urge you to stay away from flashing Roms/kernels/etc from Rom Manager. Download the files yourself to your phones internal SD card and manually flash them yourself in CWM. You can use Rom Manager to automate booting into CWM. Once in, choose factory reset to wipe your phone, then choose install zip from SD card, find the Rom you downloaded, click on it, and it will flash the Rom. You should have also downloaded Gapps (Google Application). Find this file, also flash it (same procedure). Reboot system. That's all there is to it. Its a good idea to do manual installs like this because it lessens the risk of Rom Manager installing wrong versions of Roms. Also, its a good learning exercise for you...every android flasher should get comfortable with CWM. For more information about all I wrote, read the many tutorials found here at Android Central and at other sites. Good learning info in forum stickies! Good luck!

Reactions: zero neck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nephalem42