First Flash: AOKP 39 w/ Franco kernel, signal is grey, weak

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Title says it all. I just rooted my Nexus and went with the "latest" build of AOKP and flashed Franco along with it. First off, I love this brave new world of customization I'm clawing my way through. I'm never going back to non-root again.

However, signal seems to have taken a nose dive, as has battery life. Both WiFi and cell bars are always grey even after rebooting and it's not as strong as it was with the stock ROM/kernel. When I flashed I did not know that a Milestone meant a stable ROM, so I'm guessing that using this tester build could be my problem.

Thoughts?

Shiftastic

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Did you wipe before flashing? If not that could be your issue. I've been using the same setup since build 39 got released and having no issues at all.

Sent from my Nexus Prime

Reactions: KineticMD

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm on build 39 myself and my signal if anything is stronger than it has ever been. Not sure why you are having this issue. Did you wipe data and cache before you flashed? Are you on 4.0.4 radios?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus by way of Tapatalk

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
By chance did you use titanium backup to restore anything? I used titanium and restored a while back. Don't remember what from I was flashing but I didn't have connection to Google services hence the gray bars.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

pprichar

May 29, 2011
Visit site
By chance did you use titanium backup to restore anything? I used titanium and restored a while back. Don't remember what from I was flashing but I didn't have connection to Google services hence the gray bars.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

This.

I installed 39+Franco and then restored and boom Grey. Actually anything I was flashing was Grey with Titanium Backup for some reason.

Reactions: KineticMD

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I think Titanium Backup might have been my issue. I did install the latest gapps, am on 4.0.4 radios, and did a full wipe of my phone before the flash so I'm fine in those regards. But I did indeed use titanium backup to restore my app data, so later on I'll do this whole dealio again and see what happens.

DroidRat

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm relatively new to this whole flashing thing as well and have had this problem several times. I too tried reflashing, clearing caches, and whatnot....what has always fixed it for me was the following:
Phone settings
Apps
All
Scroll until you find 'Google Services Framework' and select it
Clear cache
Clear data
Reboot

Tryt that and see...

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone, here's some quick things regarding radio signal:

The ROM itself has nothing to do with radio signal. Two pieces of "software" do, however. They are the (1) baseband (aka your "radios") and (2) the kernel. Remember, this is Linux here. The kernel is the piece of software that communicates with your hardware; it's the brain, the "nexus," the go-between.

If you flash a new rom you also flash a new kernel--whatever is included with the rom. You can flash other kernels separately; in fact, one of the first things I always do is flash my favorite kernel--franco--to ensure that I can judge the rom on its own merits and not on anything freaky...like losing signal, connection, etc.

So in short, if you flashed a rom--like here--and you have signal issues, you can do several things: rewipe everything and do a clean install to ENSURE that nothing is left behind (i.e. no ghosts in the machine), update your radios to the latest 4.0.4 IMM76K radios, and change your kernel.

Kernels take a day or two to "set." Why? Beats me. But it takes a solid day or so to judge them, so try a new kernel and see what else happens.

In addition, grey signal = no "google connection." No sync. Try unsyncing your account, resyncing it, or going into Airplane mode.

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I have taken/am taking everyone's advice, so all you fine people get a hearty thanks!

I'm all ICS blue right now after re-flashing and re-configuring. Battery's going to take a few days to adequately judge, as dmmarck said, but so far I like where this root thing is taking me. :cool:

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon