Let's talk Kernel,ROMs, etc.

Spaniard85

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
If you want to try something less stock and more innovative, I highly recommend the Paranoid Android rom. It's based on CM9, but it has a hybrid tablet/phone interface that uses some of the features in tablet apps (like 2-pane Gmail and 3D YouTube) and a notification center on tablets. It's highly customizable, and has totally changed the way I use my Nexus. You can check out some screenshots & install instructions here:

GSM Nexus: [ROM] PARANOIDANDROID [CM9HYBRID] [120531-1.1b: TOGGLES, NEW MENUBTN, FORCE, ++++FIX] - xda-developers
Verizon nexus: [ROM] PARANOIDANDROID [CM9HYBRID] [120521-0.9b: PER-APP-LAYOUT, AN ANDROIDS FIRST!!!] - xda-developers

WOW. That's looking very well done and polished. I'm going to give that a run tonight. The ability to switched between phone, hybrid, and tablet modes with a per-app basis is freaking insane! Can't wait!

grantith

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
WOW. That's looking very well done and polished. I'm going to give that a run tonight. The ability to switched between phone, hybrid, and tablet modes with a per-app basis is freaking insane! Can't wait!

It's really a high quality ROM. You can also change the DPI for each individual app so if the default for an app is a little small, you can easily change it without affecting everything else. I'm totally hooked on this ROM.

Reactions: Spaniard85

Spaniard85

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
It's really a high quality ROM. You can also change the DPI for each individual app so if the default for an app is a little small, you can easily change it without affecting everything else. I'm totally hooked on this ROM.

Ya it sounds awesome. I keep getting a "gateway timeout" when trying to download the gapps though. I'm assuming that they're different than the normal ones available for a normal AOSP ROM right? If so, anyone know of a mirror for them?

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ya it sounds awesome. I keep getting a "gateway timeout" when trying to download the gapps though. I'm assuming that they're different than the normal ones available for a normal AOSP ROM right? If so, anyone know of a mirror for them?

i'd link you the file but im getting the same thing. i just tried downloading them like ten times.

if aokp linaro 4 doesnt come tomorrow i'm flashing paranoid android for a ride around the block. btw a new build of paranoid android is coming tomorrow most likely so you might want to hold off till then.

Spaniard85

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
i'd link you the file but im getting the same thing. i just tried downloading them like ten times.

if aokp linaro 4 doesnt come tomorrow i'm flashing paranoid android for a ride around the block. btw a new build of paranoid android is coming tomorrow most likely so you might want to hold off till then.

Ya I've read that, I'm just being impatient. I'll live though. I'm actually still running the first release of the Linaro AOKP build.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Ya I've read that, I'm just being impatient. I'll live though. I'm actually still running the first release of the Linaro AOKP build.

same here. flashed 02 but had to restore 01 to get some phone numbers.

didnt notice much of a difference between the two.

hoping for 04 but would welcome a second trial of paranoid android - seems to have come a long way since i tried it last at least a month ago.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
same here. flashed 02 but had to restore 01 to get some phone numbers.

didnt notice much of a difference between the two.

hoping for 04 but would welcome a second trial of paranoid android - seems to have come a long way since i tried it last at least a month ago.

Lol Zero, afaik, the O2 or O3 in the Linaro builds is like a type of compiling they use when building it.. The "official" Linaro method uses O3 like the recent aokp one, but Roman used O2 the first build just because it's simpler or faster to build or something.. Ok someone can explain it better than that I'm sure... But yeah its not versions, like you won't see an O4 then O5 or so.. :)
*The More You Know... *

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: zero neck

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
If you want to try something less stock and more innovative, I highly recommend the Paranoid Android rom. It's based on CM9, but it has a hybrid tablet/phone interface that uses some of the features in tablet apps (like 2-pane Gmail and 3D YouTube) and a notification center on tablets. It's highly customizable, and has totally changed the way I use my Nexus. You can check out some screenshots & install instructions here:

GSM Nexus: [ROM] PARANOIDANDROID [CM9HYBRID] [120531-1.1b: TOGGLES, NEW MENUBTN, FORCE, ++++FIX] - xda-developers
Verizon nexus: [ROM] PARANOIDANDROID [CM9HYBRID] [120521-0.9b: PER-APP-LAYOUT, AN ANDROIDS FIRST!!!] - xda-developers

Wow, looks amazing. This ROM would be killer on the Galaxy Note..

grantith

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

Spaniard85

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

grantith

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Awesome, thanks! I'm gonna go ahead and give the 1.1b build a try just to get a taste of it. If I run into any issues, that's what nandroids are for!

You probably already got this, but only use that mirror link for the gapps because the actual ROM file on that mirror are for the GSM Nexus.

Swavek

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Lol Zero, afaik, the O2 or O3 in the Linaro builds is like a type of compiling they use when building it.. The "official" Linaro method uses O3 like the recent aokp one, but Roman used O2 the first build just because it's simpler or faster to build or something.. Ok someone can explain it better than that I'm sure... But yeah its not versions, like you won't see an O4 then O5 or so.. :)
*The More You Know... *

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

the "O2" uses modest optimizations whereas the O3 build uses more aggressive optimizations similar to what Linaro has. I'm running the O2 version because the O3 version gave me random GPS trouble and other anomalies.

Reactions: 2defmouze