Mic not working since flashing AOKP

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It seems that since I flashed AOKP that my mic has pretty much stopped working. People I talk to can't hear me and I can't dictate to the phone. Not sure if its an odd coincidence with the timing and if the mic just conked out on its own or if its related to the ROM. If I have a wired headset plugged in it works fine, but just talking into the phone I get nothing.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
It seems that since I flashed AOKP that my mic has pretty much stopped working. People I talk to can't hear me and I can't dictate to the phone. Not sure if its an odd coincidence with the timing and if the mic just conked out on its own or if its related to the ROM. If I have a wired headset plugged in it works fine, but just talking into the phone I get nothing.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

No idea about the cause, sounds like it could be a coincidence.

If you have a backup from before you flashed it, I'd revert to that and see if the problem goes away (you can make another backup of your current setup so you can get right back to it anyway). If you don't have a backup, you might want to try a factory restore (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...the-bootloader-and-return-to-a-factory-state/) just to see if you can indeed get it working again... note you can still backup your current setup, but you will want to move the backup itself from your sd card to your computer or something since the full factory restore and bootloader stuff would wipe the sd card.

At least then you can see if you have a hardware problem or not. Hopefully not, in which case I would just start fresh and reflash AOKP after a full wipe. The ROM shouldn't cause any issue. Hope that helps.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Interestingly if I put my mouth right up to the bottom of the phone and speak quite loudly into it it will transcribe what I'm saying, but not if I speak normally to it. Its almost like the input level on the mic is turned down.

As much as I realize going back to stock would be an obvious way to sort it out, I guess I was trying to find an easier answer as I view the whole flashing process as kinda painful. Maybe if I learn how to do the backup thing it would be less painful.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly if I put my mouth right up to the bottom of the phone and speak quite loudly into it it will transcribe what I'm saying, but not if I speak normally to it. Its almost like the input level on the mic is turned down.

As much as I realize going back to stock would be an obvious way to sort it out, I guess I was trying to find an easier answer as I view the whole flashing process as kinda painful. Maybe if I learn how to do the backup thing it would be less painful.

How to do the backup thing:
1. Boot into recovery
2. Hit Backup / Restore
3. Hit Backup.

How to restore a backup thing:
1. Boot into recovery
2. Hit Backup / Restore
3. Hit Restore
4. Select the backup file you would like to restore.

Really is that simple :)

Not being a wisea$$ (well, maybe a little)..

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
How to do the backup thing:
1. Boot into recovery
2. Hit Backup / Restore
3. Hit Backup.

How to restore a backup thing:
1. Boot into recovery
2. Hit Backup / Restore
3. Hit Restore
4. Select the backup file you would like to restore.

Really is that simple :)

Not being a wisea$$ (well, maybe a little)..

No, I'm good with the WA thing. :) Maybe I just needed someone to break down the simplicity of it for me. What all does that back up exactly? So I do that, it backs up everything on my phone now, backs it up to the memory somewhere, I do that back to stock thing and then if I wanted to could restore the backup to where I am now?

Although, if its a bad mic I'm going to have to visit the friendly neighborhood Verizon store and probably shouldn't be rooted for that visit I assume.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
No, I'm good with the WA thing. :) Maybe I just needed someone to break down the simplicity of it for me. What all does that back up exactly? So I do that, it backs up everything on my phone now, backs it up to the memory somewhere, I do that back to stock thing and then if I wanted to could restore the backup to where I am now?

Although, if its a bad mic I'm going to have to visit the friendly neighborhood Verizon store and probably shouldn't be rooted for that visit I assume.

Backup contains your system and kernel, all your data, etc. Doesn't touch the radios, thats it, everything else is basically an exact image of your phone as it is now.

It backs it up to your sdcard/clockworkmod/backups folder. If you do that full factory image restore it MAY wipe your sd card, which is why I recommended grabbing the backups folder and moving it to your computer for safekeeping, after you make the backup, of course. I'm not positive on whether or not it does... But if you go all the way through the instructions and re-lock the bootloader as well then I'm pretty sure it will wipe the sd card... or maybe that's only when you unlock the bootloader, not relock it, I forget....

Anyways.. if its a hardware issue, then restoring the factory images and relocking the bootloader before you bring it back to verizon will do the trick. It will be completely stock, unrooted, and locked up, so you should be fine.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Its nice that standard shipping time is 5 days via USPS. I lamented to the rep how its rather poor service on Verizon's part for me to have a non working phone (relatively) for 5 days. So I opted for the $6 second day shipping. I'll just have to keep a wired headset handy until it arrives. I went to the store sort of hoping that they'd have replacement phones there, but no dice.

At least now I get to start with a new scratchless screen.... So much for that Gorilla Glass alternative that is 'just at good'.

Basil Elias

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I faced th esame issue when I flashed the latest Milestone release of AOKP. I am in so much love of the ROM that it had gotten onto my nerves. So went back to stock. But, on seconds thought and the mundane options in Stock, I flashed the Milestone ROM again and everything works just fine.

This could be a header:

Before flashing the ROM,
1. Wipe/factory reset
2. Clear cache
3. Install ROM
4. Wipe Dalvik Cache.

This just worked fro me. I take no responsibility of bricking your phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463